Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Moving to the Marine Side - Help

More
17 Dec 2007 17:46 #1 by zebadee (zebadee)
Hi, after keeping cichlids for more than 8 years I have decided to use a move to the UK and a new house situation to start a marine tank. I admit up front I know little about it but I have a great offer on the contents below.

To those who are in the know does the list below have everything needed for a marine tank? The tank is about 400L however there is no sump, is that a concern? I was thinking about going for a Fowlr set up, any ideas? Any and all help appreciated.

If it doesn't work out I guess I can go back to freshwater.

Not included :- FISH - LIVEROCK- SAND.

Here are a few details of the items included in the sale,

2 x Rena Filstar XP3 External Filters

V2 400 External Protein Skimmer.

Aqua Medic Nitratredutor 400

Vecton UV15 Ultraviolet Water Steriliser

2 x Rena Cal 200w Heaters

Aluminium Lighting System (3 x aqua blue ,1 x white tubes)

1 x Maxi-Jet 400 Power head

2 x Thermometers

3/4 of 25litre bucket of Reef Crystal Salt Mix

Magnetic Glass Cleaner

Hand Held Salinity (Salt) Refractometer (for measuring salinity & gravity of the water)

Assorted Cleaning Brushes

Selection of Marine Books

2 x 25lt Water Containers

Suction Stone/Gravel Cleaner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2007 17:52 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I'd personnaly go for either tetra or Eheim externals, rena aren't great in my experience with them. Scrap the maxijet powerheads aswell, get yourself the Hydor Koralias, a cheap but effective version of some of the Tunze pumps.

Whats the lighting system? T5 T8??

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
17 Dec 2007 18:28 #3 by zebadee (zebadee)
Neither at the moment but I'd be looking at t5's probably but i need to make sure that the hood can handle them first. The hood/light has to be sealed or else it's not going to work at all and I'm going to have to cancel the purchase.

Like I said I'm in over my head I think.

More
18 Dec 2007 00:47 #4 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
T5's will give you a chance to grow most softies. All the rest of the gear seems adequate altough i'd probably leave the nitrate tower out and run it independently in the future.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
12 Jan 2008 02:58 #5 by quirkie (quirkie)
Don't know if you maybe interested in this....make me an offer!

I am moving house for 18months and want to sell my tank. asking price 5000euro(ONO).

It is completely ready to go and is an instant solution if you want a complete set-up including the water. Everything is included from water to fish to coral, pumps, skimmer, sump, uv sterilizer powerheads, pumps metal halaid lighting, T5 lights, fans, timers, test kits etc etc....

This is a very mature system with 10 large fish and very big coral....This breaks my heart and I would rather it went to a really good home than a restaurant or worse!.... It measures 6'10\" long 1'10\" deep 4'9\" high(560 litres). I have more photos and the contents will fit into 3 wheely bins for easy transportation. The tank will go as is and fit into a van or trailer...any questions please ask......thanks for looking. Please feel free to ask questions. thanks for looking.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds