Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Do you want a marine setup?

More
26 Nov 2010 13:56 - 29 Nov 2010 09:25 #1 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
Hi folks,
I'm dismantling my marine tank, and I've live rock, a Jewel 220L tank & stand, 3 power heads, a filter, & a skimmer that's going.

As opposed to giving it away for free or charging for it, I'd prefer for someone to offer a small donation to the Irish Cancer society.

Any takers?

Kit & kaboodle will go to biggest charity donation - no offer too small)

For picture see here: www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=338768

[Edit]FYI This is:
1. A Jewel Rio 240 Aquarium & Cabinate (price new at €650)
2. AquaC Remora Skimmer (price new at €150)
3. Fluval 305 Filter (priced new at €180)
4. Approx 20 Kg Fiji live rock (priced at €150)
5. Powerheads.
6. Lights.
7. White coral sand.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2010 09:25 by Zulu (Vinny Keane).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2010 14:34 #2 by JohnH (John)
This is an excellent offer from Zulu for anyone interested in Marines, I really applaud your suggestion that the tank can go to the person making the highest donation to the Irish Cancer Society.
Come on lads - get your offers flooding in.

I'll start the ball rolling with €100.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 Nov 2010 14:58 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Very seasonal offer, very good idea.

€125

Daragh

More
26 Nov 2010 15:08 #4 by roealdo (j)
Just saw this on adverts.ie. Fair play to you

More
26 Nov 2010 15:16 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if i was into marines i'd jump on this, but fair play for the decision to go the charity donation route, well done and hope it raises a lot

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
26 Nov 2010 16:30 #6 by andrewo (andrew)
Thumbs up for this very very good cause indeed! If i hadnt already just bought one 2 weeks back i wld bid as well. Whoever you are buddy i hope you will be blessed for this selfless act!:)

More
26 Nov 2010 16:35 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Come on there must be someone else out there interested in this ? ?

BTW how does it end, is there a time limit or what.

Daragh

More
26 Nov 2010 17:29 #8 by dar (darren curry)
friend as cancer has touched most of our lives, i think wat your doing is beautiful, my hat comes of to you sir/madaam your a credit to society

here's a tatoo i got for my mam last year

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
26 Nov 2010 17:47 #9 by roealdo (j)
There is some lads on adverts offering €50. What a spa.

My dad died of cancer last year and I'll get behind this in anyway I can

More
26 Nov 2010 18:54 #10 by des (des)
fairplay to you Zulu
that's very good of you
hope it goes well

More
26 Nov 2010 20:34 #11 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
This is a fantastic offer, and an ideal way for someone new to marines to get going. Fair play to ya Zulu ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
26 Nov 2010 20:41 #12 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
I have to say Zulu fair play to you that is such a brilliant Idea and very noble of you!! It's great seeing someone in this day and age doing somethin as great as this! My dad has suffered with an beaten cancer twice if I didn't have a marine tank already I'd be bidding like there's no tomorrow! I'll make a donation on Tuesday/Wednesday anyway when I get paid!:)

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
26 Nov 2010 20:43 #13 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
First off - thanks a million for all the support folks. I think cancer cuts close to us all at some stage or another unfortunatly.

Currently Darragh has the highest bid.

I'm going to let this run for a days - as you are all aware, a 220L tank, stand, pumps, filter, lights, skimmer, rock & coral is worth a fair chunk! So I'm sure you won't mind too much. :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2010 21:48 - 26 Nov 2010 21:52 #14 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Do you want a marine setup?
Ok, let me see if I can be of assistance, are you ok with me posting this on the staff Web pages at Dublin City University where I work?

How do you want the Donation to be administered, do you want to make the Donation yourself or do you want the recipient to do so?, I'm assuming the former.

Kev.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2010 21:52 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
27 Nov 2010 00:03 #15 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
stretnik wrote:

Ok, let me see if I can be of assistance, are you ok with me posting this on the staff Web pages at Dublin City University where I work?

How do you want the Donation to be administered, do you want to make the Donation yourself or do you want the recipient to do so?, I'm assuming the former.

Kev.

Wow Kev, that would be great. Absolutly - the more we can get the better.

In terms of the donation, I don't mind if someone does it themselves - as long as they can scan or show a receipt as proof and that the receipt is dated correctly. So long as it goes to the legitmate cause, I'll be happy - thats the important thing.

More
27 Nov 2010 00:13 #16 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Great idea zula fair play.

Bid €150

More
27 Nov 2010 00:17 #17 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Great to see you going back into Marines Platty.

Daragh

More
28 Nov 2010 15:15 #18 by q547 (Joseph King)
just a thought on this, if someone makes a bid over €250 (say €251) it's tax deductible at your higher rate. So if you're on the 41% rate you'll get €102 back... And the charity still gets €250, net spend for you is only €151....

Now if only I had room for another tank....

More
28 Nov 2010 16:02 - 28 Nov 2010 16:03 #19 by DJK (David Kinsella)
q547 wrote:

just a thought on this, if someone makes a bid over €250 (say €251) it's tax deductible at your higher rate. So if you're on the 41% rate you'll get €102 back... And the charity still gets €250, net spend for you is only €151....

Now if only I had room for another tank....

Well said q547, but that is only for people who pay their taxes under the self-assessment system.

Under the PAYE system using your example above the €251 will be treated under the grossing up procedure as if tax at 41% had already being paid on it. This will make the donation valued at €424 after the relevant charity claims the relief themselves after a relevant form with your details is submitted to the revenue.

A good deal for the charity and rightly so.

Come on all you high earners out there!

Dave
Last edit: 28 Nov 2010 16:03 by DJK (David Kinsella).

More
28 Nov 2010 19:01 #20 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hi,
great idea.Not a high earner,not in the marines...BUT go for the crack.I put 200 Euros on it.
Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
29 Nov 2010 04:13 - 29 Nov 2010 20:07 #21 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
go on Tim, hope for your sake some bids higher than you or your missus will have your guts for garters, hey but divorce is a low price to pay for a marine tank ;)

Last edit: 29 Nov 2010 20:07 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: spelling error

More
29 Nov 2010 09:26 #22 by Zulu (Vinny Keane)
Frontosa wrote:

Hi,
great idea.Not a high earner,not in the marines...BUT go for the crack.I put 200 Euros on it.
Regards,Tim

Thanks a million Tim! You're in the lead currently.

More
29 Nov 2010 18:11 #23 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
I hope in ur interest for another move;) .Regards,Tim

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.

More
29 Nov 2010 18:13 #24 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
jesus tim u must be runnin out of room:laugh:

More
29 Nov 2010 19:54 #25 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
mossy wrote:

jesus tim u must be runnin out of room:laugh:

....and in trouble with the wife:laugh: Regards,Tim

More
06 Dec 2010 18:46 #26 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hi Zulu,
was reading on lfks forum that new bid is 235 Euros.Could you please keep this thread updated.Regards,Tim

More
06 Dec 2010 20:03 #27 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
phew then for you Tim, you could be off the hook

More
06 Dec 2010 20:25 #28 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
:ohmy: ...you never know
Regards,Tim

More
07 Dec 2010 12:42 #29 by paulwh (paul)
hey zulu,
id be happy to offer 350Euro as a donation to the ICS. looks like a good set up. though id probably need your advice on immediate set-up as ive never kept marines...but i always wanted to:) and i know about fish in general (kept discus and cyclid and community tanks b4)and understand the need for patience to set up a successful marine tank. also, i dont have any way to transport it if im successful....im in lucan dublin.id be happy to give u the cash to make the donation yourself.
Paul

More
07 Dec 2010 12:46 - 07 Dec 2010 12:47 #30 by dar (darren curry)
paulwh wrote:

hey zulu,
id be happy to offer 350Euro as a donation to the ICS. looks like a good set up. though id probably need your advice on immediate set-up as ive never kept marines...but i always wanted to:) and i know about fish in general (kept discus and cyclid and community tanks b4)and understand the need for patience to set up a successful marine tank. also, i dont have any way to transport it if im successful....im in lucan dublin.id be happy to give u the cash to make the donation yourself.
Paul

fair play to you mate
could the marine lads make a thread for this lad detailing every aspect of it

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 07 Dec 2010 12:47 by dar (darren curry).

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds