Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Snails

More
27 Jun 2006 01:50 #1 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hi all,
1/ I have noticed some very very small snails on my carbon sponge over the last few weeks.I never had snails so I presume they hitched a ride with a fish or plant.
They are not out in the tank itself,as far as I can see, but should I be concerned ?
2/ The tank goes cloudy for about 24 hours after a 10% water change Again no apparent problems so I'm not too bothered - is this OK?

Thanks
Processor.
PS. I've had a very healthy tank since acting on the advice from the forum. Thanks to all especially Monty.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2006 02:39 #2 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Snails
Ah snails, problem is that they can reproduce like rabbits and overrun a tank if not kept in check. Probably came in on plants or in water with a new fish..... There are a number of ways to keep them in check or get rid of them
1. Chemical - you can buy specific remedies for killing snails - don't like to use such things myself unless absolutely necessary - wouldn't recommend it but mention it to cover all bases
2. Trap them - place some cucumber in the tank and the snails will gather around this at night and you can physically remove them.
3. Fish that like snails for dinner - my favourite in this regard is the clown loach - loves snails. After introduction of them into my 1st tank where I had snails I never saw a snail (except for an empty shell) after a few days..

You mention they are in the filter - carbon sponge - well since I know you are running an external as well as the internal for starters clean the internal out - change the carbon sponge and rinse one of the top blue and one of the bottom blue sponges in tank water. For the other sponges check and remove snails that you see. Be sure not to rinse out all sponges as you don't want to remove all bacteria buildup. Then keep an eye on it... No need to panic unless they do start to overrun - which by the way can be an indicator that you are overfeeding as there is enough left for the snails...

Cloudy tank - hmm, depends.... Are you vacuuming the gravel when doing a water change ? If not then when you are putting water in then you may simply be disturbing the particles built up in the gravel and they take some time to be filtered or drop to the bottom again. Try when puuting the water in to pour slowly and not disturb the gravel and see if that makes a difference. Obviously check all water parameters - maybe before water change and on the water to be used in the change to check there are no nasty's. I know you have the tank running approx 6 months now so any dust that would have been left on the gravel should have worked it's way out..

And wrt to the 'Thanks to all especially Monty' - more than happy to help. Sure most of the problems you have had, we've all had an some time and what you're getting is largely based on experience (and some of it painful)....

Monty

More
28 Jun 2006 03:02 #3 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Well I presume then that any snails that do get out from the filter into the tank itself are taken care of by the Loach - clever fellas.
As for the clouding I have sand not gravel so it makes sense that it is getting disturbed at change time. I always end up pouring the last 3 or 4 litres of new water in directly as opposed to the rest which is pumped in.

Your a great help
Thanks Monty.

• Tumblina (Tumblina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2006 15:28 #4 by Tumblina (Tumblina)
Replied by Tumblina (Tumblina) on topic Re: Snails
My Zebra loaches do a real good job of keeping snails in check as well

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2007 10:52 #5 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: Snails
Hi all ,

I have some small snails , don't fancy nukeing them with chemicals , quiet fancy the opportunity to add another fish or two , but I have read that Clown Loaches will eat plants + are Ich prone and some sites say that Zebra Loaches are fin nippers .
Should I take a chance with one of these , what is the minimum no. for a happy group ? Are there other possibilities ?
If push comes to shove , I could pick the snails out , or squash them!

pjq
180l 3platy 3danio 4guppy 2neon 1albino shark 2 molly 4 pristella tetra

More
10 Feb 2007 11:15 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Replied by serratus (Drew Latimer) on topic Re: Snails
All loach species are prone to ich. Zebra loach, (if you mean striata) are nippy, as alot of loach are, mostly towards angels, gouramis etc. slow moving sp. annoying them esp. at feeding times! your guppys might get harrassed by zebra loach, clowns would be better imo, make sure you get plump specimens, buy a group of 6 or so and look out for whitespot!!!!! give them plenty of places to hide and they should be fine but no hollow ornaments as they usually get stuck with their spines under the eyes!!!!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2007 11:22 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Snails
Puffer fish are very good at getting rid of your snail problem. Don't know about loaches but heard conflicting reports.
Your cloudy water is down to fine sand particles, I think. Nothing to woory about

More
10 Feb 2007 12:25 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
true, but nearly all are fin nippers, so if you use them be careful!!!! could try pygmy puffers, can be hit or miss, but keep them well fed or they will nip!!!!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2007 14:18 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Snails
Scobiansistrus also feed on snails. Don't know about availiblity though

More
10 Feb 2007 21:14 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
scobiancistrus aureatus??? did nt know about feeding on snails, but they do eat prawns n other meat stuff, so i suppose!!!
if you want them p.m, me!!!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 02:57 #11 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Snails
When pouring wtaer into the tank put your hand in the water flat and pour the water onto your hand, very effective.

If you have a Large Jewel tank they have this handy cross member thing that I pour onto.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 08:02 #12 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: Snails
Seratus,
Thanks for the offer but I wont make it to Wicklow , but scobiancistrus aureatus would quickly outgrow the tank ?( from what I've read). Are they expensive ? and more importantly easy to care for ( I'm a beginner) . I suppose that I'm asking for the impossible , a fish that mangles little snails but is kind to plants and guppy tails. Any candidates on this list www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4742/snail_faq.html .

To cut to the chase , I decided to chance the Clown Loaches but brought my 3 yr nephew .... the Lady at the LFS talked me out of the nipping Loaches and the 3 yr old talked me into 2 dwarf frogs and a "glass kissing" Plec. I realise that my will power is not going to fix the snails !
pjq

More
12 Feb 2007 10:32 #13 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
They are one of the hardiest Lnos, but can get 14+" Easier to get sub adults/adults than juvs usually about €50-€80 for sub adults €250-€350 for XL adults stunning plec when HUGE-14+"!!!!!!!!!

More
13 Feb 2007 02:54 #14 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
In my opinion you won't go wrong with the clown loach and they'd fit in well with your tank.

I got them on Monty's advice and as soon as they were in the snails dissappeared. Still some to be found in the filter but that's no problem plus they are full of character and great fun to watch especially when you see their sleeping arrangements. I have one couple who must be married they only sleep together and during the day one (preumably the female - sorry ladies) spends the rest of the day pushing and nudging the other around.

As for being nippers maybe they are supposed to be but never had that problem with any of mine.....As Serratus says 'fish don't read books' .

Processor.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds