Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

need some help

More
18 Mar 2008 12:16 #1 by bryanw (bryan woods)
ok i have a juwel rekord 96 it measures 81x31x46 cm (marine)
i am looking to replace the lighting so i can start keeping corals and not sure what option would be better fluorescent or metal halide
advice would be greatly appreciated,
bryan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2008 14:03 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:need some help
Hi,

Post moved to the Marine Equipment section - Replies won't have to be approved :-)

Regards,
Valerie

More
18 Mar 2008 14:07 #3 by bryanw (bryan woods)
thanks for the help valerie:)

More
18 Mar 2008 19:38 #4 by bryanw (bryan woods)
any ideas anyone?

More
18 Mar 2008 21:57 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
HI Bryanw

take a look at this might help get you started.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...iew/id,577/catid,12/

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
18 Mar 2008 22:02 #6 by bryanw (bryan woods)
thanks for the help mickey,
think im gonna go metal halide!:)

More
18 Mar 2008 22:06 #7 by newrossman (newrossman)
Hi,

Depends on coral, MH would be best but then you need to loose hood, If I were you Id get a t5 marine light and starter and add it to your hood, the are mostly waterproof and I think you would get enough to maybe allow LPS or at least softy.

Dont even thnk about nems or sps, to hard to keep water perfect and not for a tank not at least a year old. And again lots of light.

IF you have they money plenty of stuff to get what you want but alot of work.

Good luck.

PS: You could sort out issue by having tank in sunlight for a few hours, but then if the water quality goes bad the tank will go green very quick, but it does work, can keep most coral with as little as and hour of direct sunlight.

Reef 55 Gallons

More
18 Mar 2008 22:11 #8 by bryanw (bryan woods)
em i only have space for one t5 bulb is that enough?

More
18 Mar 2008 22:18 #9 by newrossman (newrossman)
I have a interpet t5 55watt mixed light over nano, never had a problem but lights need changing every 9 months.
55 would be ok to start + ur light, marines tanks are best slow starting just enough light for you to start with softy. Once you get to know what ur doing you can upgrade and trust me lights are very easy to upgrade and also very costly.

Dont waste your bucks until you find your feet/fins

Reef 55 Gallons

More
18 Mar 2008 22:22 #10 by bryanw (bryan woods)
where do i put the other light to i need to upgade something?

More
18 Mar 2008 22:25 #11 by newrossman (newrossman)
Zip tie it to light bar if you have one or clips come with the light and just screw it in.

Reef 55 Gallons

More
18 Mar 2008 22:28 #12 by bryanw (bryan woods)
sorry im preaty slow!
so the lights come with the thing you plug the light tube in and i just tie it to the existing light tube ?

More
19 Mar 2008 14:36 #13 by newrossman (newrossman)
Some tanks come with a removable light fitting, the power is in the bar and lights on either side, zip the light to bar.

Or most tank have enough room in hood to screw in to eye hooks so you can hang the light from, the power is outside the tank.

Reef 55 Gallons

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds