Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

costs of running a marine tank

More
23 Jan 2010 10:28 #1 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
Hi everybody,

just a quick question as im still thinking about fully changing over to marine set ups, could anybody tell me if one was to run say a 500 liter marine tank with halide lighting and all the usuals such as skimmer, reactor pumps etc. how much roughly would the dreaded electricity bill increase?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2010 18:28 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Starting a marine tank myself soon, i say the only way to figure it out would be to add up the wattage of all the bits and pieces and work out the kw/h rate.

Some parts you can get cheap for example skimmers but when you compare the wattage of the cheap unit versus a more expensive unit the vary can be big and over the lifetime of the skimmer the extra esb costs could be a hell of a lot more.
But it is a catch 22 you need a lot of funds to get started in marines so you can old get what your budget allows.

I went for the leds instead of the halide lighting road with the running costs in mind. Expensive to buy but will pay for themselves several times over there lifetime.

Jeff

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2010 21:01 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:costs of running a marine tank
Hi Jeff,

Where did you get your leds?

Kev.

More
23 Jan 2010 21:35 #4 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
There are Aquaray led made by TMC, they come in 6 different choice, basically a mixture of blue and white leds combined in different ways. they are 12v per strip and you can buy them in singles, duos ie. 2 of the same or combi ie. a mixture of 2 different light combinations.

got them off Andy in Aquarium solutions, they also come for freshwater setups and specail one if you are into your plants.

got 2 duos last week and the light off them is unbeivable, you can grow softies and hard corals no probs but sps corals are a bit hit and miss with them.
For sps you would need alot of them for decent growth and they are not cheap so if you plan to go this route i would advise a bit of research.

If you want to see them in action Seahorse have them on the Beeta 680, the small tank in their show room.

There are a few sets for sale on ebay but to be honest the price difference is not that much from buying over here and if anything goes wrong they are easily sorted with a lfs but they come with a 5 year guarantee.

You thinking about getting some Kev

Jeff

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2010 22:03 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:costs of running a marine tank
Pm sent.

Kev.

More
24 Jan 2010 18:48 #6 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
My electricity bill went up by about 20 euro a month when I started the 460 liter marine instead of a 230 fresh. But I have since changed the lighting from halides to LED's which will bring it down by 7 euro a month but hasn't been billed yet

More
10 Feb 2010 09:43 #7 by CURLY (CHRIS)
My tank costs me a about £40 a week to run :( . All together im puting £60 or £70 a week into my house thats to run the hole house.
We might pay more in the north? if yous guys are from the south?

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds