Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

25 year tank dies

More
23 Apr 2016 08:22 #1 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Taught I would share my dad's story.

He came home on Wednesday night after collecting my mum from work, 1am as my mum works in a hotel bar.

25 year old clearseal tank, tropical, was leaking water out of a seal. Had to empty tank to the last 7 inches. Only a handful of fish in it, all survived.

Has another tank under this, built in unit, that had quarintine tank for pond.

Next day moved fish to pond and got tank ready for fish from top tank. Turned on heater and when at temp he transfered fish to it.

Next morning comes downstairs to tank at 36 degrees, most fish dead, managed to save 2 out of about 25-30. Back to top tank lol.

He still doesn't mind, he just thinks it's all part of fish keeping. He's sad the tank seals went as he bought it so long ago after quiting smoking.

Just taught I'd share.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 08:47 #2 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Ah that's a shame it raises the question do fish tanks actually have a life span as such or is there a recommendation on how long you should use a tank.

After 25 years he got his money's worth tho.

Fair play to him giving up the smokes I am myself trying to give them up and the love of fish keeping is definitely a way to channel the cravings but to justify giving them up I would be out to seahorse every day to buy something hahahahahah.

Hope he gets a new tank or gets the clear seal repaired.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
23 Apr 2016 09:07 #3 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well from reading up on tanks, the seals should last on average of 15 years. I think 25 was a good showing of clearseal making great tanks back then. I now have a 5ft clearseal so hope it lasts that long :)

More
23 Apr 2016 09:26 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Sorry to hear about your dads tank , just give him a bit of encouragement to get another one ,i hope he stays off the fags . Fishkeeping is not cheap but fags are worse

More
23 Apr 2016 10:17 #5 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
He's planning on either re sealing or buying new. He's not sure yet. He's just glad it didn't happen when he was on holidays, he's leaving for 2 weeks Tuesday.

Don't think he'll never have fish, he has a pond as well. Think when he comes back there will be alot of planning lol.

More
23 Apr 2016 10:30 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Whats in the pond

More
23 Apr 2016 10:51 #7 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Whats in the pond

50+ koi goldfish and carp I think.

I'll get some pics of the koi as they are super. 3 are over the 18 inch mark.

More
23 Apr 2016 16:04 #8 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Very sad and indeed part of the hobby. As said before 25 years definitely got the money worth. Every end mean start of something new ;)

Tom

More
24 Apr 2016 14:07 #9 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
25 years
I think the majority of us would be lucky to get that long out of 1 tank!
Bad luck, yes but sure at this stage it owes nothing!!!!

More
26 Apr 2016 01:19 #10 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Yea he was well happy with the life of the tank and sent him barts way and now hes getting a replacement clearseal off him or alot less than getting something custom built from others.

He goes on holdiays tomorrow night till next week and picking up the tank friday week so its something to look forward to for when he comes back. Now all i have to do is keep his 2 surviving fish alive and keep all the koi in his pond alive too lol.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds