Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

RO & DI Where to get them?

More
24 Sep 2008 14:08 - 24 Sep 2008 14:09 #1 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Hi!

i Live in Limerick and tried to find where to buy RO & Di units.

I called one company who instal lit in houses.... and... price for 5 stage RO unit with 10L tank + installation is 890 EURO!!!

Is it normal Irish price? :huh: :angry:

Where to get RO & DI units and what is normal price for them? I need 50 gpd one with tank. I saw some in UK websites & on ebay is less than 100 pounds.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2008 14:09 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2008 16:28 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
We have R/O units in Aquatic Village, 5 stage with storage tank etc. for €495- can pos. post it down to you?? If your interested PM me!!!!

More
25 Sep 2008 00:21 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi i got a four stage ro with pump as water pressure wasnt great on ebay for €90 for both set them up myself and work well,
heres one currently on offer a 5 stage
cgi.ebay.ie/DOMESTIC-WATER-PURIFICATION-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
25 Sep 2008 10:54 - 25 Sep 2008 10:56 #4 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Hi, sheag!

That's what I was talking... Why is it so expensive here?
Last edit: 25 Sep 2008 10:56 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

More
30 Sep 2008 22:46 #5 by KELLYD (DES KELLY)
I know it is mad money, ebay rules!!

Where ever you buy a RO system may I suggest you check out the prices also for the replacement filters. One other thing if you are buying from a main supplier good idea is to buy some 6 to 8mm tube. So you can top up your water level direct without much fuss. You still need to do water changes of course but it could get you out of trouble when your in a fix.

And sheag is correct these 4, 5 and 6 stage systems use pumps that give very low bar pressure and poor shelf life don't get me started on that..

But with all these water quality issues around these days the prices are going up...sad I know.

More
01 Oct 2008 18:23 #6 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Ok! it's ok with RO on ebay, but really hard to find DI there... do you know any places who sell DI cartridges, and risin?

More
01 Oct 2008 19:21 - 01 Oct 2008 19:38 #7 by sagwadloup (serge aphanacieff)
In ireland, water is v good for all soft And salt water fish.

What kind of fish do u want to keep, what is the volume of ur tank, species kept?
Tap water is v good here (for the fish), u should enjoy it and working as a base. I mean adjust the water parameters with natural factors like coral sand, will help to keep the pH >8,2.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2008 19:38 by sagwadloup (serge aphanacieff).

More
02 Oct 2008 22:28 - 02 Oct 2008 22:29 #8 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
I keep marines in 90L. tank. I use ocean water for changes and use tap water to top-up and notice a lot of green algae and Chlorophyta fast growing in aqua. I have to clean my front glass every 2-3 days... I keep few fishes and soft corals now, but want to move slowly to SPS & LPS reef corals. I need TOP quality water for them. Also my water has too much lime scale in it (KH is very high). I live in Limerick and water is hard here...

pH is not problem - algae is main :dry:
Last edit: 02 Oct 2008 22:29 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

More
03 Oct 2008 06:44 #9 by stevieg (ALAN FLYNN)
Only use ro in your tank mate you just cant trust tap water
get that ro up and running asap

More
01 Nov 2008 01:53 #10 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
I've got one from ebay for 65 with delivery which is very good, only one thing - iy's without pump, but I hope my pressure is quite enogh for it. It's 4 stage RO unit with DI cartrige.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds