Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Back To Nature, Backgrounds

More
17 Apr 2007 08:15 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
Who in Ireland does these backgrounds, I'm looking for the modules in particular.
I've rang a few places and nothing yet
Cheeers.

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2007 09:02 #2 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
gav in wackers can get them in for you
send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 09:24 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Back To Nature, Backgrounds
Did you win the lotto? Christ, I had a look on the net. If I got one of them for my 2m tank, I'd be paying more for the background than the tank itself

More
17 Apr 2007 09:25 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
You can order them straight from Petshoponline.ie

Check out the link: www.petshoponline.ie/customer/home.php?cat=649

This could be the cheapest option. If your an ITFS member you get 10% off it.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 09:32 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Back To Nature, Backgrounds
I think it is about time someone on this forum made their own background in order to show people how easy it is,really.I cannot believe those prices,and they are in the most awkward sizes,not by accident either!

I know if someone had a tank displayed at the show with their homemade backgrounds and they were half decent someone could make alot of money?

More
17 Apr 2007 09:47 #6 by zale (Mark carroll)
@ arabesque
I actually rang wackers & was told No, but will email.

@ Holger
lol, No lotto win, their more on the wish list, but was thinking for the upcoming tank doing it big and expensive (hopefully that will keep me happy for a few years or will it?)
Mind you I'm going to get styrofoam and give it a go 1st, that should be fun. I might even post some pics of the disaster for a laugh.

@scorphonic
petshoponline don't actually do the modules I'm looking for just the backgrounds.

Thanks lads,

Mark

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 01:44 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@Chris,

I made my own background and I think the 'how to' posted in the DIY section. Unfortunately I don't have broadband at home yet and to upload the pictures on dial up would take ages. In hindsight I would have done it slightly different in that I would have cut openings for boogwood so that I could have siliconed the bogwood directly onto the back of the tank and it would have look more like roots coming out of the background. But hindsight is alwys 20/20 vision...
The only real big advantge that back to nature backgrounds have is that they are made from foam and hence water can pass through it. You can incorporate a foam filter behind the background which isn't possible with a sytrofoam background. However, I don't think they are worth the inflated price tag. Not by a long shot.

@zale,
nothing in fishkeeping makes you completely happy, ever. Believe me I am doing this for more than 30 years now and not a week goes by when I don't tinker with some tank. :D

More
18 Apr 2007 10:05 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
We stock back to nature what module are you looking for?

More
20 Apr 2007 06:52 #9 by zale (Mark carroll)
Theres 14 modul as far as I know Module A - Module U

Can you PM or post a price for all, as I would have to play around & rearrange a few to see what fits best.

Mark

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 06:56 #10 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Back To Nature, Backgrounds
Holger if you resize your pics in Paint and save them as JPEGS they will be about ~25Kb,taking around 3-4 minutes max per picture on Dial Up.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 07:16 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Thanks Chris, will try. Not really the computer genius though. So, essentially I save the picture on my harddrive as a jpeg and thank load them up to photobucket or any such site. So far so good. But how do you resize the pictures? Sorry, but a bit computer ignorant.

Holger

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds