Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Customer service

• ciaran (ciaran)
  • ciaran (ciaran)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2005 03:40 #1 by ciaran (ciaran)
Customer service was created by ciaran (ciaran)
Hi,
Just had some really bad customer service and I wanted to let others know so I went looking for an Irish forum and here I am. I have been keeping fish for years and have a few tanks. While on holidays I bought an Aqual El aquarium - one of the big round ones - more for the novelty value than anything else. I got it from from a supplier in County Kilkenny - you probably know who I mean. Anyway I stupidly didn't connect the powerhead up right after some maintenance and with the hot weather the water level dropped and it burned out. I live in Dublin and travelling back down there would be awkward so I rang the shop explaining my predicament and asking for a replacement to be sent to me by post, offering to pay for it and the postage of course. I was speaking for the manager and I was stunned at the answer I got: "it's against company policy", There was nothing she could do I would have to call in. I expalined again that I lived over a hundred miles away but no go....
Anyway if you were thinking of buying something from this company then maybe you should think about their customer service first.
:x

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2005 16:57 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Its a cardinal sin to let powerheads run dry, if they do, they WILL burn out, of course. It isnt their responcibility to make sure you turn off electrical appliances during maintanince.

As a matter of fact their warranty does not cover accidents other than accidents due to a manufactural fault, not user error. So perhaps they are right. Unless of course I read the post wrong.

Im off to Kilkenny myself tomorrow in search of a 100gallon tank.

Wish me luck.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
19 Jul 2005 15:06 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have been their before and asked for something that was out of stock.
I was also told they do not post, even though i had the cash on me in the shop at the time.
May be you should just order it off a local shop as the chances are Kilkenny would also have to order it for you.

Hay Dave, did you get the tank? Was it a complete tank (hood, lights e.c.t) you were after or just a glass tank.
Sometimes my arm can be twisted to make tanks for people.

More
20 Jul 2005 13:59 #4 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Damn, I was even thinking of getting a custom tank made, but it would have been too expensive.

I did, in the end, get a 150x50x50cm, 375ltr tank complete with stand, hood and lights, for a reasonable price. Seemed alright to me, although the stock was a little basic I did pick up some Red Zebra :D

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
20 Jul 2005 15:37 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hay Dave i'm sure your 5' tank looks sweet, especilly with the extra hight.
What makes custum tanks expensive is the glass, or should i say the hight you want the glass (the higher the thicker the glass needs to be).
I priced the glass for a LARGE tank recently and it was over 1,000e for the glass, and that was cutting all the corners i could.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 13:23 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Customer service
I was in Kilkenny one day meeting a friend and I decided to drop into the aquatic shop. I seen some nice Syno`s that I wanted and I asked the girl to fish them out.
It was then that I noticed that some fo the fish in the tank had white spot.
I said to the girl that the other fish had w/s and that I did not want the catfish. She turned to me and said" but he does not have it" What a plonker. I know w/s is easily treated but who wants to go the bother of that.
Raise the temp to 30c and it will die, but some fish can`t tolerate that temp for too long.

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 16:50 #7 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: Customer service
The problem IMO in this country is that most LFS's ignore the fact that in this day and age Quarantine is a must have facility.

Best Regards.............Tony

• bubby (bubby)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2006 10:01 #8 by bubby (bubby)
Replied by bubby (bubby) on topic Re: Customer service
I know where you are talking about.
I rang them, and asked them to post pictures of the tanks on their website or to email a pic.

They wouldn't! So, they lost the sale.

Now own a Jewel Trigon 190 - very nice piece of kit

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2006 13:46 #9 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Customer service
That shop in Kilkenny says on their website that its a shop fish keepers should visit at least once a year, I went there and was unimpressed and wouldnt be mad to go back, maybe i just got them on a bad day but after hearing about their "customer service" I don't know if i'd bother! I think customer service in fish shops is really important as if you get bad service and the assistants really dont know what they are talking about you just cant trust their live stock, their prices or anything else about the place. Maybe as part of the website additions there could be a list of reputable shops where the service and quality of stock is good.
G

More
07 Sep 2006 08:01 #10 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I was there last weekend. They had a poor stock of fish and equipment, especially considing the size of their premises which is as big as Brittas.

I was also unimpressed with their choice of tanks. They have something that looks like Juwel rip offs. The prices are good, but I would worry about quality.

I won't be rushing back.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2006 08:14 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Customer service
I was in Kinsealy today and they got a great selection of Peacocks in today.
Jacobfreibergi, Stuartgranti(yellow sided) Protemelas Steveni, and some cool OB`s among others.

If your into Centrals they have some nice Black belt cichllids.
Cichlisomma Maculicada is the latin name I think. Stunning when they are older.

• boroughmal (boroughmal)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Oct 2006 14:02 #12 by boroughmal (boroughmal)
Replied by boroughmal (boroughmal) on topic try here
service A1 discount lasts untill 12 tonight
sell real juwel & jinlong
www.pet-bliss.com

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds