Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

protein skimmer

More
01 Sep 2008 20:07 #1 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
hi lads i have question about a air powered protein skimmer
they are good for a 200l tank?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2008 21:59 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
when i was first setting up my tank and was trying not to spend money i was recommended to get a berlin skimmer (think that was the name). anyway it ran on an airstone (wooden airstone) and could be hidden in a juwel filter box. never bothered so i cant say if they are good or not. i think platy252 has a reef tank without any skimmer so you might get away without one.

lampeye

More
02 Sep 2008 15:14 #3 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
i buy a red sea external skimmer in usa for 30$ - what do you think about prizm?

More
02 Sep 2008 23:19 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would keep the $30 in your pocket and leave the prizm in the states.
If you feel you need or want one i would go for a Deltec. They get good reviews.

More
02 Sep 2008 23:24 #5 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
and they are very expensive also, i have air pump powered skimmer as a backup,
prizm cost here 200 e, then if they are no good why they are so expensive ?

More
03 Sep 2008 00:05 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I don't know why they are so expensive but i do know of 2 people that bought one and ended up replacing them within six months.
Why not use the air driven uplift skimmer you have? Run it for a month and see how much it is removing at the end of the month. If it is pulling very little from the water i would do without a skimmer. If it is pulling plenty from the water then i would invest in a decent skimmer.
I am running a tank with no skimmer for a past 3 years with no problem. I only use a surface skimmer to remove water from the surface to the filter.

More
03 Sep 2008 00:21 #7 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
this skimmer give me a half cuf of yellow fluid in 3 days of run, but i cant drill the tank and i temporary cant make a sump, this skimmer dont look nice in a tank,
i just want keep 2 more fish in (now i have one blenny and six line wrase)
and just soft corals and small crabs and ad 5kg live rock more.
i know from the other sources if the prizm deluxe is too week for a 400l tank.
mayby for juvel 180 will be ok, the skimmer with shipment will cost me 25 e if will be no good i sell it away or excange a pump.
how big fish tank do they had?

More
03 Sep 2008 00:35 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I don't think it was the size of the tank that was the problem. They just didn't think it was worth buying as it didn't do a good job skimming.
When a tank is first set up with new live rock you can still get a little die off. The skimmer will help remove some of this. In a couple of weeks you may find there is less in the collection cup.
If it is only €25 it is worth trying. Although if they sell for €200 why is it only €25 second hand?

More
03 Sep 2008 00:38 - 03 Sep 2008 00:41 #9 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
my girl friend sister is in usa now, brand new cost 76$ only, and 140$ for a big one for 1200l tank, then 30$ is a half price of the new one,
you can find loads of cheap skimmers their,
i use to design equpiment like that durning my study, if prizm will be crab i will buy a materials and i make my own skimmer
Last edit: 03 Sep 2008 00:41 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski).

More
03 Sep 2008 01:07 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Sounds cheap enough. Go for it.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2008 09:37 #11 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:protein skimmer
Adrian,

Equipment in the USA operates at 110V whereas we do at 240V... To use your skimmer, you will need a converter, adding to the final cost of the equipment and also adding to your electric consumption ...
I think that if you have a 300W equipment and a 500W converter, your consumption is based on the latter, not on the earlier.

Valerie

More
03 Sep 2008 15:36 #12 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
adaptor cost nothing (10$) , i know about voltage:)

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2008 21:09 #13 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:protein skimmer
Cool ! :-)

Valerie

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds