Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

You know you're a fishkeeper when...

More
13 Mar 2015 21:53 #31 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
... when every once in a while you're standing there looking at your your 5 tanks thinking to yourself "Holy s#!t I love fishkeeping!" :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2015 22:04 #32 by Ski (Alan McGee)
You like doing your water changes and having a few cans on a Friday night!! That might be just sad though :)

More
13 Mar 2015 22:38 #33 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

You like doing your water changes and having a few cans on a Friday night!! That might be just sad though :)

Just because it's sad doesn't make it any less true :lol:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Mar 2015 23:18 #34 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
..........your wife says "It's me or the fish".................and you say "Funny..........My previous 5 wives said that..."

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
13 Mar 2015 23:48 #35 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

..........your wife says "It's me or the fish".................and you say "Funny..........My previous 5 wives said that..."

Or "how long do I have to think about it?"

More
14 Mar 2015 00:29 #36 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo:

More
14 Mar 2015 08:39 - 14 Mar 2015 08:39 #37 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

when your wife complains and says that you spend more time at the fish tanks than with me :blush:

When your in the area of a pet store you cant help but go in for a look and try your best not to buy something. I never get out empty handed :crazy:
Last edit: 14 Mar 2015 08:39 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
14 Mar 2015 11:56 #38 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
You have more tanks and tank accessories around than you do seats for people to sit on

More
14 Mar 2015 17:57 #39 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
When you don't have enough at the checkout but still manage to get the cucumber, beefheart and shrimp through while putting back the chicken for the dinner.
Or your say "we don't have enough for all this stuff", but still go into the pet shop on the way out and come out with something.

More
16 Mar 2015 01:12 #40 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
When u log on to the internet on the phone, you get a machine gun noise, as your 52 aquarium websites come on line with messages for you

More
16 Mar 2015 14:50 #41 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
When your missus comes home from work and finds you "boiling rocks you found at Giants causeway to put in your Aqarium in her favourite pot and goes mental at you" :/

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
16 Mar 2015 17:28 - 16 Mar 2015 17:28 #42 by baan (Fintan Breen)
while having a conversation you suddenly realise you have no idea what they said, because you've been staring into a fish in the tank, wondering what they are doing / whether you could re-scape the tank / whether the fish or plant has gotten bigger recently / something else as appropriate!
Last edit: 16 Mar 2015 17:28 by baan (Fintan Breen).

More
17 Mar 2015 08:53 #43 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
when you sell up (twice) and come back for more.

More
22 Mar 2015 11:39 #44 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
When you hear you clean the glass on your tanks but wouldn't clean the glass on the windows

Something fishie going on here

More
25 Mar 2015 10:19 #45 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
you keep looking at a piece of furniture and wonder how big a tank that would hold, or if i put those two units side by side id get a bigger tank in there.....
Wonder can i convince her its a good idea and that "I will make money back when they start breeding" (no..... no i wont, but she wont know that)

More
25 Mar 2015 12:39 #46 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

you keep looking at a piece of furniture and wonder how big a tank that would hold, or if i put those two units side by side id get a bigger tank in there.....
Wonder can i convince her its a good idea and that "I will make money back when they start breeding" (no..... no i wont, but she wont know that)

My dad has a 4ftX6ft heavy table that I was seriously thinking of using as a stand for a huuuuge tank. Do we dream about big plans more than actually completing them?!

More
24 Aug 2015 14:41 #47 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
... when you have to give your daughter a crash course in feeding your fish when you go on holiday (the mudskippers' mealtime shenanigans I left out; she found that out for herself :evil: )

More
27 Oct 2015 22:04 #48 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
when your wiring looks like this :

Attachment IMG_5298.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_5299.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2015 22:07 #49 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ha! Yeah, when you get to the point that you need to label plugs, you're pretty far gone :laugh:

More
28 Oct 2015 02:20 #50 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Looks tidy I also have the labels lol

More
28 Oct 2015 11:58 #51 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
defo not tidy - looks like this now !

Attachment IMG_5532.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
28 Oct 2015 12:05 #52 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I need to do a rewiring job under all my tanks
They are a bit heck tic at the min

More
11 Jan 2016 15:19 #53 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
.. when you see a shelf organiser in Aldi and think "mini hydroponic filtration system!"

Attachments:

More
11 Jan 2016 23:58 #54 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Lol I think your loosing it I can't even look at a wooden pallet without thinking I could use the wood and make something diy for my smaller tanks

More
12 Jan 2016 08:26 #55 by robert (robert carter)
when you get withdrawal symtons because its a week since you brought any fish

More
12 Jan 2016 20:44 #56 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

.. when you see a shelf organiser in Aldi and think "mini hydroponic filtration system!"

Ok it is past time your family held an intervention ;)

More
12 Jan 2016 21:11 #57 by robert (robert carter)
ok iam calling the guys in the white van with the straight jackets.

More
13 Jan 2016 02:46 #58 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Ok it is past time your family held an intervention ;)

they're just glad this hobby keeps me out of their way :P

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds