Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What Lights?

More
17 Oct 2010 08:14 #1 by michaelangello (Michael)
Ok I have a 700mm Arcadia series 4 150w Halide with 2 28w blues, my tank is 1000mm wide so this gives a couple of shady areas. Would 1200mm long 6x54w T5s be better here? the tank is 800mm deep too. I have all sorts of corals growing from mushys to acroporas.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2010 10:21 #2 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:What Lights?
All I cna say is the power consumption would be better with the T5s but as this is Marine I honestly couldn't say other than you want to light up the whole tank, I've naer a clue about marine lighting requirements depending on the tanks contents.

mark

Location D.11

More
18 Oct 2010 10:56 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi Mick, heres the unit Im selling.

Betta 1200 6x54w T5 unit. This Over-Tank Luminaire comes with 4x54w marine white lamps each packing 14,000k and 2x54w 420nm Actinic lamps. It also comes with a suspension bracket, built in splash guard and reflectors.

Heres some images of the unit with white and actinic lamps over a 400 liter aqualantis.

Luminaire

White Lamps

Actinic Lamps

As you can see the whole tank is illuminated and to be honest I only ever ran it with two whites and the two actinics as the power of them as way more than I needed so I left the other two white lamps off. Sps and Lps corals will thrive and coraline algae growth was amazing under these.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
18 Oct 2010 23:21 #4 by michaelangello (Michael)
I don't know i think i might get better light from my unit. There would be an over hang of 100mm each side too which would mess with my head! Being the symmetrical type i am!

More
18 Oct 2010 23:24 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
No worries mate, thats allowed :laugh:. Best of luck with whatever you decide and keep us updated with pics of the setup.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
18 Oct 2010 23:27 - 18 Oct 2010 23:27 #6 by michaelangello (Michael)
Yeah cool, im waiting for seahorse to get their golden marindo coral delivery in next week so i can get a few nice pieces, then ill throw a few pics up
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 23:27 by michaelangello (Michael).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds