Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Substrate Change

More
12 Jul 2012 17:57 #1 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Looking to change the substrate from a black coarse type to a fine coral for my
cichlids.How can i go about this without causing to much disruption to the tank
but mostly to the well being of the fish.Any sugestions would be appreciated..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 20:02 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
you could siphon it out with a large gauge hose that would be big enough not to get clogged with the gravel you have,even if you are doing weekly water changes take as much as you can out in one sitting and after a while it would be gone.hope this helps.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
13 Jul 2012 19:27 #3 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Re: Substrate Change
I did that a few weeks ago. I put the fish and all water in a large bin with the filter running there, changed the substrate, planted and the next day the fish and most of the water went back in. No fatalities since then in the tank.

More
13 Jul 2012 19:43 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)
if you want to put substrate into the tank i'd make sure its well soaked 1st (if its porus), stick a 2" pipe into the tank to the bottom and pour the substrate in through it as to cause very little disturbance

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Jul 2012 20:30 #5 by johnportman (John Clarke)
I did a substrate change a few months ago from coral gravel to coral sand.
I took the rock from 1 side of the tank out makin sure there was no fish hiding in the holes.
Then got a new dust pan with rubber front so it wouldn't scrap the glass and scooped it out.
Once I had one side done, I had the coral sand washed and put it back in on that side with a jug.
Just put the jug into the water easy, done that side of the tank with sand.
Then moved the rock from the other side over to the new sand and did the same on the other side.
Then put the rock back in and had no probs.

John

More
14 Jul 2012 10:58 #6 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Sounds like a a good plan.Thanks for all the ideas folks....

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds