Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Live Sand for Nitrate removal

• conor (conor)
  • conor (conor)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2006 18:33 #1 by conor (conor)
Live Sand for Nitrate removal was created by conor (conor)
I'm planning on adding Live sand to my converted rena external cannister.
I would not use beach sand, read somewhere you can get silicate leaching - googleit.

It holds about 18 ltr, but my tank is only 100ltr. It currently runs without any prefilters, just contains a single large piece of LR. I was planning to add LS to it for nitrate removal.

A pic (in case you missed it)
www.discuskeeping.com/Water_Change_Marine/slides/DSCF1207.html

Opinions welcome. :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2006 19:01 #2 by newrossman (newrossman)
Adding sand to external filter may make into a nitrate producer!

LR is the key or a good deep sand base in tank, at least 3 inchs. You need it to be O2 free so the anarobic guys can get to work

Also note the LR needs to be free of gunk to filter the nitrate. A turkey baser or a quick flush with power head once a month keeps it cleanish.

I have a 55 Gallon tank and got a few red mangrove pods which to my surprise are growing and starting to take the nitrate out, I got them on ebay and got alot for £20, using only 5 in tank and have about 20 left sitting in my small hosp tank, So if you want a few pm me. You need 1 per 5/10 gallons, I planted them in a pond planter with some sand and bits of rock, the need the head out of water and you just take the leave off as the die, the roots are the guys doing work.

Reef 55 Gallons

More
25 Jan 2007 05:21 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
Can u post a pic of the mangroves?
nice one

lampeye

More
25 Apr 2007 17:00 #4 by Cynos (Cynos)
mangroves

Have you a sump with a refuge?
would you not be better with macro algae in a DSB?
Something liek below?

• Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jul 2007 00:42 #5 by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah)
Replied by Ballabooyeah (Ballabooyeah) on topic Re: Live Sand for Nitrate removal
I have tried to import live sand from Fiji where I get live rock by the 1000kg air freighted from Fiji direct.

Problems are - Time to travel from Fiji to Ireland is to long for the life in the sand to still be alive once arrived.

Also Fiji Sand is a dull brown not a crisp white.

Best option to turn sand to live is to drop some fresh uncured rock on it and little creatures start turning the sand to life.

I have talked many times with Dr. Ron from Reef Central about this and asking about the Live Sand kick start packs you can get in the USA.

I guess the best way we can get diversity is to share some sand from each others tanks which would all have different organisms in it to share.

On the mangroves - I would like to try them out if there are any left - Sure I can find something to swap with you for them.

Andrew - Saltwater Life

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds