Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hose cleaning

More
23 May 2006 03:09 #1 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hi all,
The hoses on my external filter need to be cleaned as they are fairly messed up with slime/algae etc.
What's the best way to clean them.

Thanks
Processor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2006 05:41 #2 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: Hose cleaning
If you can find a health store see if they stock bottle brushes for brewing. Tie a piece of string/twine around the bottlebrush and pull it through the pipes a few times. Alternatively use a cloth wad but it tends not to be as effective. All of the above assumes that the pipes are disconnected from the external cleaner and that they are short enough to straighten allowing the rope etc to pass through. I use a small lead weight for fishing to get the rope through the pipes on my external filter.

More
23 May 2006 12:31 #3 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Thanks Zebadee I'll try that.

Just can't get the image of you with a fishing rod dangling over your tank out of my head.

Thanks again
Processor.

More
23 May 2006 12:54 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Some times the fish shops stock a set brushes for this.

More
24 May 2006 01:36 #5 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: Hose cleaning
I forgot to mention but I'm sure you probably know this that when flusing the pipes avoid any detergent, astringent or non tank origin water. I usually use water I have siphoned off during a water change to flush the pipes and filter baskets etc.

Thanks for the image Processor, I'll assume you aren't comparing me to a garden gnome!

More
24 May 2006 02:38 #6 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
No I was thinking more of you the tent pitched behind you with the camping gas ring an'a cuppa tay in hand watching and waiting patiently at the tank... but now that you mention it ????

Thanks for making me laugh this morning.
Processor.

PS.Detergent noted, ta.

More
24 May 2006 08:38 #7 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Hose cleaning
Excellant 'fishing weight' tip. Just cleaned my hoses using it - already have the brushes which I had picked up in Aquatic Village some time ago. Don't ask about the grief I went through before

Monty

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds