Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

coldwater marine is there such a thing

• donal (donal)
  • donal (donal)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2007 23:35 #1 by donal (donal)
coldwater marine is there such a thing was created by donal (donal)
hi im new to marine tanks in generl id like to seta cold water marine tank for baby dogfish and the like i just so hapen i have a 100 liter tank that would be great fro the job so what else do i nead to get any i deas i was think just a pump mini proten skimer and some kind of cooler any idea where i can get these the tank must be 14c or so and my house ahas i thinka 16-18 degree average i also relise that i cant keap much in a tank this size for too resons 1.cold marine water is vbad at holding oxygen 2.its a small tank for a marine

ill be releasing the fish once it gets over crowded

is there a book id be able to get on the subjecet as the books i have have very little on coldwater marine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2007 09:11 #2 by kev (Kevin O Hara)
Hi Donal,

Ive kept them for a good few years now, the people who are doing a lot of this in Ireland are aquariums - Im going to point out at this stage that Im involved with one (hope thats ok). If you have one locally if you called in and asked to talk to their technical guy then theyd probably give you a look around to see how its done on a big scale.

What size of baby dogfish are you looking to get, can you source them? Im not sure of the dimensions of a 100 litre tank, its something like 4*1*1? if so it should be ok for a while, the newly hatched juveniles could be kept in a 3*1*1 but not for that long.

Im not sure of your background so im just going to throw out some other suggestions. Small wrasse, gobies especially ones like 2 spot gobies (which are midwater spp), blennies, dragonets, small mullet etc.... which are smaller than even a juvenile dogfish might be an option?

As regards a cooler it depends on what you go for, Id consider 17C your max temperature range and preferably 16C. If you get a cooler Id say 15-16C would be fine to have it at. Again it depends on what you keep, if you go for intertidal or very shallow water species then you might be fine without a chiller provided the room doesnt get too warm during the summer, or from the central heating etc.

• donal (donal)
  • donal (donal)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Oct 2007 23:36 #3 by donal (donal)
Replied by donal (donal) on topic Re:coldwater marine is there such a thing
i would prefer to start without a ciller i could make one but i cant find a reveres termostat ie somthing to turn the chiller of when it gets too cold and on again when it heats up will be moving too a new hose this year and going to build myself a rack of tanks ill probly get one then would you happen to work in get the baby dogfish is esay enough ether i could snorkal around were i belleve the bread or just wait till catch or hit the local beach erly the morning after a storm btw if you know where i can get a revers thermosta id apreciate it

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds