Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Endi bircer not growing

More
17 Jul 2012 16:22 #1 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Hello have an issue? Have three Birchers two senagals and one endi .endi seems to be last to the food all the time and the two senagals are now three times as big,am feeding at night as endi is more of a nocturnal bircer but still the other two eat everything feeding with blood worm and lance fish I now over feed so endi gets some food but senagals eat twice as much then and grow even bigger.anyone any ideas cheers derek

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2012 19:10 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Endi bircer not growing
All I can think of is to feed the two gluttons and feed the smaller one via a pair of tongs.

Kev.

More
17 Jul 2012 20:12 #3 by dubdero (derek kearns)
I try that or separate them somehow when feeding cheers

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2012 20:15 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Endi bircer not growing
No worries, try a Turky Baster too, it's a great way of getting food directly to the slower Fish.

Kev.

More
17 Jul 2012 20:49 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Kev is dead right best way is to target feed mate get the food right down at them

Also a great variety diet is best

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
17 Jul 2012 20:53 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
What size are the specimens?

If they are all about the same size then the Endlicheri is by far the smallest ie still a tiny baby by comparison.

Does the endlicheri have external gills visible or not?

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Jul 2012 00:18 #7 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Thanks for reply lads all were around 1 and a half inches when bought together from av,one senagals common about seven inches albino around five and enrici two and a half inches I can see to gills on enrici seem to use them to move around on substrate I have them about five and a half months. Anyone reckon earthworms or chicken? To add to diet

More
18 Jul 2012 19:15 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Thanks for reply lads all were around 1 and a half inches when bought together from av,one senagals common about seven inches albino around five and enrici two and a half inches I can see to gills on enrici seem to use them to move around on substrate I have them about five and a half months. Anyone reckon earthworms or chicken? To add to diet

At all being 1.5 inches, the endlicheri was probably way too small. Being a four foot fish, if it is the same size of other species then it is very very small by comparison.

It may also tend to more committed to feeding nearer night-time.

Being effectively still a baby, the endlicheri would not be as good as getting the food and would be poised for expecting food to come to it as opposed to developing dedicated hunter attributes.

I do not recommend earthworms or chicken.

The earthworms may be too big and need to be cleansed.
The chicken should never be given to these fish.

Keep lights off before and during feeding. Feed well defrosted frozen food such as bloodworm. See if the fish take that, if not them try frozen brine shrimp.

Really, bichirs will take good quality dried sinking food (eg discus pellets).

Make sure, though, that no food is getting left under wood etc as the bichir may stumble across it and eat it (the food being likely to be toxic).

Maybe you should think about isolating the endlicheri.

When it does start to grow.....you will soon start to notice accelerated growth.

ian

More
18 Jul 2012 23:38 #9 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Well thongs don't work as endi afraid so turkey brasher ruled out as well.i try pellets tomorrow fed five minitues ago two blister of blood worms and some lance fish usually not that much I'd give ,and 95 percent went to the two greedy f....n senagals if pellets don't work I go isolation route cheers igmillchip .ps made sure everything was thawed tonight usual let it thaw in tank didn't think it matterd but will thaw in future.

More
25 Jul 2012 22:58 #10 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Getting his grub now feeding Sinking pellets at the same time as bloodworm he's getting his little bit .

More
25 Jul 2012 23:09 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That's good news then.

Now, watch that head of his broaden as he starts to grow.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds