Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Tank layout, what fish type would you add ?

More
12 Aug 2012 08:51 #1 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Hi,
Having changed my tank layout to the below I'm now looking for suggestions for what fish to add to the tank, all along I'd planned on adding quite a large group of shoaling fish such as tetras. It's a Vision 180

I'm happy to clear out some of the current fish in favour of suggestions of what you would choose.
Tank has:
1x Glowlight danio
3x Glowlight Tetra
3x Cardinal Tetra
3x Siamese algae eaters
1x Bristlenose catfish
2x Rasbora

Cheers,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2012 12:44 #2 by JohnH (John)
Dave,
Tank looks well, for what it's worth I think you are right to choose to have some shoals of fish.
Personally I would think a large shoal of something like the Harlequins along with a shoal of either Rummy-noses, Cardinals (or Neons). This would deal with the middle of the tank area, next step would be a shoal of Corydoras catfish - I like to see a shoal of all one species such as C. Panda or Adolfoi. For surface-dwellers you wouldn't go far wrong with a few Hatchet fish.
That's one suggestion to get the ball rolling - perhaps other Forum members could add their words of wisdom?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2012 13:25 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic New Tank layout, what fish type would you add ?
Why not be a bit rad here and go for a very much under used Shoaling Fish, Nannostomus, Beckfords is one of the hardiest but the others, with a little attention paid to Water quality and Ph will reward you with beautiful colour and interesting behaviour.

www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesL...hp?genus=Nannostomus

Kev.

More
12 Aug 2012 13:44 #4 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Thank for the ideas John, certainly Harlequins with the Tetra is a very smart starting point and I've never gone for Corys before. What would you pick numbers wise if you were doing your suggestion in your own tank ?

More
12 Aug 2012 14:35 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Think John as nailed it on the head who do the same meself

As corys go i never had a tank with them and the last fresh water tank i had a group off about 30 off them and they where great so i would add a group off them

Also what would be great idea as with the group off Shoaling Fish and corys would be a nice pair as a center piece something like a nice pair off angels or some different

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
12 Aug 2012 17:58 - 12 Aug 2012 17:59 #6 by jwm (sean sean)
Tiger barbs are a fantastic addition to any tank, 12-15 barbs you would have a very busy tank and they do not bother any other occupants when they are in a big shoal. I had them in my tank for years with cardinals danio's and odessa barbs. All lovely fish and all very busy in there own right

john

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2012 17:59 by jwm (sean sean).

More
12 Aug 2012 19:59 #7 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
you could add a shoal of dawn tetras, my favorite tetra at the min!! when the blue stripe comes through they look fantastic.

More
12 Aug 2012 20:56 #8 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Have never seen the Dawn Tetras before Wayne, so a wee bit of Googling showing reports of them being bullies even when kept in large shoals so maybe I'll avoid.
Going on JohnH helpful pointer and backed up by Sean looks as if I'll be adding about 7 Dwarf Corydoras (I like the Hastatus best followed by the Pygmaeus should I find them or get Seahorse to locate them!!). After that was going for a 15 plus shoal of cardinals but another new tetra to me the Flame Tetra is a very attractive option.

More
12 Aug 2012 21:24 #9 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
really? i haven't had any problems at all with mine, as for the flame tetras, they're a beautiful little fish had some myself a while back. whatever you decide on make sure you give us plenty of pics ;)

p.s the tank looks great, glad you got sorted with the wood looks the business.

wayne

More
12 Aug 2012 22:14 #10 by ck1 (chris)
if you havnt kept rummy nose tetra before i would recommend them very nice fish and really good to watch.10 rummy nose and 10 cardinals would look nice along with some corys and maybe something like a honey gourmai and a group of ottos

More
12 Aug 2012 22:57 #11 by dubdero (derek kearns)
I'd have an Asian theme harlequins 12 Torpedo barbs 3 zebra loaches 5 .

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2012 04:19 - 13 Aug 2012 04:22 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic New Tank layout, what fish type would you add ?
Heed this advice..................BEWARE OF NEON TETRA DISEASE it will destroy everything you have if you do not quarantine.....Rummies are renowned for it and will die at an incredible rate even if they look clean as a whistle when you buy them

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 04:22 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
13 Aug 2012 07:58 #13 by Helen P (Helen Prout)
Hi,

just adding my tuppence worth, along with the shoaling fish, definitely consider (as a few others have suggested) some centre-piece fish.

My personal favourite at the moment is the Dwarf Gourami, they are tough little cookies, not easily bullied by other fish - yet, still seem to get on with everything.

Helen

More
13 Aug 2012 10:04 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok what would i do with your tank ..... fill it with fish ;)
i like kev love Nannostomus Beckfordi a great shoaling fish with really interesting colouration and habits, you could go for a shoal of threadfin rainbows as well another stunning fish when kept right, like Johnh has suggested a shoal of hatchetfish looks great floating under the surface but add floating plants to make them feel more comfortable and beware they are jumpers so keep the lid on, as for the substrate layer hmmm i love golden bristlenoses, or alternatively a nice sized shoal of corys (pandas or sterbae) but a big shoal of cory hastatus is fantastic to watch i think they shoal better than any other cory i've ever kept and the dont just stay around the substrate layer the also shoal in mid and top levels especially if you have nice bushy plants for them to swim through... another option is the oto affinis, but if you can get your hands on the zebra oto they are superb only seen them once and I WANT SOME...
These are my suggestions hope it helps and dosent confuse the issue lol but it will
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
16 Aug 2012 19:15 #15 by davet (Dave Treacy)
New fishes have been added as per suggestions from Helen P, Sean & John H so thanks.
Introduced are
2x Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
10x Pygmy Corys
10x Cardinal Tetras

Removed was a very large crayfish which impressed the staff in Seahorse when I dropped him off only 6 months in my tank was already the size of my hand

Dave
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds