Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Painted Background

More
16 Apr 2007 03:06 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Just wondering if people still paint the back of their tanks, if so, what type of paint and what colour, Navy blue, blue black etc....

I will be setting up a Malawi Tank in a few months with loads of rocks etc.

I was gonna buy the textured background and silicone it on but the last time i did this it came off after a few months. I was thinking DIY background but i'm way too lazy for that......

Anyone recommend painting??

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2007 03:17 #2 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I'm not a huge fan of the textured background that you can buy from the shops. The reason behind my opinion is that they always look like they are repeating themselves. I.e. With the juwel background you will need three-four pieces to cover the back of the tank and these pieces are the same thus it looks very obvious.

If you have the time and energy I would defiantly make sometime but since time is harder to come by than money you might be better off painting it. I have never painted a tank before but I have read that silicone based paint is the best stuff to use as it is mainly non-toxic and it applies easily leaving no streaks also it is meant to be easier to remove.

An easier option that I use is a large sheet of coloured card that you can but in any art and hobby shop. An A0, or A2 should not cost more than 4 euro, simply cut to size and adhere with tape. Cheapest, fastest and easiest to use by far and result are very effective.--- plus you can get any colour you want!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
16 Apr 2007 05:22 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I might try the cardboard from a hobby shop and see what kind of effect it gives, worth a bash anyway. Only a few euro, like you say.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
17 Apr 2007 09:07 #4 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
you can get nice structured background
from back to nature from gav in wackers

picasaweb.google.com/micksmedia/Moorii/p...#5048863160247177410

picasaweb.google.com/micksmedia/Moorii/p...#5048863186016981218

alternatively.. what about a plain vinyl background?

More
20 Apr 2007 12:11 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
If you do decide to paint the tank use 3-4 coats of emulsion. Apply with a roller so you dont get brush marks. Seal this with polyurethane (varnish).
If you dont seal it you could end up with scratches or in the case of a marine tank the salt creep will remove the paint.
This is done on the outside of the tank, obviously.

I would still go with the card from an art shop. Remember to put a line of tape across the top of the card and over the top rim of the glass so you dont get any water going down the back causing unsightly water marks.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds