Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Crawling thingys!

More
25 Aug 2006 02:46 #1 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Hi All,
This morning I decided to have a bash at submitting a photo for the competition so first thing to do was to clean the glass of the tank. I went to clean one of those greasy imprints you get when a forehead is leaned against the glass but found it was on the inside. Stared at it for a bit and noticed that it was moving. Looks like loads of tiny white/pale jelly bean shaped things and they are deliberately moving around by themselves and not waving in the current. (Edit)After looking again they could be described as tiny hair cuttings less than about a half a mm long.(End edit)
My water quality is good - Nitrates a bit high at 50 to 60 but community healthy happy and breeding. Newest stock of 8 Neon's introduced about 4 weeks ago. Food same... nothing new.

This may be nothing but wanted to check if anyone knows what this is or should I take action.
Thanks, Processor.

(Some day armed with years of experience I will be able to contribute to this forum and not be taking from it all the time.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 12:49 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Crawling thingys!
It sounds like Planaria to me. Thats a sure sign of overfeeding. You need to cutback on the feeding and increase your water changes by both frequency and amount.
When cleaning make sure you lift all objects and gravel clean under these.
Gouramis are supposed to be good at eating them.I never had a Planaria problem but my mate did.
Adding a little salt helps too.

More
25 Aug 2006 15:39 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
You say you have fish breeding in this tank.
If these are egg layers the planaries will have a feast on the eggs.
They can also be found attached to fry.
As Anthony said plenty of water changes and cut back feeding.
In a week or so after a water change take some of the mulm you have syphoned from the tank and place it in a tub. If there is still a high popalation of these in your tank they should be crawling aroung the tub.

More
27 Aug 2006 15:45 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Thanks lads,

Followed your advice and it's 90% gone already.
This forum and the brains within are brilliant.

Thanks again
Processor.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2006 07:58 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Crawling thingys!
Thats what were here for. :P

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds