Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

setting up boyu 80 liter as small marine tank

More
06 Jan 2010 22:22 #1 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
Been keeping cichlids for years and as well as large show tank i also have some smaller breeding tanks, one of these tanks is a boyu 80 liter tank which i bought in kinsealy for growing on cichlid fry, i chose this tank because while in the shop i seen he had one set up as a small marine aquarium which gave me the idea that later on i could do the same.
This is were i need help as never tried marine before so just few questions:

(1) what extra equipment must i add to the tank

(2) if anybody could possibly give me quick guide step by step on how to set this up

(3) how much would i be looking at in completing the job

thanks guys!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2010 22:40 #2 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
i set one up a few months ago heres what i got

10kg of live rock for main tank and 2kg of live rock for filter
4kg of coral sand
if you have lights for plants get new bulbes for marine
nano skimmer (not needed on such a small tank if you can commit to 10% water changes weekly)

you will need a hydrometer or refractometer to measure salinity
powerhead for water circulationover thelive rock

do NOT use the filter media you have now as it breeds nitrates in marine tanks.

all together it will cost around €20 a kg for the live rock
€10 for the sand (if you want to use it)
€120 for the nano skimmer (again you cando without this if you commit to 10% wc weekly)
€15 for hydrometer
€50 for powerhead
about €40 for a marine test kit

hope this helps
let me know if you need any more info

More
06 Jan 2010 22:50 #3 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
thanks very much for all the advice really heipfull, In the end did you find it was worthwhile setting up a tank this small as a marine tank? how many and what fish were suitable for it?

thanks again

More
06 Jan 2010 23:08 #4 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
I love my nano tank

i am starting to get more corals now
i have a few green star polyps, hammer coral, torch coral and tree coral. i have 2 clarkii clown fish and a fire fish. i could fit one more fish in but i like having the 3 fish with the coral.
for aclean up crew i have 3 hermit crabs 3 snails 2 cleaner shrimp and a serpent starfish.

I kept fresh water fish and then i went marine and aint looked back, i even got my girlfriend to get me a 300l tank for xmas. have it cycling at the moment.

More
07 Jan 2010 09:28 #5 by lesgodoy (Leandro Godoy)
Hi,

I would agree with everything irishfirepics said. I have had a 80l boyu for 8 months and then decided to get something bigger... I would probably add a carbon and phosphate remover. Rowa is a good brand and one of the sponsors is doing a 3 for 2 special on consumables at the moment, so this will help you save money!
The nano skimmer could be a pain to install and run, that tank was not really built to hold one. I got one for under 80 euro and then gave up using it after a few weeks... really not needed if you are doing your 10% water changes weekly.
In terms of livestock, I kept common clownfish, tailspot blenny, yellow tail damsel... Any of the coral gobies would be fine, a royal gramma.... I also had a six line wrasse, but would not recommend for this size tank. I had to take back, too much of a bully and a voracious feeder.
I had a green star polyp coral, mushrooms, finger corals... Definitely would recommend a clean up crew...

Hope this helps...

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds