Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

FLUVAL OSAKA 155

More
07 Oct 2010 19:56 #1 by mixer (MICK BRADLEY)
Hey Lads,
The misses has fallen in love with the osaka and is going to buy me it for xmas. I was wondering if any of you had any
taughts on if it would be suitable for marine and what extra equipment i would need to start it off. It comes with a
205 external filter
150watt heater
2x 24 watt t5 lights
I say i will need a protein skimmer,powerheads,live rock and live sand and maybe new bulbs. But i need help on what makes,sizes and costs as money is limited.
All taughts and ideas would great lads.
Mick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 20:00 #2 by dar (darren curry)
jammy git, that tank is a beauty. congrats

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
07 Oct 2010 20:15 #3 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
I love that tank Mick was tempted myself along time ago but it never worked out.

The biggest drawback for me was that it was not predrilled for a sump. I know you can have a marine without a sump but personally i did not want all the equipment on show in the main tank, heater skimmer etc.
I suppose I could worked in a sump to the tank with some sort of overflow into a purpose built sump in the cabinet but to messy and expensive for myself.

You are dead right to have a good think before you buy as this is one piece of equipment that once purchased won,t get changed for a long time.

Let us know what you decide, the decision and kitting out of a marine tank is nearly as good as having a marine tank up and running.

Good luck

Jeff

More
08 Oct 2010 10:28 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I love that tank, but I was in a shop recently when a customer tried to order one they were told they were discontinued and the shop keeper made a few calls and established there was one in the UK and ordered it for them. So unless you know a shop that has one in stock you may need to get on the phone quick and see it there are any others lying around.

Can't imagine why it was discontinued I think they were a great looking tank.

Daragh

More
08 Oct 2010 10:31 #5 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:FLUVAL OSAKA 155
lovely looking tank but they were recalled because the braces were crappy and the have a tendency to burst!had it happen on a customer.messy biz.sorry If I've ruined the dream!

dont make me come over there.

More
08 Oct 2010 11:52 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Ah that explains it, better a ruined dream than a wet carpet.

Surely they will rectify the issue and re-release a similar design, they were real centrepiece tanks.

Daragh

More
08 Oct 2010 12:02 #7 by dar (darren curry)
could decent braces be purchased for it?

this has me freaked now as my tank has brutal braces

More
08 Oct 2010 12:08 #8 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Beautiful tank. Can you send on instructions for convincing OH please

More
08 Oct 2010 12:09 #9 by Gavin (Gavin)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Ah that explains it, better a ruined dream than a wet carpet.

Surely they will rectify the issue and re-release a similar design, they were real centrepiece tanks.

Daragh

was talking to the rep last week and this is indeed the case.expect news from them on a new line of tanks (similar to them) in the comming month or so.

More
08 Oct 2010 12:11 - 08 Oct 2010 12:12 #10 by Gavin (Gavin)
sincgar wrote:

Beautiful tank. Can you send on instructions for convincing OH please

that's the trick..just don't tell them and bring things home.take the beating and enjoy the product/fish/huge t.v. whatever.

Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 12:12 by Gavin (Gavin). Reason: cant spell can i

More
08 Oct 2010 17:59 #11 by mixer (MICK BRADLEY)
Thanks for the advice lads, i will be going up to the LFS on sunday and will have a chat to them about it.
That could explain why it is 278euros, if i get it i better increase the house insuranceas, i don't think she will open the purse strings for a different tank.
Mick

More
08 Oct 2010 18:08 #12 by dar (darren curry)
surely stronger braces can be bought

More
08 Oct 2010 18:44 - 08 Oct 2010 19:05 #13 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
mixer wrote:

Thanks for the advice lads, i will be going up to the LFS on sunday and will have a chat to them about it.
That could explain why it is 278euros, if i get it i better increase the house insuranceas, i don't think she will open the purse strings for a different tank.
Mick

€278 Get up there quick and buy it. when i was pricing around for one the price went from €700 to €500 in the end i got it for €440

At that price id buy another one:)
Really good tank i love it

Mark
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 19:05 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
08 Oct 2010 18:47 #14 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
08 Oct 2010 21:04 #15 by mixer (MICK BRADLEY)
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Mark, I went to buy it online after you gave me your price and it was gone, it was still there 10 mins earlier so iam going to call them first thing in the morning to see if they can get me one.
Well maybe not first thing after watching the match i need alcohol!

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds