Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

FOWLR system update.

• conor (conor)
  • conor (conor)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2006 08:00 #1 by conor (conor)
FOWLR system update. was created by conor (conor)
Hi all,

Just an update on the setup. I have now removed the temporary filter and replaced it with a second powerhead. The new powerhead has a bag of phoszorb in it (very expensive stuff, but I do not wish to use carbon as it is only good for three days max. And I want minimal hands in the tank once the fish are added).

I've noticed that some plant? is growing off one of the pieces of live rock, so I re-arranged the LR to bring it closer to the lights. Remember I am cheap and only use T8's with reflectors.

I shall likely add another kilo or two of LR since the re-arrangement has created space.

Q: Does anyone know if LR needs light? I am getting some nice growth (red algae I think) after only a week, so its obviously quality rock. At any rate, I like the look of it.

Since I still do not have a protein skimmer, I am changing 25 litres of water a week. To be honest, this is total overkill, and the water quality is still very good. The only reason I am doing so, is that the system is still new, and the nitrite levels are 1PPM, acceptable and has dropped from 1.5 yesterday. I reckon nemo can be added next week.

regards
Conor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2006 17:10 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
As far as i know you need the lights on for max. growth of the algie e.c.t.
On small systems 10% water change weekly is enough, even without a skimmer.
Keep an eye on your specific gravity as any evaperated water will rase this as only the water leaves the tank and not the salt.
Check this about twice a week untill you know how much water is evaperateing.
Best of luck with your new venture.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2006 17:45 #3 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: FOWLR system update.
Cheers, when I change the water I first check out the specific gravity of the tank water first, then I anally make sure the water to be changed is absolutely identical - yes, totally anal.

If only my discus got the same treatment, I used to think they were hard to keep, then I discovered the only thing that really causes them trouble (read death) is temperature. Mind you, I only use RO water, nothing less will do.

And when you see how much dirt is REALLY in your tap water when you change the pre-filter after 6 months, you will never use tap again.

(I'll take a pic the next time)

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2006 15:33 #4 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: FOWLR system update.
Live rock needs minimal light to stay live. Your coraline algae will need good light to grow extremely fast. a good 10,000k bulb will be sufficient.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2006 15:39 #5 by conor (conor)
Cheers, I have learned a lot since that post, and added my first soft polp yesterday. Facinating creatures and the missus has given the budget go ahead to get more.

Hopefully by the end of the week the tank will look more reef like.
I will be replacing the lights with proper halides at the same time.

Off to the local tomorrow :)

More
25 Apr 2006 16:04 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hay conor wich polops did you get for your tank.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2006 10:00 #7 by conor (conor)
I'll let ya know soon.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds