Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Skimmer

More
13 Jan 2017 17:45 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Skimmer was created by Jonlate (Jon Late)
As many know I now have a aquaone aquanano 40 marine starter, which is about 55 litres in volume.
The stand and tank together are 120cm high. this detail is added because of my question.
Can I add a skimmer to it that will stand in the cabinet and feed from the tank, into the skimmer, and back to the tank, without using a sump? Is there such a skimmer?

I don't really want to use a hang on back one as then I need to drag it out from the wall, and don't want anything above the rim of the tank.

If I can't do this then I could add a small sump tank into the bottom of the cabinet, but how would I go about pumping that to a skimmer?

Another problem I can see is that on this tank the filtration is built into the back of the tank. What I have noticed is that as I lose water, the display tank stays the same level and the water in the back compartment goes down.
So if I take a feed from the filter compartments to feed the skimmer I have the strong possibility of the skimmer running out of water when the water level drops.
If I take water from the main tank, then if the skimmer stops for some reason, then I will end up syphoning water from the rank straight onto the floor.

So any suggestions on what to do?
Is there a stand alone skimmer? What size do I need for a 55 litre?
Should I get a sump and run it this way? If so what skimmer and I suppose return pump do I need?
Or should I just get a HOB skimmer?

Thanks all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2017 18:28 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Replied by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey) on topic Skimmer
Hello, quick question. Whats your plan for this tank? Fish only or are you adding coral?

More
13 Jan 2017 20:36 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Skimmer
I forgot to add that.
It's a fish and coral tank with aquaroche insert.

More
13 Jan 2017 20:53 #4 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Have you thought about not running a skimmer? Once you don't overstock the tank and keep an eye on parameters then use water changes for your nutrient extraction? When i was planning my tank i considered not using a skimmer and from the research i did its definitely possible. In the end i got a tank with a sump so got a skimmer.

Maybe spend the money on a good auto top off which in my humble opinion is essential for stability.

There are some good HOB skimmers but they dont look the best.

www.bubble-magus.com/productinfo.aspx?id=545

Stephen.

More
13 Jan 2017 23:24 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Some good ideas there.
At the moment I don't run a skimmer at all, but thought maybe I should do it helps with keeping the water cleaner.
I do find I have to add water every 2nd day to keep the water level right.

So really what you are suggesting is, it would be better money wise and tank wise, to buy a auto top off, than it would be to buy a skimmer.

What sort of top off is the next question?
Anyone have one for a 55 litre tank they don't need? Or should I make my own?

I could ask Bohrio as he's selling up, but his probably has a auto top up for the auto topup, and a app telling him it low!! ( sorry Alex!!)

More
14 Jan 2017 11:55 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Some good ideas there.
At the moment I don't run a skimmer at all, but thought maybe I should do it helps with keeping the water cleaner.
I do find I have to add water every 2nd day to keep the water level right.

So really what you are suggesting is, it would be better money wise and tank wise, to buy a auto top off, than it would be to buy a skimmer.

What sort of top off is the next question?
Anyone have one for a 55 litre tank they don't need? Or should I make my own?

I could ask Bohrio as he's selling up, but his probably has a auto top up for the auto topup, and a app telling him it low!! ( sorry Alex!!)

Are you having problems with water parameters? A skimmer will definitely improve your water quality however if your water parameters are within range and your tank inhabitants are growing without the skimmer i wouldn't rock the boat! Even if your parameters are a bit off there are other ways to improve them like not overfeeding, adding marine pure media or Rowaphos in a bag or doing bigger water changes. There are a lot of options.

Im not saying don't get a skimmer, in fact if you had the room for one or didn't mind the look of a HOB skimmer i would say for sure get one. These HOB skimmers have a small collection cup so will need to be cleaned often, just so your aware.

Regarding ATO's there are many on the market from my research the Tunze Osmolator nano or Smart ATO Micro get good reviews and are simple to setup.

Stephen

More
14 Jan 2017 15:09 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks Stephen
My water parameters are pretty stable according to my test kits.
I was just thinking can I make it better for both the fish and coral and give them a better life?
Can I give them better parameters?
I don't want them just surviving I want them thriving!

I change 10 litres of water (of 55 litres) every two weeks, and have filter floss right at the beginning of the filter stuff. Snails stir the sand bed, and I am very careful not to over feed.

I will look into marine pure media and rowaphos, and a topup. I think that this might be a good idea in helping keeping the tank nice.
If I then want to, or feel a need to, add a skimmmer later then I can.
This will also keep the tank quieter as it doesn't have a skimmer.

Sounds like a plan.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds