Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Metal Halides and Juwel systems

More
05 Apr 2009 09:33 #1 by q547 (Joseph King)
Folks,
Is it possible to get some sort of a bracket for juwel tanks (rio 180) to mount a metal halide unit? I'm in a rented apartment and don't think i'd get away with drilling holes in the ceiling for it. Is there maybe some kind of an "A" frame for it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2009 19:17 #2 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi,
you can get brackets that screw to the wall and you suspend your halides from these.

More
05 Apr 2009 19:37 #3 by q547 (Joseph King)
fixing to walls or ceilings or anything thats isn't owned by me is a no no. :(

More
05 Apr 2009 19:49 #4 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Wonder if you could get something made up ??? Thinking something with a large flat heavy base that would slide under the tank to counter balance the weight of the lights but positioned at the back of the tank with a pole mounted on base.At top of pole some sort of horizontal bar that the lights could be mounted on.

I suppose if you think of a basketball net you will get some sort of concept of my waffle idea!!!

Might be able to get something fabricated at a metal workshop or maybe a member has a workshop that they might be able to help you.

Might work out to expensive but hope you get sorted.

GB

More
05 Apr 2009 20:13 #5 by stevoxxx (stephen markey)
Hi,
I have a set of plastic brackets that came with a set of T5s that you are welcome to but I dont know about the weight and the halides get fairly hot.

More
05 Apr 2009 20:15 #6 by q547 (Joseph King)
Hmmm, not a bad idea Gerry, I was considering doing something along the lines of: getting a bit of 20 mm beech mdf and fixing it to the ends of the tank, a "strap" along the back of the tank and then some sort of "A" frame onto that in something like galvanised tubular steel. The last part is where I'll run into problems as I don't have access to welding gear. I'll manage the wood work as I used to make cabinets in a former life.

Oh yeah the other thing is what does a metal halide weigh?

More
06 Apr 2009 19:35 #7 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
The only metal halides i know off are the ones i mount in work, (electrician). They are quite heavy but once again they would be bigger than the ones mounted for a tank. Maybe a call to Aquatic village or Seahorse Aquariums etc. might give you a working weight to start things off.

All the best

GB

More
06 Apr 2009 23:30 #8 by Zoom (Zoom)
Fixing them to the ceiling joist is not a problem I've moved mine around loads of times just before you move take the screws out only 2 and put a bit of decorators filler in where the tiny screw hole is and no one would ever know. I used 2 70mm screws that are 3mm thick so your talking about 2 3mm holes in the ceiling even with out the filler you wouldn't see them. Only thing is you have to be sure to catch the joist. I know thats not the answer your looking for but I just feel you would get away with it.

More
07 Apr 2009 07:00 #9 by q547 (Joseph King)
Zoom wrote:

Fixing them to the ceiling joist is not a problem I've moved mine around loads of times just before you move take the screws out only 2 and put a bit of decorators filler in where the tiny screw hole is and no one would ever know. I used 2 70mm screws that are 3mm thick so your talking about 2 3mm holes in the ceiling even with out the filler you wouldn't see them. Only thing is you have to be sure to catch the joist. I know thats not the answer your looking for but I just feel you would get away with it.

If it was a standard ceiling i'd chance it alright but it's a concrete ceiling and i don't fancy tyring to drill it.

More
07 Apr 2009 08:48 #10 by Zoom (Zoom)
Ah I know what you mean the only other alternative I would try which would be the same principle on the wall(fillers etc after you remove them) Would be 2 large L brackets for the wall and hang the halides from it. I picked up 2 1 foot long L brackets for shelves in B&Q I never got around to using yet, but it was for the same thing , just thinking now that if you fixed them well onto a sheet of ply wood and placed it behind the tank for stability and maybe just put 2 fixings through the ply wood to the wall. you could hang them off kinda a false wall??? If you know what I mean??

More
25 Apr 2009 11:28 #11 by MagiC (Maciek Czarnota)
You sould do something like that.useing copper pipe and screwin it in to the back of your tank cabinet.maybe that picture will help you(sorry for quality but i only had paint to draw in :-))
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds