Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

digital readers

More
15 Sep 2006 16:48 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Is there any digital readers that are multi-functional ? as in do temp / ph/gh/nitrates....

Damian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2006 09:53 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
des the breeder has one

lampeye

More
28 Sep 2006 01:22 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Yeah but i think it cost him a pretty penny too.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
28 Sep 2006 12:25 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I think you may be mistaken, Des has a ph meter and a TDS meter.

More
19 Oct 2006 12:08 #5 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
have looked for these my self, the only ones on ebay i could find was more for marine tanks and was €400. i ended up with a pH meter with digital thermometer.

May your fish be with you:

More
19 Oct 2006 12:48 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
How accurate is the digital thermometre? I bought a cheapie one in Brittas (€25), but it reads about 1.5c over. I believe this is pretty common wit the budget digital thermometers.

Regards,

Ken.

More
19 Oct 2006 14:00 #7 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
it is in built into the pH meter. from the reading on it and on a normal thermo it seems to be correct. the only prob with the meter in general is that it has to be recalibrated at least every 2nd or third time its used, other than that it is as perfect as i can get it as i am red green color blind, just the colors we use for water stat kits :?
i also have a seperate digi thermometer from the same place i got the pH meter from & it resds the same as the meter. it was only €10

More
19 Oct 2006 14:22 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think I'll buy another brand of cheapie digital thermometer and see if it's more accurate. I might have been just unlucky enough to get a dud.

Regards,

Ken.

More
20 Oct 2006 11:44 #9 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
have a look on the box or instructions of the unit it should tell you the variant range of the meter, so give you a better idea how accurate it is.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 08:15 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: digital readers
I had good search for one of these a while back.
Turns out even the good ones require some sort of reagent (no doubt expensive).
I think I'm stuck with the Tetra Master Test kit I just bought.
€17 delivered off ebay.
Can't go wrong.

Of course, if someone finds a kick ass tester please post it here!!!

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 13:37 #11 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re: digital readers
What do you all think of this? a five in one tester (not digital), got a five star rating from Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. Here is the link-

www.eshalabs.com/testing.htm

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 14:50 #12 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: digital readers
Tetra been doing them for years

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 15:25 #13 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: digital readers
I have a similar one, probably the Tetra set, they were right in that the results were accurate for Amm and Nitrite, but hard to read the Nitrate readings, too vague.

So I bought the master test kit and got the same results!

More
04 Dec 2006 15:29 #14 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
got the tetra 5 in 1 a while ago. ended up putting it in the bin and wasting €17.

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 15:43 #15 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re: digital readers
Big waste then :? . I'm sorry just noticed the treads about digital testers, which I would like one but not just yet. So as we are on the topic of testers which are reasonably good ones (not digital), and where would be the best place to buy them?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2006 15:49 #16 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: digital readers

got the tetra 5 in 1 a while ago. ended up putting it in the bin and wasting €17.

Working partime in a fish shop I have used all the test kits and they are all the same. The 5 in 1 and the tetra kits.
I have a digital ph reader but it was 100 euro.

More
05 Dec 2006 14:46 #17 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
5 in 1 testers are a wates of time. but that is my opinion only. other keepers on a few sites use them all the time but i dont trust them. did a number of tests between the 5 in 1 & the liquid api tests and the 5 in 1 came out a long way off. i am color blind so that why i got the pH meter. when it is set up correctly it gives good reads & matches the api tests, so i am not that color blind after all, :lol: . also got lfs to test my water at the same time & it came back exacly as i had read with the api & meter.
personally its a matter of choice and what you feel happy with and the results you get. price wise dont think there is much of a difference overall.

More
05 Dec 2006 14:50 #18 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
sorry anthony, are you saying all test kits in general or just the tetra 5 in1 and thier liquid tests are the same?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2006 08:07 #19 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: digital readers
The 5 in 1 and the liquid tests.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds