Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Too many skimmer bubbles in the tank

More
24 Feb 2008 11:19 #1 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hi all,

I have a Deltec skimmer running 2 weeks now and producing dark skimate from day one - tank must have been manky.

Anyhow I have got over the noise problem by only running it at night or daytime if we are not sitting in the same room.

My main problem is the amount of very fine bubbles that go back into the tank. Not a problem regarding the viewing of the tank but my concern is that there may be too much oxygen in the water as a result of the fine bubbles. My Regal Tang goes down next to a tubeworn at the bottom as if to get away from the more aeriated water above. He/she stays in the same place until the skimmer is switched off.

Also will the skimmer always produce dark skimate or should it go clear with time ?

Many thanks
Processor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2008 13:23 #2 by newrossman (newrossman)
You really cant get enough O2 in the tank not with 1 skimmer, I would guess the tang is just abit worried about noise and bubbles. Will get over it, does it rise for food?

Have you tried a sponge at outflow to grab bubbles, remember to replace/clean it every few days.

It can take up to 3/4 weeks for a skimmer to settle in. But the skum will start to clear soon. And all of a sudden if I remember right.

It the skum wet or dry?. If it's like black coffee it's wet. If like tar it's dry. All it means is that it takes less water out if dry but takes longer to do it. Most people with a new skimmer keep it wet until the shum starts to look more like tea. Then you can adjust the level to make the bubbles traval higher before dumping the skum.

Reef 55 Gallons

More
22 Oct 2008 09:48 #3 by deepseanige (Nigel Brookes)
Most new skimmers will produce fine bubbles initially due to the plastics. This should subside over time. Please note though, just because there's bubbles in the tank doesn't mean your water is being oxegenated, you need surface agitation for this and micro bubbles won't cause much of this when they hit the surface.

Also bubbles aren't good for fish or corals, they can agitate them.

The skimmer isn't an MCE600 by any chance. I got one of these second hand and it's still producing micro bubbles, even with the degausing plate attached :ohmy:. I was able to use 40mm PVC piping and a couple of 45 degree joins to stop the bubbles. Only problem is my tank now looks like a building site :laugh:. I'll probably get rid.

More
22 Oct 2008 14:56 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
try closing the air inlet for a while (water coming out full flow) and then open valve to desired place....no idea why but this seems to work for me.

lampeye

More
22 Oct 2008 15:25 #5 by deepseanige (Nigel Brookes)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just looked at the date on the original post....8 months ago!!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds