Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Custom build

More
27 Oct 2008 22:28 #1 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi Guys,
I am very new to this forum and must admit that I did not know about it until told very recently.I have been keeping marines for about two years now and of course I want to upgrade.
Now after much discussion with the better half, Begging,crying and loads of groveling actualy, I have got the go ahead and
I am at present trying to do a deal on a custom built reef system from the U.K. "BUT" I would much rather buy Irish if possible.
Does anyone know of any company or individual that makes custom glass tanks and cabinets at competitive prices in Ireland?
I have got some prices but either these people are crazy or they think everyone else is.I realise that my project is going to be expensive and I am prepared to pay for what I get but some of the people I have spoken to should really have been wearing balaclavas and waving guns around.
So if anybody could point me in the right direction I would be greatful.

Cheers guys,
Stevoxxx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2008 22:51 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi stevoxxx,
contact Gerry Evens.
Water World

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 Oct 2008 22:59 - 27 Oct 2008 23:01 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hello Stevo and welcome to the forum.
As you have realized a custom built tank here is very expensive. The price of glass has gone through the roof in the past couple of years.
Just out of curiosity what are the dimensions of the tank?

Have you contacted these;
Water World Aquariums
28 South Frederick Street,
Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 677 8180
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Edit; Mickey you got there before me while i looked for the water world details.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2008 23:01 by platty252 (Darren Dalton).

More
28 Oct 2008 11:54 - 28 Oct 2008 11:57 #4 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi Guys,
and thanks for the info.
I would really like to go for a 10ft x 28" x24" but it will probably end up with an 8ft long tank as I want to go for the arcadia halides and I think 6ft is the longest that they do and I dont want to have to run 2 4ft units,any other suggestions around this would be great .Also looking for a sump 5ft x 18" x 18".and looking to box in the whole unit along a wall 12ft 6" with cabinets either end if you get what I mean

Stevoxxx
Last edit: 28 Oct 2008 11:57 by stevoxxx (stephen markey).

More
28 Oct 2008 22:52 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Clearseal do a 8'x2'x2' but wont guarantee it once it has been drilled for a sump.
A tank 10ft x 28" x24" would need glass at least 15mm thick but more like 18mm. Not cheap.
The sump you could probably make yourself.
The unit could be done by a competent carpenter or cabinet maker.

Apart from that you are stuck with the company's that do custom jobs like Water world.

More
28 Oct 2008 23:25 #6 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi Guys

Why 18mm glass I thought that it was the height of the tank that really caused the pressure against the glass not the length

More
28 Oct 2008 23:45 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
My mistake i taught it was 28" high. People seem to go for really high marine tanks that's why i taught it was 28" high.
28" high combined with 10' long would IMO need a minimum of 15mm glass. Personal i would use 18mm.

For 10' long x 28" front to back and 24" high i would use 15mm but a manufacturer might use 12mm with plenty of braces.

More
29 Oct 2008 00:30 #8 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
you were correct the first time it is 28" high but probably only going to be 8ft long because of the lights as I have said but it sounds like I had better check this out some more.I can just see the $$$$ flashing before my eyes

More
29 Oct 2008 10:37 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Here is a link to a chart for glass thickness.
saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm
It claims 20mm is needed for 8' long x 2' high.
I think clearseal use 12mm with big braces. Maybe someone on here can confirm this.

I dont think a 6' pendant over an 8' tank would be to bad. Just have the less light loving corals at either end. Or you could put 2' T-5s either end of the tank. Going front to back.

Contact Gerry Evens of waterworld for a price on the 10'x28"x24" tank.

More
29 Oct 2008 10:48 #10 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi,

Again thanks for the info.I have already contacted him and waiting on a reply.

Stevoxxx

More
29 Oct 2008 18:43 #11 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Replied by Seany (Sean Phelan) on topic Re:Custom build
PM Sent

Seany

More
18 Jan 2009 20:20 #12 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi Guys,
After as much research,bargin hunting and currency market watching as I could do,I have taken the plunge and It,s decided.
On order and awaiting delivery from AC aquatics in the UK custom built tank 108" x 24" X 28" along with cabinete and sump 72"x18"x18".
Now if anyone is interested in what is very much a beginers attempt at a large enough project. I will attempt a thread on this process.
Let me know what you think.

Stevo :unsure:

More
18 Jan 2009 20:23 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Pictures and regular updates! Im looking forward to it already!!
Best of luck with it.
Gavin

More
18 Jan 2009 20:40 #14 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:Custom build
That sounds great.From the specs on your tank it will hold over 1,000 litres or have i got this wrong.More info please.:) :)

More
18 Jan 2009 21:07 #15 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi guys,

Allowing for 15" of water in the sump it totals to just over 1500lt.Just a thought I can give a list of all the equiptment purchased as well as the costs if this is permitted

More
18 Jan 2009 21:16 #16 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Stevoxx please give your thread idea a go, its a great way for others to learn the build process and cost involved in what i think is the mecca of fish keep ie. marine. Would be very interested to follow you experiences and the highs :laugh: :laugh: and lows :unsure: :unsure: of the process

Best of luck either way

GB

More
18 Jan 2009 21:55 #17 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
1,500 litres! What are you planning on keeping in there, a whale!!!!

More
18 Jan 2009 23:25 #18 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:Custom build
of course you list the costs...thats a huge tank. looking forward to loads of pics!

lampeye

More
19 Jan 2009 20:29 #19 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
It’s going to be some tank I look forward to reading about it ;)

LB

More
19 Jan 2009 23:40 #20 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Replied by Seany (Sean Phelan) on topic Re:Custom build
Stevo,

Looking forward to this one !

Seany

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2009 14:45 #21 by Loggser (Loggser)
Replied by Loggser (Loggser) on topic Re:Custom build
Fishowner wrote:

1,500 litres! What are you planning on keeping in there, a whale!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Looking forward to this thread too ;)

More
31 May 2009 14:37 #22 by buleetu (buleetu)
Replied by buleetu (buleetu) on topic Re:Custom build
hi there did u start a thread about ur tank

where is the link

kiss my fishy AS S

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds