Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best Skimmer

More
07 Oct 2010 00:30 #1 by michaelangello (Michael)
Im goin to invest in a new skimmer this weekend and just looking for peoples opinions on them. Was recommended the tmc v2 600 skimmer in the LFS as I have a 400ltr tank and 50ltr sump. Would it be better to get this over the tmc v2 400 one? Also Whats the noise like from them if anyone knows?

Ive also bin looking at a deltec MCE500 skimmer too, would this be much of an improvement over the tmc range because the is certainly a big difference in the price!

Thanks for all the input.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 10:54 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi there. I can highly recommend the Deltec series of skimmers. Very quiet and and the MC-500 is suitable for big tanks like yours. I used one in a 400ltr marine setup and was chuffed with it. I recently turned to a FOWLR system and ceased using the skimmer which is now for sale in the for sale section here. If you are interested in it drop me a pm. Used for three months and is good as new.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
07 Oct 2010 11:09 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:Best Skimmer
no question.deltec everytime for me.more expensive sure..but with marines there's no need to muck about.

dont make me come over there.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2010 16:24 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Best Skimmer
I use a deltec 500 it doesn't get better, silent too, you will read of people getting noise from them, it is always fixed by tugging gently on the air intake or the power cable, the filter is vibrating against the Housing that's all.

( And NO, you shouldn't go pulling power Cables, i suggest a very Gentle movement & common sense.)

Kev.

More
07 Oct 2010 22:06 - 07 Oct 2010 22:07 #5 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
I think the V2 600 will be too small for a 450 liter tank. Those manufacturer skimmer ratings are always way off. I'd recommend an 800. Personally if i was getting a new skimmer i'd look into bubble magus NAC-7. They look well better than the deltec. Deltec are the best that i've actually seen operating in the flesh. Cant be sure which sponsor has bubble magus but I think it was seahorse
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 22:07 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2010 22:13 - 07 Oct 2010 22:14 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Best Skimmer
My Deltec is in the Tank parallel to the side and it's practical invisible bar the Skimming Cup that must be partially above the Waterline for it to skim.

Kev.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 22:14 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
07 Oct 2010 23:08 #7 by michaelangello (Michael)
All the research ive done now on the internet is pointing me to deltec so think ill get one of them. Havent seen one bad thing wrote bout them

More
08 Oct 2010 18:18 #8 by mixer (MICK BRADLEY)
I've seen them on Ebay at a great price and iam thinking of getting one myself, it's just that iam worried about if it is the real deal.

More
08 Oct 2010 21:14 - 08 Oct 2010 21:16 #9 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Bubble King ....if you've got a good job... a very good job....:laugh:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 21:16 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds