Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ro water

• lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
  • lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Apr 2007 03:59 #1 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Ro water was created by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Hi

Do any shops sell RO water and if so how much would 25 litres cost.

I have hair algae due to a problem with phosphates in the tapwater and even Rowaphos ain't doing me any good.

The missus would go spare if I suggested getting a unit myself, besides the water pressure here is crap.

Thanks

Lucky

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Apr 2007 04:29 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Ro water
I just bought an MWS Ro unit on ebay for 48€ including shipping. Even my when it comes to fishkeeping long suffering wife didn't flip an eyelid. The water pressure here isn't great either but it works. Checked with tds meter.
No big mess involved. Came with a tap connector and messy cutting of pipes and installing of valves etc.
My unit came from France but with English instructions. No worries about spares either. MWS is one of the market leaders.

More
15 Apr 2007 12:12 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re: Ro water
I get mine from aquatic village.think they charge just 2euro for a 25ltr drum.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2007 13:02 #4 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Replied by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden) on topic Re: Ro water
Thanks

I'll check that out.

Lucky

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 02:34 #5 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic RO
I am surprised the Rowafoss isn't doing the job are you sure it's not overlighting and overfeeding??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 03:38 #6 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
I do 5 hours on, five hours off and 5 hours on for lighting.

Food is snapped up pretty quickly by the fish, none left after a minute or so and I don't think I'm overstocked.

Nitrate tests out at practically nil in the tank, about 20 from the tap, the plants must be snapping that up.

I think my tap water is high in phosphates. I use an API test kit. The colour turns out a very murky green, which of course is not one of the colours on the colour chart, but very far from the colour which signifies nil.

I reckon any water changes I do just keeps my phosphates topped up nicely, overwhelming the rowaphos.

If the ro water sorts it out, €2 a week won't be too expensive I think.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 04:30 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
What size is your tank if you only change 25 l every two weeks? If you changed a third every two weeks as recommended by most fishkeepers your tank would hold only 75 litres. You didn't mention what fish and how many you keep either and also very importantly what you feed them. For example frozen bloodworm is laden with phosphates and should always be rinsed before feeding it.
And just do the maths on 25l @ 2€ *26 weeks=52 €. My RO unit was cheaper. And I will not have to drag 25 litres around. Especially akward if you buy it in Dublin and have to haul the stuff to your car. And you save the money for the car park as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 05:03 #8 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
It's a RIO 240 and I would be changing 25 litres a week, just over 10%

My fish are

4 colombian tetras
6 cardinals
5 neons
2 clown loaches,
2 otos
1 upside down catfish
3 zebra danios
5 serpae tetras (which don't harass my other fish, luckily enough)

I feed flake and catfish pellets, which disappear pretty quickly so I don't reckon I'm overfeeding. I also give a days break each week.

I'm up in Tallaght each weekend so the travel or parking isn't an issue. €2 a week is practically nothing.

Messing with plumbing, taking up more space under the sink or having water barrels collecting in the kitchen may end up in a severe de-bollocking however.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 05:13 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Ok, before you get your privates severed off...
I would change more water. 25% a week or so. 10% isn't enough in my mind. Start off with this and see where you are going before you start dragging water around Dublin. Black beard algae are a pain in the backside and very hard to shift.
I would strip the tank and treat with bleach. Clean thorougly. Get rid of any stones and gravel you have in it and replace. If you have any plants in it where the alage has settled on , I'm afraid, they will have to go as well. No piss acting around with removing only the leaves that are effected. Bin the whole lot.
It's a day's work but well worth the effort.
When's the last time you replaced the bulbs? If they are too old their spectrum will shift and alagae just love this.
I think your phosphate test kit is either out of date or got contaminated somewhere along the way if it shows a colour that isn't even on the chart.

One last word about RO units. They do come with adapters you can simply screw onto on ouside outlet for a garden house. If you are living in an apartment you are of course still up sh*t creek without a paddle

More
16 Apr 2007 07:13 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Just for the record, aquatic village have space for over 50 cars n parking is free!!!!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 09:33 #11 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re: Ro water
As Apisto & Seratus said your water change are to say the least pretty poor and I don't mean to be offensive. What does the 240 hold about 40 gal's and you change 5 gal's per 2 weeks!! There is your major prob.

More
16 Apr 2007 11:53 #12 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: Ro water
I'd agree. I think you need to check out your lighting and up your water changes before you start thinking about RO water.

I had a bad algae problem and did a lot of reading. From what I read, there is no definitive proof that high phosphates = algae. I'm not sure ths is your problem.

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 16:15 #13 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
I don't know where the 5 gallons a fortnight came from.

I was proposing getting 25 litres of ro water a week for €2 per week. I would imagine this would have to be diluted to some extent by normal tap water.

I am doing fairly hefty water changes at the moment, but the point I was making was that this just seems to be topping up my phosphates and nitrates, rather than removing pollutants.

I have two fairly new tubes and two brand spanking new tubes, and the ones they replaced weren't too old, less than a year. They're the bog standard tubes that come with the juwel light fitting. I have the extra light fitting in the top of the tank for a total of four t8 tubes.

I forgot to mention my swordtails who seem to be making stirling efforts to tear the algae off wherever it settles, but it's a losing battle as I would imagine I'd have to have a fair few to make any difference.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Food for thought and all that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 01:42 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
You also stated that your present water change rate is 25l per week. What you forgot to mention in your stocklist are the swordtails:-)

What kind of plants if any do you have in the tank? If you don't have any plants in the tank 2 bulbs would be more than enough for your tank.
If you do have plants your tank probably would benefit from a CO2 unit. No need to buy one you can make your own at very little cost.
You should aim between 20-30mg/l of CO2 for optimum plant growth. Initially go for some fast growing stem plants. A floating plant like salvinia will also mop up any surplus nutrients. I can send you some slavinia. You can pm me your address and I'll mail it up to you.

Holger

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 02:30 #15 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Ro
It's a RIO 240 and I would be changing 25 litres a week, just over 10%

10% a week it should be at least double that. A daily water change is more beneficial than a large one weekly. as for phosphates in your tap water I can't see the ammount you are talking about being possible. no one is slagging you only trying to help. The main cause of phosphate buit up is as stated, frozen food contains a lot of Nutrients, strain first & rise. over feeding, not frequent enough water changes and to much lighting. what about plant fertiliser are you adding these? all these contribute to ideal conditions for Algea build up.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 03:49 #16 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Thanks guys, I know you're trying to help.

I have a fair amount of vallis in the tank which is spreading all over the place. I'll have to re-arrange soon and the taller plants are spreading forward to the front. I have some others I don't have the name of which are fast growing and I regularly pull lumps of it out. I also have some elodea which grows away.

I've stopped fertilizing for the last couple of weeks which doesn't seem to have done the plants any harm. I've got tetra eco something or other substrate with a heating cable.

I also vacuum the gravel when I'm syphoning out my more that 25l per week I currently change (I'm not giving ground on that one)

I have a co2 unit which I'm going to put in.

I'll try and get a couple of pics up this evening.

Thanks for the offer of the plants Holger, I'll pm you.

I may do a diary to show how it's coming along, you never know.

More
17 Apr 2007 03:51 #17 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
A diary would be an excellent idea. Go for it!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 15:59 #18 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Okay, as you can see I'm no photographer but here's a link to photobucket

s156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/lucky_dresden/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 01:53 #19 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
And where is the excessive algae? That tank looks quite nice. Ok, the resolution of the pictures mightn't be good enough but I can't see any algae to worry about.
Salvinia went into the post this morning.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 02:44 #20 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
The clear patch on the right is where I removed a piece of bogwood that was covered in the stuff. Is it safe to bleach bog wood or will it absorb some and leach it back into the water later?
I have some more bogwwod at the back which is also covered. I regularly trim off excessively covered leaves as well.

I'll try and get some close ups.

Thanks

Pat

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 02:55 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Pat,
are we talking about black (actually a very dark green) hair algae? They are a bitch to get rid of. CO2 definitely helps. Frequent big water changes are a must. You could also get an inline UV sterilizer that will kill the spores. Expensive though. The RO unit would be cheaper.
To convince your wife/girlfriend that the cost are not too excessive just ask them how much their last handbag or pair of shoes were and how long they will last or be in fashion.Works for me every time. Handbag 150€, in vogue for max 1 year after which a new one needs to be purchased= 3 discus lasting for 10+years each. You can't breed handbags either and make money back on them either...I can't see how anybody can fail to follow this logic.
You can't bleach bogwood. You could use hydrogen peroxide but I'd just dunk the bogwood into boiling water.

Holger

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 04:24 #22 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Yes, black hairy stuff.

I'm considering chucking my gravel as it's quite large. Not sure whether to replace it with sand or just smaller gravel.

Sand looks well but I'm not sure about cleaning it. In the tank I mean. Does the poo just sit on top waiting to be syphoned?

Might get rid of the bogwood as well, can't really see it at the moment and it just seems to accumulate huge amounts of crap underneath it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 05:57 #23 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Coarse gravel is not really suitable for aquarium use. Fine gravel is ideal if you want to have a planted tank. Food doesn't get trapped in it easily.

If you chose to re-do your tank, place the bogwood into the bottom of the tank first and then fill in your gravel. This way nothing can accumulate underneath the wood.

While sand looks nice it's not the ideal substrate for plants. It's possible to grow plants in sand but why bother if you don't need to?
Best way to get nutrients to the roots is to put a heater cable into the tank. this will allow a certain flow of water through the substrate and transport nutrients to the roots.
Sand also needs a bit mor maintenace. Faeces and food will collect on the surface and need to be syphoned out not to ruin the overall look of your tank

Holger

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds