Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Carnivorous Plants and Aquaria

More
26 Feb 2012 14:01 #1 by kilyth (De Burke)
I don't know quite where to put this thread, so I'm putting it here.

I'm going to do a major overhaul of my BiUbe in the next couple of months - removing the airline driven filter, changing the ceramic media at the bottom for gravel, and generally making it more user-friendly.

During my ponderings of scaping I was hit by the realisation that I could get a semi-circular mesh basket, hang it in the top of the tank, fill it with soil and plant some bog plants in there - specifically carnivorous plants (because they look so cool).

Has anyone done something like this before? I'd be very grateful for any tips or advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2012 14:41 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I've done this with bog-plants (and some are what are sold everyday as 'aquatic plants') and orchids.

Many of the carnivorous plants would be fine during their vegetative growth stage, but many also need a cooler than tropical semi-dry rest.

For orchids, some are quite happy to be in a boggy situation whilst most others would prefer to have their roots tipping off the 'soil'. They will adapt their roots if need be to drive into the 'soil'....you can't force them in else that'll rot and rot the plant.

Orchids such as Ludisia discolor are good for semi-aquatic planting and will take the lower lighting levels.

Some groups of Cryptocoryne will also do nicely in a bog and will even flower (flowers are very nice and intriguing).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
26 Feb 2012 16:02 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
what carniverous plants are ye thinking of?? love sarracenia myself but you could possibly plant something on them lines (or vft) in sphagnum moss in a hatcher or something that will fix/hang on the top of the tank during the growing season and remove it for the dormant season. they will need lots of light though to look their best but there are some stunning variety's available :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2012 16:46 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Carnivorous Plants and Aquaria
When planting up be mindful that all carniverous Plants depend on Insects for nutrition, they will die slowly if there is too much fertiliser in the planting medium.

Kev.

More
26 Feb 2012 18:14 #5 by kilyth (De Burke)

what carniverous plants are ye thinking of?? love sarracenia myself but you could possibly plant something on them lines (or vft) in sphagnum moss in a hatcher or something that will fix/hang on the top of the tank during the growing season and remove it for the dormant season. they will need lots of light though to look their best but there are some stunning variety's available :)

I do like those, but was thinking more along the lines of some small nepenthes.

More
27 Feb 2012 14:50 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
a nice choice, had some in the past myself, some grow quite big too. they need the conditions to be better than the rest though so bear that in mind.

kev is right that they get neutrients from insects, some insects like ants are useless to them, but they don't need insects! sunlight is more important and witout it they won't thrive; just keep neps in indirect sunlight.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
27 Feb 2012 16:00 #7 by kilyth (De Burke)
I'll probably wind up with a mix of species, which is good.

Really looking forward to getting this done now. I just have to wait for my new filter to arrive.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2012 16:14 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Carnivorous Plants and Aquaria
I use this company when importing exotics, you will need to get a Phyto sanitary certificate but this is one of the best Mail order Companies to deal with.

www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=phyto+san...rHCoJDRAvYXnfZhjzdnA

www.plantdelights.com/searchprods.asp

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds