Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

A Question....

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2012 14:32 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
A Question.... was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Is keeping Aquaria more suitable for single People? How much grief or support do you get from your other half?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2012 14:51 #2 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Replied by ghart (Greg Hart) on topic A Question....
Fortunately my wife likes aquaria and has her won favourite fish (krebensis) :)
We have a five foot tank in the sitting room which makes a great display.
She knew me from when I lived in me Ma's in Crumlin and had a six foot tank build by Trop Shop at the time.
She is not keen on me keeping fish food in the fridge freezer or cleaning tank contents at the kitchen sink.
But all in all I have it easy.
Now if i were to suggest that I am setting a few more tanks up such as the number I've heard you have Kev I would not be married for long :laugh:

Greg

More
07 Sep 2012 15:06 #3 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I would think so,I get so much grief from the other half,you know how it is,rearranging water scapes,testing,water changing,not to mention when you get new fish i like to keep an eye on how they settle in,she's always at me cause I have me head stuck in a tank,but as I say some people play around or are out drinking,my guilty pleasure is my fish tanks,she usually comes around when I put it into perspective

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
07 Sep 2012 16:33 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Shouldn't the title be "a dangerous question" :)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2012 16:47 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic A Question....

Not if she isn't a memberof the Forum :P

Kev.

More
07 Sep 2012 16:50 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The answers to which may be even more dangerous if the other-half reads it. :)

It's a good question. Many fish keepers do have 'other-half' issues.

As for me....I'm eating a Crunchie and have the Argos catalogue open on the 'expensive jewellery' page right now, so I won't reply just yet.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
07 Sep 2012 16:51 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Not if she isn't a memberof the Forum :P

Kev.

You beat to hitting the send button. :)

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2012 16:54 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic A Question....
I get dreadful grief over it..

Ever since I put an open top tank in one of the bedrooms with a few guppies in it.
Assured her they wouldn't jump out only for her to find dried up guppies in the bed :)

Feck it, every good team needs a certain level of conflict and I'm just doing my bit to keep it balanced. Another night of plans ruined because of a leaking tetratec might just tip her over the edge though....

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2012 16:55 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)

The answers to which may be even more dangerous if the other-half reads it. :)

It's a good question. Many fish keepers do have 'other-half' issues.

As for me....I'm eating a Crunchie and have the Argos catalogue open on the 'expensive jewellery' page right now, so I won't reply just yet.

Love it!!

Kev.

More
07 Sep 2012 16:55 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i can happily say my other half also loves the hobby, although not as much as i do but i know that makes me fortunate so i don't push it :lol: , we just clash when it comes to what goes inside the tank because she likes ornaments and i don't. she just doesn't do the maintenance side of it but even when i sugested turning the spare room into a fishroom she was all for it... needless to say it was full before she had a chance to change her mind :lol: .... nor does she like to spend as much time as me in lfs so i usualy get to go on my own :cool:

in saying that our 5y/o son is the fishy helper and is known to enjoy getting his hands wet in certain shops when he's allowed B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
07 Sep 2012 17:15 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I've ate my crunchie, and my OH is not coming home yet (so I'll pose with the open Argos pages just as her car pulls up).

In some respects, fish keeping is ideal for someone without a partner or friends. In some ways, the fish may even be better company: they'll never cheat on you, scam your money, tell everyone your socks stink...and the rest, and are much much more interest than many partners or friends could be.

My OH is a fish keeper, but even then things become issues.

We were in a LFS one day, and I bought a killifish:

"Oh My God......where on earth are you going to find space to put that?"

was the question from my OH as she was clutching her new Arowana in a bag.

I won't even mention the fact that (until a recent change around) she had 3 tanks full of red hook pacu.

Yep....the rules change depending on if it is YOU buying the fish.

ian

More
07 Sep 2012 19:34 #12 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic A Question....
have a customer with a fish house.a gigantic fish house.No tanks in it. All massive tropical ponds with some of the largest fresh waters swimming around,he's keeping fish for 40 years so a propper old hand..isn't in the clubs or forums and keeps himself to himself.His wife came into the shop one day with him and I asked her does he drive her mad with the hobby/ money. and her answer was thus : "sure he's down in the shed all day and if I want anything done I know where to get him..he could be doing worse things like drinking or betting or gallavanting so I'm happy..it's a harmless hobby that keeps him at home..thank god he's not into golf."true story.

dont make me come over there.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2012 19:38 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Re: Gav,

Ask if he has any Daughters because that woman is a Gem.

Kev.

More
07 Sep 2012 20:21 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
once i keep my fish in the fish house i'm fine, the O/H hates them in the house, something to do with the sound of running water ;) she dosent mind the hobby as long as it dosent interfer with HER HOUSE, hence my fish house ;) but all in all i got a good un even if i under state the price of my fish purchases to keep the peace

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
07 Sep 2012 22:06 - 07 Sep 2012 22:07 #15 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic A Question....
My OH just gives out when I get water all over the floor when doing my water changes, complains when I'm at the sink all the time, is not happy when I'm at the dinning table trying to tie plants to my bog wood with a needle and thread, gets annoyed when she realises I'm staring at my tank when shes watching telly....I just need to persuade her to let me get that new 6ft tank and I've never been happier.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 22:07 by Mike53 (Michael).

More
07 Sep 2012 23:54 #16 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Ah not sure, but my gf loves my tank but she does not live here so not sure it counts she did buy me a voucher for my lfs for my bday. May all change! although we could be at a lot worse than obsessing over fish plants etc! :crazy:

More
08 Sep 2012 00:25 #17 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'm wondering what some of the lady fish-keepers have to say.

More
08 Sep 2012 01:06 #18 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
as an add on to my earlier post, no its not suitable for single people as if i was single it would be a house of aquariums and nothing else ;)

More
08 Sep 2012 18:18 #19 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Replied by Pat (Pat Coogan) on topic A Question....
My Oh hates the fish tank until I pick up the remote control just before the soaps start to look for some obscure sport to watch. Then its the tank needs this and the tank needs that.

I wont tell you what I had to do to get my 3 foot tank to start with but two kids is enough for anyone I suppose.

I am working on getting a 6 foot tank and she has been heard in public with witnesses saying I can get it once she gets her sun-room.
What she doesn't know is that one of the walls of the sun-room will be the tank.
Saving like mad :crazy:

More
27 Sep 2012 23:02 #20 by dubdero (derek kearns)
My misses thinks I pay more attention to the fish than her.And when I change the water on Fridays the same comment I get all the time,I quote "would it not answer you better to clean the house instead" this never fails.

More
27 Sep 2012 23:21 #21 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Have to say I'm blessed with a very understanding missus. I only took up the hobby since I knew her, but she knows how much it means to me and has become quite attached to some of my fish, particularly since they started taking food from her hand. We are moving into a place together in 3 weeks and she didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned I would like an apartment with a second bedroom for the fish tanks!...

...well, she kinda batted an eyelid until I mentioned that she could have the whole walk-in wardrobe to herself and I would keep my stuff in the fishroom! :laugh: Still, she's great about the hobby.

LoB

More
27 Sep 2012 23:26 #22 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Having failed to prevent me accessing the forum my missus is swotting up on her hacking skills to remove the for sale section :lol:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2012 23:46 - 27 Sep 2012 23:47 #23 by stretnik (stretnik)
You might not be too far from the truth, how do we know that they haven't become stalkers with pseudonoms just to be one step ahead of your plans????....

Kev.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2012 23:47 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
28 Sep 2012 09:00 #24 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic A Question....
Myself and my wife started the hobby together getting a 60 litre tank.

Of course it went on from here. The 300 litre tank in the sitting room was ok cos i convinced her the fish needed it but got a lot of grief when i put a 550 litre tank in her kitchen but now she's used to it.

She didn't like the piranha's at all either cos she said they just followed her around giving her dirty looks :)

I think it nice to share the hobby with someone as well.

She's as much into as me at this stage and loves her bala's and have given the fish some questionable names like fanta, pete, jack and william.

Handy to have someone else to feed the fish as well if you're in the pub :)

More
28 Sep 2012 10:12 #25 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hold onto her Ski, mine wont touch fish food as it "stinks", and this is from the woman who has made some foul concoctions when trying different diets, even though she dosen't need it go figure, actually dont, i've given up trying to figure out women they're a conumdrum, wrapped in a paradox, wrapped in an enigma packaged in a pandoras box.

More
28 Sep 2012 10:25 #26 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic A Question....
Ha ha will do

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds