Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Red Sea Max Aquariums

More
16 Jun 2007 05:23 #1 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I am thinking of getting one of these to replace my old fashion style black tank (1980s) as its an eye sore in a modern house, for one of these in white does any have any experiences with these type of tanks, I believe it cost 1,150Euros its just to house a pair of common clowns.

www.redseamax.com

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2007 14:45 #2 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: Red Sea Max Aquariums
Not that I'm an expert ,nor do I have the same experiance as your good self on the subject, however, I set up a redsea aquarium for a friend of mine and I was very impressed with the whole setup, two built in pumps, built in skimmer, and interpet twin daylight T5's . They look very well and easy to maintain plus they have their own timers.

And I might be able to get you a deal (PM me) :wink:

Regards Paul

More
17 Jun 2007 11:31 #3 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Hi Paul,
I guess they are alot of money for what it is, but its small for a corner and I dont have to bother doing any DIY trickle filter, Qes is the a trickle filter in the sense that the medium is above water level so the bacteria are not competing for O2 in the water, also if you are away for 2 weeks will its internal sump run dry? as far as getting one over to Majorca Spain, my LFS can do it for about 1100Euros the LFS shop says the lights are not good enough for anemones, put some of the easiest corals could be kept, there's no way one can suspend a metal halide so its not flexible lighting wise..

More
19 Jun 2007 04:35 #4 by Tetra (Tetra)
Personaly I think thats crazy money for that size of a tank.The only thing appeling about it is that its an all in one meaning no set up.I think myself the best part of doing a tank is setting it up your own way and then sharing info on how you have it fitering etc.E1100 for the tank not including accessories like salt LR hydrometer list goes on.I recently myself bought an all in one (orca tl450) off my brother for E300 (still feeling done by for a 58litre tank) including everything who bought it for E600 which is CRAZY .E600 for a poor quality tank which leaves microbubbles in the display.These type of tanks are for people starting off in marine and are usually on the spur of the moment purchases.In my opinion stay away from all in ones theres stupid fiddly little bits on them you cant upgrade any componets on them and if you can its crazy money.
You can get a much better quality tank and BIGGER for the same price.
Set up your own Fr Jack
Tank and stand E400
MH E300
Refuge E100 inc piping and lighting
Trickle tower E60
Total price E860 much better quality tank.
Rant over :roll: :roll:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jun 2007 05:13 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Red Sea Max Aquariums
Tetra-Tetra, I was expecting you to have a 'priceless' entry on your rant there!!

But I agree completely.
A mate of mine (who can barely keep Bala sharks alive) recently went out and impulse bought the red sea 120l tank.
Yes its a lovely tank and very neat and tidy.
But €1300 is a lot of lolly.

I'll stick with my three tanks for a while yet.
Marine is the pinacle in my book, so its something to aim for when I have a lot more experience.

More
19 Jun 2007 08:22 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Personaly I think thats crazy money for that size of a tank.The only thing appeling about it is that its an all in one meaning no set up.I think myself the best part of doing a tank is setting it up your own way and then sharing info on how you have it fitering etc.E1100 for the tank not including accessories like salt LR hydrometer list goes on.I recently myself bought an all in one (orca tl450) off my brother for E300 (still feeling done by for a 58litre tank) including everything who bought it for E600 which is CRAZY .E600 for a poor quality tank which leaves microbubbles in the display.These type of tanks are for people starting off in marine and are usually on the spur of the moment purchases.In my opinion stay away from all in ones theres stupid fiddly little bits on them you cant upgrade any componets on them and if you can its crazy money.
You can get a much better quality tank and BIGGER for the same price.
Set up your own Fr Jack
Tank and stand E400

Refuge E100 inc piping and lighting
Trickle tower E60
Total price E860 much better quality tank.
Rant over :roll: :roll:

Good post, its more the size than the price, its to fit into a small corner its got to be max 24inch long and could be the same in height and dept, I just recently stripped a marine tank 1MX1Mx1M with a sump and trickle filter under neath 80CMx80CMx80CM and set it up for Africans and your saying what a waste, not really you could almost walk on water it hold so many Africans, all I want is a modest tank for a breeding pair of clowns is there any thing now a days on the market that is real small but with a sump under neath?Its with work and kids I have no time for DIY or looking after a impressive marine tank, I settle for not having the best tank in town, which reminds me some hell of good marine photo post have come through this week, this raises the level.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jun 2007 08:31 #7 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Red Sea Max Aquariums

Marine is the pinacle in my book, so its something to aim for when I have a lot more experience.

I dont know about pinnacle or experience but it is certainly more involved and requires a strict regime.I suppose it just comes down to how much you love fishkeeping, then how much of a challenge you are willing to take on.I certainly know of a few expert fishkeepers who were just never bothered enough to go into marines,this deosnt mean to say they were afraid of a challenge,from keeping neons to clownfish, it is what you are willing to make of it yourself.

I too intend on going into marines someday,when Im not a taxdodger but until then I say marines will only be what you are willing to put into it and not necessarily down to experience.As Sean said there have been some stunning marine tanks posted on this forum that would rival anything I have seen on any forum anywhere in the world.

2 of the guys who posted the fabulous marine tanks this week will be at the LFKS meeting on Wednesday (20th June) so try to attend if you want to pick their brains.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jun 2007 09:33 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Red Sea Max Aquariums
I agree with Chris. There is no such thing as eliteism is fish keeping.
Discus keepers and breeders have tried this crap for years.
I love African cichlids and even if i had a twenty foot reef tank I still will always keep Africans becase I love them. No fish have Character like cichlids. And I don`t just mean Africans.

More
20 Jun 2007 05:38 #9 by j14 (j14)
Replied by j14 (j14) on topic Re: Red Sea Max Aquariums
Re: The Red Sea Max

I bought one of these tanks about 4 months ago for €1,400 (including the Reef Starter pack) and I have to say as nice as thay are I wouldn't buy one again.

First off the Filtration Sponge is too big and causes the water level for the pumps to drop. This in turn causes the pumps to spurt out thousands of Micro Bubbles. The tank then resembles the inside of a washing machine. The solution to this is to cut the sponge in half thereby increasing the flow to the pumps but also allowing an increase in flow through the filter guard which in turn causes more bubbles! It kinda gets like a chicken and egg situation.
Increase the flow: Micro Bubbles.
Decrease the flow: Micro Bubbles.

Secondly the in built analogue timer.
It loses time over the course of the day, sometimes as much as 15 mins per day! I didn't have to worry about this though as mine STOPPED WORKING after only 2 weeks. I got a replacement from Interpet by post but had to fit it myself. Not too big of a deal but my tank was only two weeks old at the time. Something as integral as this should not break in only two weeks.

Thirdly the lighting fans.
Mine haven't gone yet *touch wood* but they are on the way out. It sounds like a jet plane taking off when the lights come on first thing in the morning. Interpet are already supplying new fans to many people in the UK. I haven't had to apply yet but it's only a matter of time before they go. I've heard that Interpet are actually supplying whole new hoods to people. They include a new timer & new fans for the lighting.

My other gripe is the stand itself is very cheap looking. When I got mine I was mising parts and had to wait for Interpet to supply them to me. When it's put together it still feels cheap / tacky unlike the Juwel stands which look good and feel solid.

One other thing that is now coming to light is the fact that the tanks have a tendency to crack. I know of one in a Dublin Fish Shop that cracked over night leaving the shop flooded with the contents of the tank on the floor.

That's my rant over. The one thing I will say is that Interpet have been very helpful when it comes to replacing parts. I've usually only had to wait 7 days max from first contact.

Overall stay away from the Red Sea Max. It's a good idea but it's not right just yet.

J.

Arsene knows...

• Paul Whitehead (Paul Whitehead)
  • Paul Whitehead (Paul Whitehead)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2007 04:47 #10 by Paul Whitehead (Paul Whitehead)
Replied by Paul Whitehead (Paul Whitehead) on topic red sea
good info, as I was seriously considering buying one of these Red Sea Tanks, but i think Ill postpose for a while and see what else is out there. Cracks in tank, cheap looking stand, crap timers and fans that wear out or sound like a plane are not really what i have in mind. Isn't fishkeepin supposed to be relaxin??
***************RETHINK**************

More
13 Jul 2007 13:11 #11 by buleetu (buleetu)
jack i will sell u a lovely diy nano tank for little or nothing

its 18\"x18\"x18\" it holds rougly 80 litres or so, it has a weir box and overflow box, u will have to put a durso stand pipe into it to get the water down to the sump, i dont have a sump handy by the way, its on a stand and it has a lid

were talking double figures here, ive gone back to my rio tank in a new house so im not using it anymore and its taking up space in the room,

as for the red sea max, theres no way i would fork out 1100 euro for a tank that size, there are a good few right ups about them on another forum if u want the link

dont get me wrong they look great and i guess it might be good for some beginners to have a system that has everything in one

but never in a million years would i pay for it

kiss my fishy AS S

More
13 Jul 2007 22:13 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Thanks for the info I will take any tank with a weir if its double figures provided it includes delivery to Palma de Majorca.

I am doing a re think possible Ehiem modern bow front tank (just the tank)with a tunze filter system (incl trickle) with possible a deep sand bottom out of lameyes insistance on using live sand although back in the early 80`s Tunze desighned the trickle filter partially below water level to remove No3, provied there was a carbon source which indirectly comes from food one addes although it can be twicked with suger, I have yet to reed the catalog from Tunze 2007 but will post more after I read up on it, although I dont think its changes much since the 1980s design.

More
14 Jul 2007 22:45 #13 by buleetu (buleetu)
im sorry but id never be able to get it over there for u:)

if i was u i would just get an ordinary inexpensive tank and drill it yourself

its not that hard to do and then u can design it exactly the way u want

kiss my fishy AS S

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds