Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)

More
24 Nov 2006 04:02 #1 by essjay (S Jackson)
Just wondering does anyone feed their fish fresh food bought from supermarkets?

I know my dad would the odd time buy fresh Kray fish from Aldi or Lidl, and throw a handful into his Koi now and again. He said they go mental for for it.

So wondering does anyone throw the odd prawn or something similar into their tanks?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2006 06:40 #2 by JohnH (John)
Yep,
I buy a bag of frozen shelled prawns each time I go to lidl.
This is the staple food for my one remaining Oscar.

I find it to be the ideal food for that lad (or lass). It's perfect because there's no mess from the gill covers, as there is with most prepared foods (important if there are no 'scavengers' in the tank). I still have the waste from its other end, but that's quite easy to clean by comparison. I would imagine crayfish would be equally good but they aren't avilable here.

I also break them up to give to other Cichlids as treat food and occasionally put in a couple of whole ones after lights out for the plecs - they're never there in the morning!

I used to use cockles too but so far have been unable to find any for sale out this way.

Also, from lidl I buy frozen Brussel Sprouts, a minute in microwave, in enough water to cover them - say half a dozen or so as needed - give my Severums something other than aquarium plants to much on. I do this too, when I can get any, with frozen spinach (without the microwave bit) but find that to be a bit 'bitty' for the larger fish. (I just yesterday bought some fresh spinach, which is in leaf form - that could be the answer).Everything seems to like that, even the Angels! Many years ago I remember an article by someone who seemed to be a bit of a fishy nutritional expert and in it he said that spinach was very good for sickly fish too, at the time I had Discus and one was well off its food but it did peck at the spinach so there might be something in it

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Nov 2006 07:29 #3 by zebadee (zebadee)
Yup, I agree with the lads. I also use prawns, cucumber and even boiled cabbage leaf on occasion. For my cichlids I combine the above with spirulena powder from a health food shop and blend the buggery out of it, pour the resulting gloop into ice trays, deal with the nagging from the wife and freeze it. I then add a hacked up cube once a week into the tank. It does wonders for colouration ime.

More
24 Nov 2006 09:40 #4 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I always have a bag of green isle peas to hand. Stick them in the microwave with a small amount of water and then start peeling off the hard husks. (just a matter of squeezing them till the inside pops out). All of the fish go mental for them and apparently peas do wonders for digestion and movements.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 11:00 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)
yep, aldi also do frozen cod (not the battered one :!: ) I use it in my discus food, also prawns, mussels, spinach, egg yolk...

More
24 Nov 2006 11:09 #6 by JohnH (John)
I forgot to add peas on my list and....frozen sweetcorn.

Most of my fish eat it with gusto, especially (strangely enough) the Oscar!!!

Even my otherwise 'disappeared' Synos come out of hiding for that!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Nov 2006 11:17 #7 by essjay (S Jackson)
some great recipe's here lads......

So far we can.... get peas, sweetcorn, sprouts, spinach, egg yoke, prawns, cod, cabbage, spirulena powder, cucumber, cockles & mussel blend the lot and feed them to our swimming friends.

Sure I'd nearly eat it myself......

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 14:04 #8 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)
Dont forget the red meat, some nice Beef Heart , oh and a bit of garlic powder aids digestion.

More
24 Nov 2006 14:07 #9 by essjay (S Jackson)

Dont forget the red meat, some nice Beef Heart , oh and a bit of garlic powder aids digestion.

excuse the dumb question - a cows heart?

be some of the best fed fish in the land....

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 14:09 #10 by iffymike (iffymike)
Whats wrong with that, i got 3 i'm preparing tomorrow.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 14:13 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)
yep, beefheart, don't feed it too often though .It's meat from a warmblooded animal and fish have problems digesting the fat. Turkey heart is better, still from a warm blooded animal but less fat. I know some breeders who use pig's liver

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 14:15 #12 by iffymike (iffymike)
I completely skin and get rid of all the visible fat and sinews, before i mince it down for the mixture.

More
24 Nov 2006 15:00 #13 by essjay (S Jackson)

I completely skin and get rid of all the visible fat and sinews, before i mince it down for the mixture.

you're kidding me..... some work. Feeding Jaws by any chance....?

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 15:21 #14 by iffymike (iffymike)
Nope just me discus and anything else that eats it, especially my plecs and every other fish i have :lol:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 16:45 #15 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)

yep, beefheart, don't feed it too often though .It's meat from a warmblooded animal and fish have problems digesting the fat. Turkey heart is better, still from a warm blooded animal but less fat. I know some breeders who use pig's liver

You have to strip all the fat/veins/membranes /sinews. Only use the meat. Its a long and ordous process.
Great for the Discus.
I have a freezer load if anyone is interested. I use to have the house stinking of garlic and raw meat.
Never feed Discus vegtable matter as they do not have the enzymes in their stomach to break it down.

Best place to buy prawns is Tesco. You can get a bag for under 3 euro. I did not realise why my Centrals had fgot so bit. It was because my other half fees them prawns at least twice a week. They are absolutely huge and not even a year old.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 09:30 #16 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)
This was such an informative thread ,,, until 21:00 when the beef heart was first mentioned , from then on the discussion was dominated by blood and guts .
Clarifications that I need ;
1 Do you have to puree the peas , cucumbers and prawns , cook the cod ? My lads played water polo with the chopped peas at lunchtime .
2. I have been feeding flakes so far ( new tank set up in Nov 06) , I feed once a day what they can eat in 1 minute ( up to 2min) . But from the way they look at me , they are saying MORE . Is this gluttiny ? How will I know what is enough if I give them the odd pea or prawn?
Thanks for any advice.

PJQ

170l 4 guppy, 3 danio, 3 platy , 2 molly and 1 albino shark

More
09 Jan 2007 09:40 #17 by essjay (S Jackson)
I'd say you could blend most of it to make a paste, and maybe as a treat chop up a prawn and throw it in.

Sure see how it goes.....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 09:40 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Ok, just to clarify this. Cucumbers, peas, lettuce are best fed to plecs, bristlenoses and the like. Cucumbers raw with skin removed, boiling water run over the lettuce and frozen peas should be defrosted and maybe squashed for some species (octocinclus for example).

Fish and shellfsh such as cod, mussles or prawn can be given a spin in the blender and incorporated in a food mixture such as many people use for their discus. They are used raw (cod) or cooked (mussles, prawns)
Oscars will take whole, shelled prawns and mussles.

I just checked the list of fish you are keeping and you are properly better off feeding them flake. Your feeding regime is fine even a bit lean. feeding twice will do no harm.

More
09 Jan 2007 09:43 #19 by essjay (S Jackson)
was not aware that the prawns needed to be cooked. Is this due to them being from salt water?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 09:44 #20 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
No, just easier shelling :D

More
09 Jan 2007 09:47 #21 by essjay (S Jackson)
so if you got a bag of shelled frozen prawns, could you defrost and feed?

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 09:59 #22 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Fresh Fish Food (prawns, kray etc)

More
09 Jan 2007 10:02 #23 by essjay (S Jackson)

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 11:23 #24 by Anthony (Anthony)
You can buy bags of frozen prawns that have no shells.

Tesco is about the best as you can get a bag for a little over 2 euro.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 13:21 #25 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
No naming LFSs but naming supermarket chains is OK? :D
Along those lines: Frozen cod in from Aldi is great. Under 4 €. Birdseye is close to 6.50€for the same amount and it actually seems to be much better quality

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 13:26 #26 by Anthony (Anthony)
Spread the good news brother.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds