Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aquarium Controller

More
16 Jul 2016 07:53 #1 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hey all, Anyone using an apex controller or reef keeper Aquarium Controller? Just looking for some feedback on them.

Thanks
Stephen.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2016 10:57 - 17 Jul 2016 10:59 #2 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Stephen

I have an Apex controller. So far very happy with it. It is an excellent piece of kit. I have quite a few modules. I got 3 power bards, breakout box, PM2, Display unit, Leak Detectors, 2 IceCaps for my gyres, pH, ORP, Conductivity and Temp probes, etc. Nothing has given me any trouble whatsoever.

I can't recommend aquarium controllers highly enough. They are really a must IMO for any aquarists but since you are considering them too I dont think I need to tell you about this.

It not only keeps an eye on your aquarium (on your behalf) you can also use it (and should) to automate things such as turning on/off pumps, heaters, chillers, lights, wave makers under certain situations like water level too low, temperature too high etc.

It can also send you alerts (via email or audible) in the event of again, certain event occurring in your tank such as temperature too high, pH too low, etc etc etc.

I will be uploading a review of the product soon (hopefully).

What are your expectations with the controller?

Also, I got mine from Seahorse, and they did look after me well although it took a few weeks for them to get all the stuff. However, with the pound being so low now I would recommend using places such as coralculture or fastlight (I use Coralculture quite often and find Nick very responsive and prices are quite competitive IMO). They will all need to go back to their resellers to get the bits you will be ordering as they normally dont have them in stock.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 10:59 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
19 Jul 2016 13:27 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning my first marine tank at the min and want to do it the rite way from the beginning. I'm spending a lot of time reaching all the components starting with the basics like return pumps etc.

A controller seems the way to go, I love all the hi tech stuff and the functionally of the Apex system is rite up my street. Love the idea of it keeping an eye on my system while im away or at work and letting me know it there is a problem. Is it something you would recommend getting at the beginning or could i add it into my system 6 months or a year after setup?

Looking forward to reading your review.

Stephen

More
19 Jul 2016 14:35 #4 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hi Stephen

I suggest opening a new thread when you start the tank, you might want to have a look at mine as well so you can see my progress for the last 1-2 years. And mine is still on going!

The Apex basic package is pretty good, comes with a pH probe, temperature and salinity (if I am correct), a power bar, and that is more or less enough for most of the stuff I mentioned. Best thing about the Apex is that you can add modules such as extra power bars, or extra modules for extra functionality anytime. So you can start with the basic package and then add stuff as you go along.

Have a look at my thread in the marine section that will give you a good idea of what I did and what was going through my mind years ago lol

And feel free to ask as many questions as you want! :)

More
20 Jul 2016 10:27 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Will have a read of your thread when the boss goes home!

Stephen.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds