Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Is it fungus?

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • FreakyFish (FreakyFish)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 11:11 #1 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Is it fungus? was created by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
OK, the last few days I have been trying to clean out, what looks like a type of fungus in the tank, it looks like fluffy spider web. I am not 100% sure how it happened, but I'm putting it down to the fact that when I got the filter, there was a part missing and the tank went on hold. During this time the water began to go kind of stagnant due to no filtration, now I don't no what to do :roll: . I took all the ornaments out and poured boiling water over them trying to kill off anything. I am not sure but I think it is beginning to grow back again. I did not put the ornaments back in yet. I scraped as much of the fungus off as possible and have left the filter do the rest, do I need to do a full water change? just to be on the safe side.

Or do I need to sterilize it? I don't know how to go about doing that, so I would rather stick to boiling water if possible.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2006 11:47 #2 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
is their anything living i the tank?
if their isn't, I would recommend empting the tank and starting cycle with a goldfish or two in it.

If there is fish in it defo 50% water change.

What size is the tank and cloudy is it?

You know yourself

• alan_co9 (alan_co9)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 11:48 #3 by alan_co9 (alan_co9)
Replied by alan_co9 (alan_co9) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
Would you be able to post a photo and maybe I can help.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 12:18 #4 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
The tank is fish less, and since I did the clean I don't think anything would show up in a picture. There was a piece of bog wood, which may have caused the problem. I noticed yesterday the water was starting to look cloudy again, with a light scum on top of the water. A picture wont show anything, it is nearly microscopic only on close inspection can you notice it. It covered the glass and ornaments.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 12:26 #5 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)

Would you be able to post a photo and maybe I can help.

Alan, I just took an ok pic and am going to put it up. Tank is 275 L, I found a few really small (dead) flys in it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 12:36 #6 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
The white stuff was everywhere the other day, just worried it will grow back. :?

• alan_co9 (alan_co9)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 13:49 #7 by alan_co9 (alan_co9)
Not to sure about the fungus but I think I had something similar 4 months ago. Mine covered the front glass and it was like a net. Not saying that it is the same! I got rid of mine by doing a big water change and cleaning the glass with an algae scraper. (don't forget to sterilize it if you do in case its anything serious)

with a light scum on top of the water

Dose the scum break if you drop fish food into it.

PS. Sorry I could not get back any sooner im painting all day.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 13:58 #8 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
No worries Alan, I did a 75% water change the other day and used the scraper, it was like a net, I'm not 100% sure it's growing back. The scum slightly breaks, well more of a clear circle forms around the food it could just be chlorine, but I used chlorine remover. How do I go about sterilizing? I did not get to check my water parameters yet, don't have a kit.

• alan_co9 (alan_co9)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 14:04 #9 by alan_co9 (alan_co9)
I know this one. The scum is grease/oil off you. Ours body produce this and when you put your arms in the tank it cant mix with the water and floats on the surface!

Just get a plain, unscented piece kitchen roll and run it over the surface of the water, this should soak in the film quite nicely. I only had this problem a week ago. Hope it helps.

More
05 Dec 2006 14:10 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
the scum on the suction cup in the picture i have experienced myself with no harm to the fish. But i never had it on the glass or anywhere else.
To get rid of the scum on the surface you need to agitate or break the surface of the water.
this can be done with the return from the filter. This will also aerate the water.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 14:18 #11 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Yeah that would explain the scum, It only formed last night after my arm was in the tank. The filter returns the water under and not above the water level, so it wont break the surface. I will turn on the air pump. As for the white web stuff, do you recommend that I sterilize the tank?

Be Back at 10...

• alan_co9 (alan_co9)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 14:21 #12 by alan_co9 (alan_co9)
NO I meant the algae scraper, sorry. Should have made myself a bit clearer. Sorry again.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2006 16:13 #13 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
OK, that's about all the white stuff that's left, and a small amount at the bottom that I didnt get too. I still might do one last water change to be on the safe side. Will have to start the cycle again :roll: , ah-well better right than wrong.

More
11 Dec 2006 12:28 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
I do not think it is oil off the skin, as in the photo its attached to every thing under water, and not on the surface. In a new tank as soon as you switch on a heater some solubles come out of solution, just like in a kettle, if you fling a net in a swimming pool for 2 months you get a horrible calcium thick scum spotted in various parts of the handle (metal).

If it was real living fungus it would flourish till bacteria are added to the tank, at that point they will clear up the water and eat this scum. I will refrain from calling you scum for not knowing this. The most hygenic way of getting these bacteria into your tank, is to steal some filter wool from am mature tank, presumable from the shop you are going to give them the business. Fish keepers in Israel to save the money on buying bacteria in a bottle, quite often dip a used baby's nappy in to the tank to seed it.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2006 14:03 #15 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Ok Sean, there is no heaters yet. The scum on the top, is a separate part from the white hmm... I don't know. I do think the scum is oil as it only came the day after I had been taking out the ornaments to boil wash them. I will try and get some filter sponge from my pet shop. I don't know where my old filter went, just vanished (thrown out by Mother :roll: :lol: ).

:Quote: Fish keepers in Israel to save the money on buying bacteria in a bottle, quite often dip a used baby's nappy in to the tank to seed it.:Unquote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More
11 Dec 2006 15:31 #16 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
Freaky...
A bit of a long shot here, but have you used any of the ph adjusters?

I ask because when I used Waterlife 6.5 ph adjuster (can't recall off the top of my head its name) the whole of the inside of the tank I used it in became covered with a similar looking 'scum', surface too.

As previously stated, it's a bit of a long shot, but worth the mention all the same.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2006 16:14 #17 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
No. After I cleaned all the white stuff off, I added Nutrafin Cycle. But nothing was added before the stuff appeared. It has nearly cleared up, but I can't be sure that it won't come back. It really is quite mind boggling isn't it, could be 1 in a million different things. :?

More
12 Dec 2006 01:53 #18 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Is it fungus?
I was only joking at least about the nappies etc, you have filled up your tank source from 10C city tap water which has risen to 18C-20C (ambient temperature (unless you sit in you house with you coat on with no central heating!) You will get "scum fall out".
also sorry about the scum joke :twisted: I should really get my post censored.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds