Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Long time away

More
15 Jul 2012 17:49 #1 by theangryman (chris)
Hello Everyone

Just gone away for work again and have found out I have to stay for 9 weeks instead of the usual 4 :ohmy:
This is a long time to be away from my tanks, keeping in touch with the family over the net and as far as water changes goes the kids should be able to manage with some help from the chief, but not sure about the cleaning of the external filters, one good thing is it might get the kids a bit more interested in the hobby. Anybody have any advise, whats the longest you`ve had to leave your tanks for ?

Will be checking in a lot for the next few weeks :laugh:

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2012 18:20 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Long time away
I hear you, you'd be better off getting on to Skype and doing it live so to speak, That way you can watch what is being done and you'll instill confidence in them in what they are doing. Get one to hold a laptop, if possible, pointed at the Tank and watch the work as it happens, it could also be fun for them too.

Kev.

More
15 Jul 2012 19:27 #3 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Re: Long time away
I'm sure the filters would be OK for 9 weeks and would not require any cleaning meantime if you just clean them yourself before leaving.

Instead of stressing your family over the filters, I would insist in getting the right amount of food in the tank as that's the weak spot for many non-fish keepers, they have the impression that they feed to little (I've been in your situation and am speaking from experience). That way, the filters would have an easier job to do as well and will take longer between cleanings.

More
16 Jul 2012 11:09 #4 by theangryman (chris)
Yea will try the skype idea, the internet is more than a bit slow out here is the problem,
Will keep an eye on the filters, I have a flow indicator on the output side so as long as the flow is still good they can be left in peace, as for the feeding, the clan are used to me being away so not too worried about overfeeding they`ve done well upto now (unless theres a quick trip to the petshop for new fish the day before I come home), not being bad but I just prefer doing it myself...... ;) will just have to wait and see, was lookin forward to seeing how my first go at a planted tank would look after the month will just have to wait a bit longer i suppose

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
16 Jul 2012 19:53 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i am sure that with controlled feeding things will be fine!

It might be worth considering adding a second smaller filter. it will give you peace of mind on two counts.
first it will reduce the load on the external but more importantly it will carry on working if your main filter breaks, reducing your stress while keeping your pets in a clean friendly tank. and this could be the best time to add it.
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
17 Jul 2012 15:38 #6 by theangryman (chris)
Good idea Mickey, I actually have a spare external filter in the shed that I was going to put into my 350l before I went but I got called back to work early, will keep an eye on the system and if it needs to be put in I will walk them through it, as has been said the feeding is the most important part but on that I feel happy it will be ok..............I hope

Tom Araya

All my...

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds