Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice needed on Cheap Powerheads & flow

More
08 Jul 2010 10:29 - 08 Jul 2010 11:21 #1 by j14 (j14)
Hi All,

just looking for a bit of advice.

I have heard a few good reviews (mostly on American Sites) of Sun Sun powerheads and was wondering if I add them to my tank would I have too much flow.

My tank is a Red Sea Max 250 litre (3ftx2ftx2ft) with approx 40kg of Live Rock and mostly soft corals.

These are the pumps.

stores.shop.ebay.ie/Take-away-Store_Pump....c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=1

I "current"ly (bad joke) have 3 pumps in the tank.

1 x 2,400 lph Red Sea Stock Pump
1 x 1,200 lph Red Sea Stock Pump
1 x 4,500 lph Tunze nanostream 6045

I was thinking of adding 1 x 12,000 lph (to the main area of the tank) & 1 x 5,000 (behind the rock work) which would bring my total lph turnover up to 25,100 lph or 100 times turnover per hour.

I'm thinking this may be too much flow.

Any suggestions?

Jay.

Arsene knows...
Last edit: 08 Jul 2010 11:21 by j14 (j14).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2010 11:54 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi there. That seems like a lot for that tank but you should first check the prefered flow rate for the individual coral species you have. Some like fast flow and others prefer little or none so that is where you need to focus your attention. Consider also where you have your corals placed, if need be you can move them and direct the appropiate flow rate at them depending on what that particular coral likes, if you get my drift...another bad joke :) . Hope this helps,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
08 Jul 2010 12:31 #3 by j14 (j14)
I get ya and thanks for the reply.

Most of my corals are mushrooms or leathers so I just want enough flow to keep them clean and also to make sure enough water is passing through the rock work

I think 100 times turnover per hour may have been too much flow alright.

I may just go for the single 3,000 or 5,000 behind the rock work to keep things moving and with no dead spots.

Still quite a cheap price for such powerful power heads.

Jay.

Arsene knows...

More
08 Jul 2010 13:03 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Yeah I reckon that will be plenty, and you are right, thats quite a bargain. Best of luck with them and looking foward to the pics...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
08 Jul 2010 13:28 #5 by j14 (j14)
Just bought the 5,000lph model for the grand sum of €25.

Estimated delivery time is 10 - 14 days from China.

I'll post up what its like when I get it.

Arsene knows...

More
08 Jul 2010 16:06 #6 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
j14 wrote:

Just bought the 5,000lph model for the grand sum of €25.

Estimated delivery time is 10 - 14 days from China.

I'll post up what its like when I get it.

Did you check the voltage of the powerheads?? And a quick safety tip throw away the adapter and get new ones if it is a 2 pin socket on the powerhead. The ones i got are fire hazards i wouldn,t recommend anyone to use them

Jeff

More
08 Jul 2010 16:50 #7 by j14 (j14)
Thanks for the reply. They are 220v, I checked before I got them. I was warned to change the adapters already. Sure I'll see how I get on. The livestock won't know what hit it!!!

Arsene knows...

More
08 Jul 2010 18:19 #8 by michaelangello (Michael)
I Have two of the 5000LPH ones and there is serious flow from them, so much so i was thinking of getting smaller ones but i managed to direct them just right and they are fine now. Although if you have fish that are not great swimmers ie. box fish, they will just get blown around the place.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds