Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stocking suggestions for a fluval 260

More
04 May 2015 23:00 - 04 May 2015 23:03 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Hi lads bought this tank last week and thought I had made my mind up on what I thought I was going to be putting into it.

I'm at a loss now as to what to put in my problem I love and want to keep every type of fish :crazy: I'm back in the hobbie a month and already on my second tank.

I'd love to keep wild discus again but with them being so delicate I don't think I would be able to find the time for all the water changes.

I love frontosa but don't think the tank is big enough for them.

Could stay inline with the African cichlids and go ‪with a colony of
tropheus

all suggestions and help are very welcome.
Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2015 23:03 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2015 23:13 #2 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
I've a 240 an all I've in it is juvenile dragon bloods,7-9 and a pair of breeding juwels.
Hopefully have a nice stock of small haps and peacocks in it soon.

More
05 May 2015 00:02 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
There is plenty of choice when it comes to cichlids, for tank of your size I go with a mubna they have great colours and don't grow to big another option is all male peacock for haps they grow quick so keep it in mind a upgrade will be needed to mix all three I have done so with 6ft over stocked tank.,if u have any questions fire away.

Something fishie going on here

More
05 May 2015 17:04 #4 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I've never kept mubna cichlids before a lot of colour indeed.
I like the idea of a breeding group or colony of the one species or even keep a tanganyikan community tank maybe descions descions :(

Anyone on here keeping wild discus

More
09 May 2015 11:03 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Ive a tank the same size as that one, and what ive done is a mixed community of fish, with tetras in the middle, and leopard danios up the top and 2 pairs of Rams down the bottom with Corys and a breeding pair of Bristlenose, Im never bored lookinjg at my tank either, theres always a load of color and movement , Honestly i too wanted to keep all types so thats why i went with a mix. Hopefully in the near future ill get a second large one and concentrate on plants, to which im still a massive novice. Just my opinion mate, Best of luck with the new setup ;)

Stephen

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
09 May 2015 12:56 #6 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I like this thread. It's giving me great suggestions for my new tank.
What are you putting in as aquascape? What's on the tank floor? Do you want plants?

More
10 May 2015 13:28 #7 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
You could always put in some captive bred discus as they do not require as many water changes (providing you look into how they have been bred). My LFS have discus that have been bred locally so they are used to the local water ph and hardness. I have mine for almost a year and bought them as juveniles, I do 2 x 20% water changes a week and they are in great health and have grown huge but this is more due to the beefheart I've made for them!

More
10 May 2015 13:38 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Hi lads thanks for getting back to me.

I was thinking of doing a wild discus bio type flooded forest lots of roots and a few plants I've had planted tanks before but the hole (science) into keeping plants has always being something I can't get my head around its a tall tank so so giant val s could work.

I like the idea of a mixed community tank discus tetras corys Rams maybe apistos.

To be honest I'm kinda addicted to wild discus just something about there colour that I just love I think there body shape differs from domestic tank bred discus.

I pm ed a guy here about holding me 5 discus he is selling for about a month so I can get things up to scratch in the tank.

The layout will be sand substrate with some river pebbles and a lot of roots and some bog wood and maybe a few plants thrown in but want to keep it as natural as possible.

More
10 May 2015 13:40 #9 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
If I could get my hands on some f1 discus I would probably be the happiest man on the planet

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds