Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

FOWLR

More
29 Jan 2009 20:41 #1 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
FOWLR was created by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Hi all
I started a Juwel 240 tropical setup a few months ago and got the fishkeeping bug big time:laugh: :laugh:

I set-up with a few guppies Platies and gourami's and really enjoyed the experience. I have spent the last 2 months thinking about a new set-up for the tank. I researched substrates, plants and of course fish and finally decided on a mixed barb set-up with bogwood, black substrate, additional external filter etc.

I was all set to start investing when by chance the other day i was on the doss in work and went into an aquarium shop that unknown to me only specailised in marine tanks.My long term plan was eventually go into marine but i didn,t really know if this was realistic due to what i taught was the expensive setup and high cost of maintenance etc.

I got talking to one of the lads in the shop and to my suprise some of my preconception were blown out of the water ( except the set-ups cost, man the live rock is expenise:blush: :blush: :blush: ). So after all this waffle let me get to what this post is all about.

Going by the info i got in the shop it seems a FOWLR would be my way to get into marine fishkeeping so i am looking for advice on what i need for setting up and running the tank. I am thinking of

20 kg of live rock
Live sand
Tetratec ex1200 filter
Bucket of marine salt for water setup and water changes
Heater

Was told that once the tank is setup there is very little maintenance, the usually water changes and monitering of water conditions, it seems as the live rock and sand do a lot of the filteration.

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track, is the external filter alright, do i need any other essiential equipment for running of tank, am i taking a to simplistic view of this.

All and any advice, comments welcomed

Cheers

GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2009 20:56 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
GB, what is a FOWLR?

LB

More
29 Jan 2009 20:59 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Used to play up front for Liverpool i think!!haha!

Nah...its Fish Only With Live Rock.

More
29 Jan 2009 21:02 #4 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Replied by gerryberry (Jeff Daly) on topic Re:FOWLR
Sorry lads should of put it in the thread. Sorry:blush: :blush: :blush:

GB:)

More
30 Jan 2009 00:59 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic Re:FOWLR
according to what i've been told and i am not into marines this system will work for you as long as you monitor things properly, the live rock should use up the nitrates etc. but i presume you would spend some time getting the balance been fish stock and live rock correct. hopefully one or two of our resident marine experts will help you out here

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
30 Jan 2009 07:36 #6 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Replied by Seany (Sean Phelan) on topic Re:FOWLR
GB,

Can I suggest that before you spend your hard earned cash, that you get a good book or two on Marine aquaria. It will stimulate your interest, educate you on the pitfalls and inform you of the min requirements and help save you alot of trouble/cash in the future.

Two good introduction reads would be,

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium - Paletta

I found them to be a good gentle easy read when I started this Marine/Reef Lark 18 months ago.

Kind regards

Seany

More
30 Jan 2009 17:38 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Replied by gerryberry (Jeff Daly) on topic Re:FOWLR
Cheers Sheag and Seany,
I know i have alot of work to do on finding out more info, must get one of the books Seany and have a read. I really just want to find out if it is a realistic possiblity to have a marine setup or am i barking up a tree:laugh: :laugh:

Seany
Do you use treated tap water or RO water in your tank, what type of substrate do you have, any pics of tanks

Regards

GB

More
30 Jan 2009 18:51 #8 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
Replied by Seany (Sean Phelan) on topic Re:FOWLR
GB,

RO only. The water in Tullamore is "Liquid Rock", great for African Cichlids, not for marines.
Argonite Sand as the media and for tank pics visit the build thread here,

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,20/id,23744/

Best of luck with the project

Seany

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2009 00:38 #9 by Loggser (Loggser)
Replied by Loggser (Loggser) on topic Re:FOWLR
FOWLR never heard that term before :P

I presume its grand to start of like this and then
at a further stage you can add plants/corals & inverts yes?

Does he still need a Protein Skimmer for this setup
on a 240l tank?

Also if he just buys the 1 or 2 fish to start of with
cant he just buy say 10kgs of Live rock & 10 kgs of ocean
rock and wait for the ocean rock to become live too :huh:

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2009 03:01 #10 by Loggser (Loggser)
Whats up???

Does nobody know or just couldnt be arsed answering apart from Sheag & Seany?:dry:

More
10 Feb 2009 03:25 - 10 Feb 2009 03:36 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Its been a quiet day Loggser :(

LB
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 03:36 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2009 03:52 #12 by Loggser (Loggser)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Its been a quiet day Loggser (How is Ron getting on over on the other channel:laugh: )

LB

LMAO thats funny as hell :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nah there was 12 logged on earlier at one stage :huh:
interested meself as I cant make up my mind whether or
not to knock down a wall and do a big 5ft room divider marine
setup with eventually a Moray eel etc in it, something
different, some unusual species, love an Octopus even, nothing against Clown fish etc but their done to death at this stage.
Since these 2 started breeding tho I'm inclined to hold onto
them, theres a marine background on the tank that came with it
and I never wanted to just replace it with a tropical poster,
I looked at the Juwel backgrounds and they run approx €150 for
my size, thats alot for fish I mightn't even keep so I've been holding off changing it for now. Its annoying me tho.
If I do stay with the Ossies then I'd like a custom background
from styrofoam but with a big cave in it for them and another
lower one for the Plec lad. Some proper job like ;)

Gotta make up my mind then go for it I suppose :woohoo:

More
10 Feb 2009 16:53 - 10 Feb 2009 16:54 #13 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:FOWLR
Loggser wrote:

I presume its grand to start of like this and then
at a further stage you can add plants/corals & inverts yes

Yes you can, different corals need different amounts of light so an upgrade may be necessary.

Loggser wrote:

Does he still need a Protein Skimmer for this setup
on a 240l tank?

it really depends. the books all state that when you're using live rock as the filter skimming is a must. having said that i have a skimmer on a 240 that doesnt take that much gunk out, but i only have 5 small fish and 2 tiny ones and only a couple of corals, so the bioload is low. i suppose it depends on stocking levels and the amount you feed.

Loggser wrote:

Also if he just buys the 1 or 2 fish to start of with
cant he just buy say 10kgs of Live rock & 10 kgs of ocean
rock and wait for the ocean rock to become live too :huh:

The general consensus on all saltie forums is no. ocean rock is much much more dense than live rock, and apparently can leach phosphates into the water. i dont think it ever becomes fully live rock. In the early days this was considered ok. There is something called reef bones which a lot of people use instead. dont know much about it except its much more porous than ocean rock. You are better off adding all your live rock at the beginning as if its not fully cured it could cause an amonia spike and kill your livestock.

lampeye
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 16:54 by lampeye (lampeye).

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2009 04:01 #14 by Loggser (Loggser)
Cheers for the answer lampeye ;)

More
11 Feb 2009 10:59 #15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Replied by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie) on topic Re:FOWLR
ok i'm defo not a marine expert:unsure: or anyway close to it ;) but heres what i found:woohoo:

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2249&aid=3199
www.fishlore.com/saltwater_aquarium_types.htm

hope this helps:dry:
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds