Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Moving to the salty side?

More
09 Dec 2016 16:34 #121 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Any progress or any idea when you'll be getting the tank wet?

Think I will leave it dry, looks nice that way and no water changes! Lol Just waiting on the RO stuff to come. Post seems to be very show this last week or so, lots of online shopping being done is say. Hoping to have it wet next week.

Stephen.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2016 16:45 #122 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
The tank is gonna look awesome with fishes and corals !!!!

More
09 Dec 2016 16:58 #123 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

The tank is gonna look awesome with fishes and corals !!!!

Thanks Anthony, going to test out that ATM stuff so if all goes to plan there should be fish in it before Christmas.

More
09 Dec 2016 18:13 #124 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
You might end up setting up a marine shrimp rack after that tank :-D

More
09 Dec 2016 18:51 #125 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Anthony there are some absolutely amazing marine shrimp available! I could sit and watch my boxer shrimp and cleaner shrimp all day long!

More
09 Dec 2016 18:52 #126 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Any progress or any idea when you'll be getting the tank wet?

Think I will leave it dry, looks nice that way and no water changes! Lol Just waiting on the RO stuff to come. Post seems to be very show this last week or so, lots of online shopping being done is say. Hoping to have it wet next week.

Stephen.

That's probably not a bad idea really! Tho it won't look so good with dried up fish and inverts lying at the bottom of it lol

More
09 Dec 2016 19:36 #127 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

You might end up setting up a marine shrimp rack after that tank :-D

Dont be putting ideas in my head Anthony! lol

More
09 Dec 2016 19:43 - 09 Dec 2016 19:44 #128 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thinking about stock now. Pair of clown fish to start, i think the tank is to small for tangs? Would a foxface be ok? Display volume is 335l with 90l sump. Cleaner shrimp are a must i think along with the rest of a clean up crew. Anymore suggestion? I like stock which is useful in the tank as well as cool looking. Seen a Royal Gramma Basslet in SW really cool little fish.

Stephen
Last edit: 09 Dec 2016 19:44 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
11 Dec 2016 20:36 #129 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Puck stock carefully! Remember your going to go thru stages of algae and so on! So plenty of hermits, snails and other algae eaters! Pistol shrimp and goby combo work very well and have a fantastic relationship to watch! My little sulphur goby looks like a right hump little bugger but he's very very pretty! My blenny is another algae eater and my urchin keeps my rock clean! Different snails help to turn over substrate and keep it clean also
Everything in my tank currently has a job to do! Unfortunately tho my corals are not doing well at all and I can't work out why! When I work it out I'll let you know so you can look out for the same thing and avoid whatever mistake I have made!
You might find that a yellow tang will be OK in your tank! They don't get massive and are really very pretty things to watch aswell

More
13 Dec 2016 11:42 - 13 Dec 2016 11:43 #130 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Puck stock carefully! Remember your going to go thru stages of algae and so on! So plenty of hermits, snails and other algae eaters! Pistol shrimp and goby combo work very well and have a fantastic relationship to watch! My little sulphur goby looks like a right hump little bugger but he's very very pretty! My blenny is another algae eater and my urchin keeps my rock clean! Different snails help to turn over substrate and keep it clean also
Everything in my tank currently has a job to do! Unfortunately tho my corals are not doing well at all and I can't work out why! When I work it out I'll let you know so you can look out for the same thing and avoid whatever mistake I have made!
You might find that a yellow tang will be OK in your tank! They don't get massive and are really very pretty things to watch aswell

Thanks for the reply, at least someone is reading this thread lol. Got the quarantine tank setup yesterday so happy days. Still waiting on the RO filters and resin to arrive. Still hoping to get water into the tank this week.

Are all your corals not doing well or is it just certain one not doing so well. I have been doing a lot of reading on them so maybe pop up your water parameters and i could help you find the issue?

Stephen
Last edit: 13 Dec 2016 11:43 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
13 Dec 2016 12:04 #131 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
I think you will find everybody is reading this thread attentively Stephen...Very very interesting stuff!

More
13 Dec 2016 12:53 #132 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Pic of the quarantine tank, nothing fancy just sponge filter, small power head, heater and 2 bits of PVC i borrowed from my dads shed! Might also pop in a bit of spare rock i have.

Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2016 15:58 - 13 Dec 2016 16:02 #133 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Definitely throw in a few rocks and extra hiding places to help the quarantined fish feel more relaxed which will help diffuse stress levels...

The other thing to remember when stocking the main tank is to add the larger more dominant bigger species later...Add the more docile smaller ones first...You are less likely to have bullying issues this way...
Last edit: 13 Dec 2016 16:02 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
15 Dec 2016 11:05 #134 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Ok guys, got one of the new RO membranes and the new DI resin so started producing 0 tds water this morning! Nice to finally see water in the tank at last! Will probably be tomorrow before its full.

Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2016 11:49 #135 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Happy days matey!
That's the same substrate I have! Keep the pics coming!

More
17 Dec 2016 12:39 #136 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Tank is full now, all pumps running! Have to say its a little more noisy then i expected. Each pump individually is not noisy but all running its a bit too noisy for me. Might look into getting a ecotech vectra m1 return pump in January.

Had a small leak in the return line which was easy to fix. I think i have a little too much water in it so will fine tune it over the next view days. At them min im working on salinity which is all new to me!

I have a love hate relationship with the 26hd's! The lights them self's are excellent but i hate the wifi connection, signal keeps dropping and it wont connect. I guess one i get them setup i wont have to mess around with them much. Some pix below.

Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2016 12:44 #137 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Oh also installed these hidden magnetic locks to keep my 1 year old from swimming in my sump! Might be handy for some of you guys.

www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Drawer-Cupboar...hidden+magnetic+lock

More
17 Dec 2016 12:45 #138 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Excellent attention to detail...Awesome stuff Stephen!!!

More
18 Dec 2016 18:41 #139 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
My primes done the same thing!!! So what I done was completely reset them and set them up from scratch again! Didn't have the same issue again!

More
24 Dec 2016 12:34 #140 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

My primes done the same thing!!! So what I done was completely reset them and set them up from scratch again! Didn't have the same issue again!

Yeah tried that alright. I think the problem is im using a wifi extender and my tablet is swapping between the extender and the actual router. No big deal just a bit annoying!

Stephen.

More
24 Dec 2016 12:43 #141 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Quick update, Used atm colony and added 2 common clown fish on Tuesday. Been monitoring parameters and have to say im impressed so far. I added colony in the morning before i went to get the fish. Ammonia was at 0.8 when i got home about 2 hours later i checked again and got 0.2ppm. Added the fish and all is fine.

I have been feeding lightly as per instructions, been watching behavior and parameters all are fine and fish doing very well so far.

More
24 Dec 2016 12:48 #142 by JohnH (John)

Oh also installed these hidden magnetic locks to keep my 1 year old from swimming in my sump! Might be handy for some of you guys.

Thanks a million Stephen - these locks are exactly what I will need for a (non-aquatic) project. I never knew of their existence until now.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Dec 2016 13:38 #143 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Thanks a million Stephen - these locks are exactly what I will need for a (non-aquatic) project. I never knew of their existence until now.

John

No problem John, They work better then i expected to be honest! I have ordered more for baby proofing the rest of the house.

Stephen

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds