Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

***Any Fluval FX5 owners***

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • ChrisM (ChrisM)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 08:30 #1 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
***Any Fluval FX5 owners*** was created by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Just wondering what is being charged for these nowadays.I paid 450E about 20 months ago,just when they were new out.

???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2006 08:47 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Deco or Deeco has one, he got it on the net a while ago. Dunno how much he paid for it. Think it was a lot cheaper than that.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
05 Dec 2006 11:41 #3 by Deeco (Deeco)
i paid about 150 sterling shipping was a fiver so bout 200 euro that was about 8 months ago excellent filter haven't had any trouble what about you?

You know yourself

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 17:56 #4 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: ***Any Fluval FX5 owners***
There is potentially plenty of trouble with these filters.As usual they are badly designed.When doing maintenance make sure to cover the intake to the impeller.If anything gets in there you are looking at unscrewing 4 awkward screws to get at the impeller to remove stuff.As all fishkeeepers know,accidents happen to us more than the average human being!!!!!
The flow is great on them,my water is pristine.Well it should be for that money.I bought mine in PetStop Superstore in Blanchardstown.They are still charging 450 for them,unbelievable!!!!Could you PM me the details or a link of your source,or just post it?Cheers.

More
05 Dec 2006 19:35 #5 by Deeco (Deeco)
here is the link i got it from these bout eight months ago ther girls name is jackie i get a few bits for my pond from them aswell the do some specials every now and then have a browse around it

www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/fluval_external_filters.asp

You know yourself

More
02 Feb 2007 10:09 #6 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
mine arrived in the post today from aquatics online

charged 30 pounds sterling for delivery so filter came in at 168 sterling
which converts to 254 euro. not too bad at all.

Now my only problem is that the mutha doesnt fit into the cabinet of my new RIO 400.

What a pain in the arse.

It 'might' just fit if I take the doors off and then put it in.
but it's not going to be easy to get in and out for maintance.

It'll fit in the middle bay but then im talking about drilling holes
in the cabinet to allow the filter hosing to go through.

AAGGGHHH What a nightmare.

:(

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2007 10:15 #7 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
I had the same problem.I took the door off and put a new flat hinge onto the outside lip of the cabinet which meant I got an extra half inch which was invaluable!!

More
02 Feb 2007 10:18 #8 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
hmm.. good idea.
like a piano hinge or something.

(again) any chance of a pic!!

More
02 Feb 2007 10:35 #9 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I had to drill holes in my Aquatlantis tank for my Fluval 305. The gap in the Aquatlantis cabinets is at the bottom which makes no sense. It wouldn't have suited my Fluval as it clearly says not to have any kinks in the tubing.

Anyway, I went to trusty B&Q and bought a hole saw for around €12. It did the trick in no time at all. I drilled two holes, one for each tube.

Regards,

Ken.

More
02 Feb 2007 12:00 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I beleive these filters are made in Italy, the Italian are famous for making unreliable ever thing electrical and mechanical, any one that owns a fiat will tell, you, I guess that's my Toyota is completely taking over the market in the states, the Yanks are buying Jap products.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
15 Mar 2007 06:05 #11 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
eventually got my new tank and FluvalFX5 up and running.
I dunno but for the size of the filter i expected there to be a
really fast output of water but the flow rate doesnt seem
all that powerful.

At the other end of my rio400 the water is barely rippled...

any idea?

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 06:07 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: ***Any Fluval FX5 owners***
When you run warm water through the pipes, the pipes will soften and sometimes kink and block water flow. My guess.

More
15 Mar 2007 06:13 #13 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
was new water directly from the tap.
freezing cold.. this could have an impact too...?
i dunno.. bit of an anticlimax... the pipes are absolutely
huge though!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 06:19 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Did you measure the flow? Take a ten litre bucket and time how long it takes to fill. From that you can calculate your hourly flow.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 06:25 #15 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
It may still have air pockets,try switching it off every 5 minutes for 20 minutes.You may want to consider the size of the OP nozzles,they are huge.We are used to smaller more direct jets of water being output from External Filters.

More
15 Mar 2007 06:55 #16 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
At the ITFS meeting on Tuesday, "our leader" sorry I'm really crap with names (I think its john) was saying that his FX5 had all but stopped pumping water, it was literally a trickle flowing in to the tank. He had also only recently cleaned it! Maybe there is a universal problem!

He also mentioned that the fx5 purges itself of air automatically so an air-block in the system shouldn't be the problem.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 07:42 #17 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
It does purge air alright,and often when new the air isnt fully purged in the first second or third purge.If this is left to occur manually it will take 3 days,I suggested to do it in 20 minutes just to strike it off as a problem.Fluval arent universally accepted as good quality,Id agree to an extent but these machines shouldnt be reduced to tricke filters no matter how dirty they get.

In regard to Johns Fluval,I reckon I know what his problem is.Dirt has gotten into his impellar chamber.This happens because when you are cleaning the filter and have it dismantled the tube to the impellar is left exposed,dust,substrate or detritus can get in very easily and inhibit the impellar or totally stop it.It is better to have it fully stopped as happened to me,othrwise it is hard to figure out the real problem.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 13:53 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
IMO Fluvals are pretty poor external filters. I have no personal experience with the FX5 but used to have a 405 and that was a serious piece of the brown stuff. Wouldn't seal properly after about 12 months use.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 14:00 #19 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Fluval
I agree the 405 is a pig. I use an old one for driving my nitrate remover and the damn seal is a b*********** just when you think its sealed and prime, it water gushes out from it. the O ring is a pig.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 10:27 #20 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Fluval

I agree the 405 is a pig. I use an old one for driving my nitrate remover and the damn seal is a b*********** just when you think its sealed and prime, it water gushes out from it. the O ring is a pig.

Don`t say that, mine is going fine. Should I expect a leak..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 10:36 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Make sure your insurance covers water leaks

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds