Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ivy branch ready

More
06 May 2015 10:14 - 06 May 2015 10:40 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ok, so I've had this ivy branch drying out for nearly a year (it was cut well before that though) and I think it's now tank ready. I've cut it to size and stripped off all the bark. Now I'm just left with the mottling underneath, which I think looks pretty cool. Do you think the markings are indicative of anything bad? Or should I sand it all until I have a uniform colour? It's going to be in a mudskipper setup.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2015 10:40 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2015 10:27 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Ok, so I've had this ivy branch drying out for nearly a year (it was cut well before that though) and I think it's now tank ready. I've cut it to size and stripped off all the bark. Now I'm just left with the mottling underneath, which I think looks pretty cool. Do you think the markings are indicative of anything bad? Or should I sand it all until I have a uniform colour? It's going to be in a mudskipper setup.

I would clean it , but i am a freak liket that :-) How is the setup coming along ?

More
06 May 2015 10:45 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I forgot to add the photo!

It's all systems go right now. Tank is cleaned, going to be siliconing the rocks and wood into the tank tonight hopefully. The filter (a DIY overhead sump system) is made and just needs a few final touches. Hopefully by tomorrow night I can give it the partial fill and soon after that it'll be ready for the occupants; a few Periopthalmodon septemradiatus.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 May 2015 10:51 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
SOunds good so it does looking forward to seeing it :-) That is a nice looking piece of wood :-)

More
06 May 2015 15:57 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Nice article in PFK this month on breeding mud skippers

Eric

More
06 May 2015 16:20 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I can pretty much guarantee they won't be breeding in my tank :P

More
06 May 2015 16:59 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)

Eric

Was a good article alright.Are you planning on using tidal filteration also?

Gavin

More
06 May 2015 17:25 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Eric

Was a good article alright.Are you planning on using tidal filteration also?

Gavin

Nothing so fancy. Just an overhead sump filter I've made.

More
06 May 2015 17:42 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Defo do a few pictures. ..would be v interested in seeing it The whole set up when its up and running.
Gavin

More
06 May 2015 18:31 #10 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Are they territorial ?

More
06 May 2015 18:49 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Are they territorial ?

The larger ones, like Periopthalmus barbarus, extraordinarily so. But these are alot smaller, only about 4 inches, and not so homicidally inclined, esp if kept in a group... or so I'm told.

More
07 May 2015 10:18 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Ok so waiting on the pictures of the progress from last night :-) its like sitting in the cinema waiting for a movie to start if you dont start posting pictures my popcorn will run out :whistle:

More
07 May 2015 11:37 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Ok so waiting on the pictures of the progress from last night :-) its like sitting in the cinema waiting for a movie to start if you dont start posting pictures my popcorn will run out :whistle:

Ironically enough, I had every intention of working on the tank last night but someone booked tickets for the new Avengers movie last and I ended up going out. Got nothing done :hammer:
Hand sanding the ivy during lunch today, just to get rid of any rough edges and make it look a little more uniform. Tonight I'll be siliconing it into position along with a slate platform and a small rock waterfall at the other end where the return for the filter will empty into the tank. Tomorrow morning I'll add the gravel and water and get the filter on a test run. If I get no leaking or overflowing then I'll add the media and that evening and then I'm good to go! :cool:

More
07 May 2015 12:27 #14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Nice :-)
You still did not mention when you were going to add a few pictures :-) :crazy:

More
07 May 2015 13:10 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Nice :-)
You still did not mention when you were going to add a few pictures :-) :crazy:

;)
I think I'll add them as I go along, so I'll probably post a few tonight.

More
07 May 2015 19:25 #16 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic ivy branch ready
Looking forward to an update on this. Was half thinking of setting up a tank for mud skippers but I kept my group of corys instead of moving them on so they got the tank.

What sort of water will you be Using?

Marino, Dublin 9

More
07 May 2015 22:24 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Looking forward to an update on this. Was half thinking of setting up a tank for mud skippers but I kept my group of corys instead of moving them on so they got the tank.

What sort of water will you be Using?

Periopthalmodon septemradiatus is, to my knowledge, one of the most freshwater of mudskippers. They even live in drainage ditches near coastal villages. They are also more inclined, when threatened, to flee towards land rather than water. I plan on keeping them in freshwater, at least initially, and maybemaybe making the water more brackish later on

More
08 May 2015 07:55 #18 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The outside of the glass is a bit grubby, so apologies for the quality of the photo but here's the initial hardscape of the mudskipper tank. a few more rocks to add maybe but this is the general idea; ivy branch at one end and the rock waterfall at the other with a kind of feeding platform in the middle area. Hopefully there'll be more to see tonight.

Attachments:

More
08 May 2015 14:22 #19 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

The outside of the glass is a bit grubby, so apologies for the quality of the photo but here's the initial hardscape of the mudskipper tank. a few more rocks to add maybe but this is the general idea; ivy branch at one end and the rock waterfall at the other with a kind of feeding platform in the middle area. Hopefully there'll be more to see tonight.

Wow amazing looking well worth the wait , real credit to you looks so nice so far :-) Look forward to seeing more :-)

More
08 May 2015 14:39 #20 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks. I'm going to use pea gravel as a substrate and there'll be some more rocks with Java fern and anubias attached, to soften things up a little.

More
08 May 2015 14:48 #21 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Look forward to seeing more. I am in deep planning on my tank also. Trying my best to get all together and a good plan before i do the final setup of everthing :-) Exciting i can see it in my head just have to put it in action. Have to get rid of other tank first to keep calm in the house lol :-)

More
08 May 2015 14:54 #22 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I am in deep planning on my tank also. Trying my best to get all together and a good plan before i do the final setup of everthing :-) Exciting i can see it in my head just have to put it in action.

I know the feeling :laugh: . I have to keep telling myself "Take it slowly, don't rush, get it right then get the fish!". It's so easy to get excited and then muck it up and have to start all over again.

More
08 May 2015 15:03 #23 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
All i have is a clean up crew now in my tank and starting to transfer some soft corals over from my other tank.
I promised myself i would not rush. I will start with 2 clowns in around 2 weeks or so and then wait at least a month before adding any other fish. As i want rare fish i will be very careful before i add as the cost will be high. I imagine i will not add anything more expensive until after the summer :-)

More
09 May 2015 10:53 #24 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic ivy branch ready
Nice looking tank L.J cant wait to see the progress Pics ;)

Stephen.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
10 May 2015 21:02 - 10 May 2015 22:16 #25 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
So here it is, sans fish. The water is murky from a dechlorinator but all seems to be running well so far; no leaks or totally unforeseen design flaws... so far :lol:
I've already got 3 small banded archerfish (and 2 quite cunning crickets, possessed of both a good grip and the sense to climb higher!). I'll post some footage of them in a day or two. Still to come are the mudskippers...

Last edit: 10 May 2015 22:16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
11 May 2015 19:11 #26 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
That's a good video of the setup.
If you want some anubias, I can give you some cuttings.
Would tall growing Amazon swords be any use to your Archers ?

More
11 May 2015 20:25 #27 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

That's a good video of the setup.
If you want some anubias, I can give you some cuttings.
Would tall growing Amazon swords be any use to your Archers ?

Some more Anubias would be great, cheers. I don't have enough substrate for Amazons though, or anything other than Java fern and Anubias for that matter. On top of that is the fact that at some time in the future I might use marine salt so any plant I have now has to be salt tolerant. And I'm also useless at planted tanks generally. the only ones that work for me are the ones you stick to a rock :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds