Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What's the general consensus on tanks & filters

More
08 Jan 2007 08:49 #1 by essjay (S Jackson)
Further to my post the other day about what to stock in a 15L tank, I've more or less decided to upgrade the small one to something in the region of 110L - 150L.

But what size filter should match a tank of this size? Just browsing the Eheim selection and one particular filter is recommended for a tank up to 150L (500L/h). Generally speaking would that be the appropriate/adequate filter for a tank up to 150L or is it the minimum size filter for that size tank?

Or is bigger always better? Would I be better off going for a filter up to 250L (700L/h) or even 350L (950L/h)? Would the water quality be any better?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2007 08:58 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters
There are alot of different factors relating to this issue such as stocking level,dietary requirements,still or fastmoving water etc etc.A general rule of thumb when it comes to filtering is a filter should be able to turnover the tanks volume 3-5 times an hour.
For a cichlid tank this can go to 8+.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2007 09:04 #3 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters
It depends partly on what sort of fish you intend to keep. With the 500L/h filter in a tank your size you'd be filtering the contents 3 to 4 times per hour, that pretty good.

The disadvantage with increasing the filtration is that when you take more water out of the tank you have to put it back in quicker and that means the more filtration, the more current. That can cause problems with fish that don't like strong currents and also with plants.

Careful attention to where you place the intake and outlets for filters can minimise the disruption but you'll always get more current with more filtration.

You could consider getting 2 smaller filters incase one breaks. I have a 300L with 1800 L/h filtration so that's 6 times per hour plus a 1000 l'h powerhead, luckily I have fish that like current and Piranha are messy so need it.

With a larger filter the water quality wouldn't necessarily be any better, the filters main job is to take ammonia, convert that to Nitrites and Nitrates that you can then remove via water changes. It does have a degree of mechanical filtration but that's generally to stop particles getting into the filter, clogging it and reducing it's efficiency. Larger particles such as bits of plant and solid waste is only removed with a gravel vacum / water change.

Hope this helps.

Matt

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2007 10:34 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters
500 l/h should be plenty for the general community tank. That is if you don't overstock. What kind of fish do you want to keep in it nad how many?

More
08 Jan 2007 10:38 #5 by essjay (S Jackson)

500 l/h should be plenty for the general community tank. That is if you don't overstock. What kind of fish do you want to keep in it nad how many?

thinking a pair of Calvis (although initially I will need to get a number of juveniles in order to have a pair form) and shelldwellers (but not decided which ones). Would like to add perhaps a second breed of larger cave-dweller fish.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2007 16:10 #6 by pjq (pjq)
Essjay,

I just bought an Eheim filter , but can't give you any advice ... as I'm only a beginner. However ,,,, the best price I found was Zooplus www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/technic_and_acc...nister_filters/13352 , you need to order the media separately . Delivery is free from DE , takes +- 1 week , Saving on Eheim 2213 ( LFS €95 v €54+ €6 for filter sponge) =€35- . :wink:

pjq ( no relation to zooplus )

PS there is a €5- first time voucher , maybe you need to look for it when you first register , I couldn't find it at the checkout ! :(

More
09 Jan 2007 02:59 #7 by essjay (S Jackson)

Essjay,

I just bought an Eheim filter , but can't give you any advice ... as I'm only a beginner. However ,,,, the best price I found was Zooplus www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/technic_and_acc...nister_filters/13352 , you need to order the media separately . Delivery is free from DE , takes +- 1 week , Saving on Eheim 2213 ( LFS €95 v €54+ €6 for filter sponge) =€35- . :wink:

pjq ( no relation to zooplus )

PS there is a €5- first time voucher , maybe you need to look for it when you first register , I couldn't find it at the checkout ! :(

Cheers for that - just spent some time browsing Zooplus.

I usually compare web prices against Hennessy's website (Kilkenny Aquatics) in Kilkenny (which I presume is your LFS), and used to be mine, and find one particular site quite cheap - www.aquaristic.net . Shipping is €20 up to a 30kg parcel. The filter you got is listed at €41 on that site but the shipping would probably make it dearer than what you paid altogether.

PS - have Kilkenny Aquatics stopped selling Juwel Aquariums? Was in there on Sunday and they had none at all.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 04:07 #8 by pjq (pjq)
Essjay,
Your right , Aquaristic is cheaper once you have a substantial order and my LFS would be the New Ross branch of KK Aquatics . In New Ross they only had one 300l Juwel tank , they said that they dont stock any more as they are expensive . I got a Aquael tank as I wanted it before Christmas , but I don't like plastic top .
While we are talking money , the Aquael site in En and De dont have prices but the Polish site prices are great . I did find one German site who ship aquaria to Irl , but can't find site now and the thought of the postman's Schadenfreude at my jingeling Christmas package from Germany was too much .

pjq

More
09 Jan 2007 04:13 #9 by essjay (S Jackson)

Essjay,
Your right , Aquaristic is cheaper once you have a substantial order and my LFS would be the New Ross branch of KK Aquatics . In New Ross they only had one 300l Juwel tank , they said that they dont stock any more as they are expensive . I got a Aquael tank as I wanted it before Christmas , but I don't like plastic top .
While we are talking money , the Aquael site in En and De dont have prices but the Polish site prices are great . I did find one German site who ship aquaria to Irl , but can't find site now and the thought of the postman's Schadenfreude at my jingeling Christmas package from Germany was too much .

pjq

It's a strange one to come from KK Aquatics that the Juwel taks are too expensive as I recently saw a range of MP Aquariums (part of Eheim I think) and they were far dearer than the Juwels..... They might have stopped selling those aswell 'cos I didn't see them on Sunday.

More
09 Jan 2007 05:42 #10 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
You should take a look at the Aquatlantis tanks. Wackers and Blanchardstown sell them. They are well made; better than the Juwels in my opinion and competitively priced. I got a 230l Aquatlantis in Blanchardstown for €850 which included a Fluval 305.

I also checked Germany and the UK and most of the online sellers won't ship tanks to Ireland. One place in Germany did, but I didn't want to take the chance. They quoted me €649 for the Juwel Vision 450 and €149 for delivery which was a very good price.

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 05:58 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters
are tanks gone that expensive? I bought a Jewel 300 2 years ago and it cost me 550€ at the time. Another case of Rip off Ireland

More
09 Jan 2007 10:00 #12 by essjay (S Jackson)

You should take a look at the Aquatlantis tanks. Wackers and Blanchardstown sell them. They are well made; better than the Juwels in my opinion and competitively priced. I got a 230l Aquatlantis in Blanchardstown for €850 which included a Fluval 305.

Interesting. Which model did you get? Also did you get the cabinet?

More
09 Jan 2007 13:30 #13 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
The cabinet isn't optional with the Aquatlantis, it only comes with it. I got the Elite Horizon 100 which has a bow front. They have a large selection which are well made and look better than the Juwels for similar money.

They also do them in Grosvenor Aquatics in Lisburn, but the prices looked pretty similar when I was up there last week.

www.aquatlantis.com/uk-frame-produtos.php?id_produto=51

Regards,

Ken.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 04:25 #14 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Replied by mattlemon (mattlemon) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters
I got a Juwel Rio (300l) including stand for 540 about 4 months ago from petshoponline.ie.

I ripped out the internal filter though and replaced it with external cannisters. The Juwel filters are enormous and IMO not great.

Matt

More
10 Jan 2007 04:37 #15 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
When you removed the juwel filter, did it leave any bits of plastic on the glass or does it remove cleanly???

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 05:21 #16 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Do you mean the silicon that the filter is glued to the tank with or the actual plastic filter box?
You will have to get a long blade or saw to cut through the silicone (only three small dots on each side I think) with which the filter box is attached to the back and side of the tank. It is actually a pretty simple operation.

The whole lot will come out in one go then. Should there be any residual silicone left on the glas just use a razor blade or stanely knife to remove it.

You will also have to buy a new heater stat since the one that comes with it cannot be completely submerged.

Holger

More
10 Jan 2007 05:57 #17 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Cheers for that.

I wasn't sure if that was plastic or silicone that had it attached to the glass.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 06:26 #18 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
It leaves parts of the sticky pads on the glass but with careful use of a razor/craft knife blade you can get them off without scratching the glass. It takes about 1/2 an hour though I'd imagine that in a tank that has had the filter in for a while it would be easier to get it out.

I have the heater fully submerged too so maybe I should take it up a little. AFAIK it's fully watertight. It's not used much though as it's the second heater and set a degree lower than the other just incase.

Matt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 06:59 #19 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I think it depends on which model of the Juwel tank you have bought. In the older ones you couldn't fully submerge the heater. I have no idea about their later models.

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 09:44 #20 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
Ah OK, that would make sense. Mines <6 months old so maybe they've upgraded them, there was certainly no warning on it or in the paperwork with the tank.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 16:38 #21 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters

When you removed the juwel filter, did it leave any bits of plastic on the glass or does it remove cleanly???

Peter, I did the same thing before I set up my tank.
The silicon is tough enough to get off, just needs patience and a delicate touch with a razor, or sharp knife blade.
There was eight blobs on my tank. 2 top, 2 bottom of each side attached to the glass.
I used a metal T square (but anything about 10" long and flat will do) to gently pry off each blob, slice by slice.
Once its all off, use a blade to gently scrape the rest of the gunk off.
Finally use a non scrath dish scourer to scrub off the remainder, like that sticky residue you get when you peel old selotape off something.
Now I have two internals doing the job, and I suppose sometime I'll get a canister type in the future.

If you need to borrow the T Square let me know.
It worked great for me anyway.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 16:40 #22 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: What's the general consensus on tanks & filters

Ah OK, that would make sense. Mines <6 months old so maybe they've upgraded them, there was certainly no warning on it or in the paperwork with the tank.

Mine could be 1-2 years old, and I have fully submerged the heater.
How do you tell?

I plan on getting a new heater as there is no temp numbers on this heater.
Recommendations on a new heater for a Rio 240 tank please?

• mattlemon (mattlemon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2007 02:16 #23 by mattlemon (mattlemon)
I have the original Juwel 400Watt heater that came with it but put into an interpet enclosed housing to attach it.

I also have the interpet 300Watt - tinyurl.com/y97dg6

The Juwel heater is set to a degree lower then the Interpet which is the one that does most of the heating, that way I know that if the Juwel heater pops on I might have a problem with the other heater, or maybe the room is just really cold :(

I have them in opposite corners of the tank at the back (vertically) with the thermostat being the only part above the water so I can tweak the temps. I can reccommend the Interpet as I've had no problems in the 6 months that it's been in. It's heating a 300L all by itself since the Juwel one rarely comes on with the possible exception of a water change.

I do think that it's important to have a backup Heater though, as it is with the filters too. We suffer some power outages where I live so I'm also considering getting a UPS battery to run one heater and filter incase the power goes. I know, I'm paranoid :oops:

Matt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2007 04:29 #24 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Eheim Jaeger heaters would be my choice. They come with a two year warrenty and also need less electricity than other makes. 150 w heater is plenty for your tank. I have a 300 w heater in my 600 l tank and it will heat it to 32C and above without any problems

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2007 05:51 #25 by Didihno (Didihno)

Eheim Jaeger heaters would be my choice. They come with a two year warrenty and also need less electricity than other makes. 150 w heater is plenty for your tank. I have a 300 w heater in my 600 l tank and it will heat it to 32C and above without any problems

Thanks Holger!

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds