Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Orca/Boyu vs Fluval roma 90

More
26 Jun 2009 15:58 #1 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Hi,
Anyone have an opinion on the best to use for a marine tank. the first two have a built in filter system at the back of the tank whilst the fluval relies on a standard internal filter.

the other option is to just get an external filter if anyone is selling

Thanks

Feargal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2009 15:13 #2 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
just setup a boyu 80 liter tank my self very nice setup all you need 5kg of live as your filter pump turns 750l/h leave running for 2 weeks with lights off then u can add fish and corals fishantics are doing a offher for boyu 80 liter tank 5kg live rock coral sand heater box of salt hydrometer ex for 299 euro stand 69 euro its agreat deal. just added 2 fish and 2corals on wedensday doing great. ken

More
30 Jun 2009 09:39 #3 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Kenneth,
The deal below is what i went for. is it normal for the water to go cloudy and remain so. i added the RO water and the salt and mixed it all up and it looked fine. then added the sand and let it settle for a while before turning on filter. it all now looks milky white and cannont see back of tank. there is also a brownish scum on the top of the water

More
30 Jun 2009 15:05 #4 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
it will chear after aday or so scum on top is from the sand.what fillter system did u go for

More
30 Jun 2009 15:19 #5 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
just the standard internal one

More
30 Jun 2009 15:21 #6 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Are these the clown and damsel or did you put in something different. what corals did you get

Feargal

More
30 Jun 2009 15:48 #7 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
got normal clown fire fish 2 red shimp sick to soft corals got mushroom coral soft tree so far.have you got liverok in

More
30 Jun 2009 15:53 #8 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
stay away from damsels they get very nasty to orther fish

More
30 Jun 2009 15:57 #9 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
the sponsor offer has a clown and a damsel plus snails, shrimp and crabs all in the boyu. I'm assuming these will all live happily ever after

More
30 Jun 2009 15:59 #10 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Any suggestion in terms of the depth of sand to put in the 80l, minimal or good deep bed

More
30 Jun 2009 16:30 #11 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
i just put in a small bag i think was 5 kgs 1 inch thick you dont need much

More
02 Jul 2009 11:04 #12 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
kenneth,
you asked me earlier about the filter. Did you use a different one. kinda looking at getting a Tetra tex 600 which would cover 60-120l

More
02 Jul 2009 11:20 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
What size tank have you ?

More
02 Jul 2009 11:48 #14 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)

More
02 Jul 2009 11:50 #15 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
you dont need much filtration in boyu tank just the pump that comes with it and small bit of sponge and your live rock thats it . ken

More
02 Jul 2009 11:58 #16 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Did you remove all the balls and rings and various sponges and fill with live rock

More
02 Jul 2009 13:16 #17 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
yeah everything but a small sponge at the over flow top part of tank the rest is live rock about 6 kg is all you need for that tank

More
02 Jul 2009 19:33 #18 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Is that 6kg overall or just in the filter. Is it rubble or the full monty in the filter. and at the same €20+/kg. How does it stay live in the filter with no light

PS what is under your rocks to keep them off the base glass

More
02 Jul 2009 20:22 #19 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
6 kgs goes in to your tank works LIKE fillter in tank as wELL AS decor SAND ON BASE THEN BUILD ROCK UP

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds