Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

100L Marine tank

More
26 Mar 2008 22:38 - 26 Mar 2008 22:41 #1 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hi all, i've been contemplating setting up my 180L as a marine tank but a thought struck me...my 98L tank would do just fine along with a sump under the tank which my dad plans to build with acrylic...so the volume of the sump has yet to be determined...under this tank there is quite a large space so we should be able to have a 40 or 50L sump.

We will not be drilling the glass 98L tank so we'll have to make a weir out of the acrylic to allow water flow to the sump...probably will be tough to make but not impossible.

Should I be considering using 8 to 10kg of live rock?

Will a skimmer be required and if so, which companies should I be considering?

What strength powerheads will be needed...i'm sure i need 2?

What amount of substrate will I need?

How much does RO water cost and where can I buy containers big enough to fill this 100L+tank?

What pH is this RO water...neutral i suppose...7 or thereabouts??

These are very basic questions simply because I have yet to really put some work into researching this. We were going to set our 180L up for marine but building a sump was almost impossible for this tank due to a badly set up tank stand (thanks juwel!).
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 22:41 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2008 23:10 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
you will be very limited to what fish u can keep in a tank that small, even with the sump. bigger is always better if you can.
If you plan on using LR as your bio filter then yes 10-15kg should be fine.
you would get away without a skimmer if its a fish only system (maybe 1 or 2 easy corals) and you dont over stock/over feed.
2 x 1200 lpr pheads would do ya. i think they say 10-20 times the tanks volume.
substrate is up to you. bare bottom, 1-2inch, or more for a \"deep sand bed\" which is said to keep nitrates down (u could have a section of your sump with a dsb if you wanted one.
dont know about cost of ro water but it aint a must....of course its better but you'd get away without it.
ph is not important as the salt mix automatically brings the ph of tap or ro water to 8.2.

again, sumps are great but youd be fine without one. i have a 240 with no sump. more swimming space if you convert the 180!

get a couple of books to help you make better decisions. the conscientious marine aquarist is a great one , beginner to breeder is also highly reccommended but i havent read it.

lampeye

More
27 Mar 2008 23:07 - 27 Mar 2008 23:08 #3 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Thanks for the reply lampeye, from what you've said and from what I've told dad about it over the past day....seems we will go with the 180 as the main display and the 100L as a Quarantine tank.

I'll get a book, read read read...and if I have any more questions...i'll be back! :)
Last edit: 27 Mar 2008 23:08 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
09 Apr 2008 08:17 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
I can help you out with RO water if you need it Scorph.
Just give me a shout.

Niall.

More
08 May 2008 08:00 #5 by Cynos (Cynos)
Replied by Cynos (Cynos) on topic Re:100L Marine tank
Why are you not getting the tank drilled?

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds