Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help Please First Marine Tank

More
08 Feb 2011 21:34 #1 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Hi
In the process of getting into the hobby and converting my jewel 125 to a nano tank, Im a little confused on what system to go for dont want to build a sump.
I have bought alot of good quality live rock that the shop is holding for me and a protein Skimmer... from ebay?. Its just the tank is small so I want to have as little equipment in it as I can the protein skimmer is internal...now its just I have been told if I got good quality live rock for the tank and bought myself an external canister filter and crushed some live rock to put into the external canaister this would do? ie... the live rock to do the bio, and the canaister to move the water and clean.

The canaister method would save alot of space in my tank and all I would have to add is a heater, but the protein skimmer I would have to cut the hood and attach the skimmer above ...also I have been told they are quite loud..

I plan to have 2 or 3 soft corals.

Tx

Is their a canister that has a heater built in ...also I have seen a jbl thats giving and external uv filter with it ...good or bad for aquarium?? also what flow rate would I need.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2011 21:41 #2 by andrewo (andrew)
Welcome and welcome again to saltwater :) I dont think you need a sump for a tank that size. Good quality liverock? As far as i know you still gotta let the rock settle for almost 2 months before the CUC goes in; then fish then corals. So in theory you dont need a skimmer in the beginning.

Thats just my 2 cents as im only in marine for the last few months myself. Drop by the nearest sponsor and im glad they can give you handy pointers.Many others here will no doubt be coming to your rescue soon too or you can also go to our marine section and see new start up guides. You really need a lot of patience for the cycle and of course lots more of $$$$$ :laugh:

All the best.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 21:43 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Help Please First Marine Tank
Hi IKKF,

Yep, Eheim make a lovely External Filter, it contains a Heater and I haven't heard too much negativity in their regard, Hydor, I think, make an in-line heater that you attach to the external tube that heats the water as it passes through it.

media.zooplus.com/bilder/eheim/external/...ia/1/300/36486_1.jpg

Kev.
Attachments:

More
08 Feb 2011 21:48 #4 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Tx for the reply also I have seen the prices of the test kits ...I have a fresh water test kit think api could I use this to keep track of the cycling of the tank.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 21:50 - 08 Feb 2011 21:54 #5 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: Help Please First Marine Tank
BEWARE! If you are considering using an Eheim Thermofilter make sure it is the models rated for marine use. If you use the freshwater ones for salt water the seams on the heating element can split and pretty much explode.

Don't want to cause any alarm or anything! :pinch:

The API fresh master test kits don't work with salt water, apart from one of them (either pH or ammonia AFAIR)... I tried it myself before for the craic. Maybe someone here might swap with you if they've gone gone the other way?!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2011 21:54 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg).

More
08 Feb 2011 22:03 #6 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Ya just looked on the site its just for fresh water think will stay at the present with a small wave maker and protein skimmer Ill do some thing with it im quite handy ... so when I put the live rock in to start the cycle I dont have to switch on the skimmer also when the tank is up and running after a few months do I have to keep the skimmer on all the time, I have bought 15kg of live rock ...went mad a little!

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds