Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

***Rocks and Stone available in the Dublin Area***

More
15 Jan 2007 08:28 #31 by essjay (S Jackson)
ah ok, penny drops. You are talking about backwalls. I was thinking rocks....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2007 08:36 #32 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: ***Rocks and Stone available in the Dublin Area***
Were you planning to have the rocks in the middle of the tank? You could do that too.
Have a look at this link. It's in German but you'll get the idea

www.klein-home.de/malawi/rueckwand/main.htm

More
15 Jan 2007 08:38 #33 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I read somewhere that silicone based paint is very effective for paining the backs of tanks. It is non-toxic, will not affect the silicone seems, one layer will be sufficient as it has a low viscosity and apparently it is very easily removed when compared to other types of paint.

The only draw back I can see is that I wouldn't know where to look for it in Ireland and I'd say it might cost more than your normal can of fleetwood or crown!!!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
15 Jan 2007 08:39 #34 by essjay (S Jackson)
I was planning to have a large number of rocks in the tank, and wasn't sure could the tank take the weight, so I was considering making them from styrofoam. The backwall will be painted/sprayed black

More
15 Jan 2007 08:44 #35 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

I so I was considering making them from styrofoam.

Floating rocks!!! You would have to get yourself lots of wire and a good anchoring system. Saying that I have seen some excellent foreground rock formations made out of Styrofoam and then cast in concrete. I will have a look around and see if I can nick and post some pics for you.

More
15 Jan 2007 08:54 #36 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
These pictures are robbed from somebody else's post. I'm posting the pictures because it specifically has Styrofoam rocks cast in concrete.

I think it looks quite well!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2007 09:01 #37 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: ***Rocks and Stone available in the Dublin Area***
that pretty's easy to do as well. You literally paint the concrete onto the sytrofoam. You have to make a fairly runny concrete mixture. Use Boston concrete. A couple of coats with it. You can paint it just the same as my background

More
16 Jan 2007 05:19 #38 by essjay (S Jackson)
think I might take a spin over the Wicklow Gap at the weekend to see what I can find....

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • ChrisM (ChrisM)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2007 05:23 #39 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: ***Rocks and Stone available in the Dublin Area***
Hi essjay,

Ill post pics of the rocks I got at the weekend.I cant put them into my tank yet coz I have 2 holding Tropheus and wanna give em time tp spit.

More
16 Jan 2007 05:26 #40 by essjay (S Jackson)
cool cheers. Where did you get them? Dollymount?

More
17 Jan 2007 04:21 #41 by davep (davep)
Once the weight of the rocks is evenly distributed and the tank is on a perfectly flat and level surface then there should be no problem. I silicone flat slate tiles to the bottom of my tanks and then add the rocks and then the substrate. The biggest danger is a rock slide when cleaning the tank or by fish digging the substrate from around the base rocks. You can get silicone now that is non toxic and sets under water so if you are really worried you can silicone the rocks in place, the base rocks anyway.
Another point with large rocks is that if you are removing them from the tank for cleaning or anything else you can very easily damage the glass. they feel lighter under the water than they really are. I have done this in the past where I under estimated the size of a boulder that I had and broke the rim of the tank when I was removing it. I have also scratched the front glass when rearranging the rock work so take care.

More
22 Jan 2007 05:30 #42 by goldy (goldy .)
sorry to but in but if i was to go to the bog to collect bog wood how do i tell if its oak and not the poisonous kind

More
22 Jan 2007 07:05 #43 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
if you google 'styrofoam in aquariums' it shows a good few projects for backing an aquarium.

www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_background.php

hope it helps

May your fish be with you:

More
22 Jan 2007 10:57 #44 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
as far as im aware its illegal to collect rocks from the beach
(and possibly rivers)... still im on the hunt aswell for some
thin slabs of flagstone of some description to silicone to the back and
sides of a new aquarium..

here's the inspiration...
www.cs.kent.edu/~fmueller/240G.html
pretty nice huh?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2007 11:02 #45 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Well, I need locking up so...
If you fing bog oak, get a drill and have a look what colour it is inside. If it's red don't use it. I will rot

More
24 Jan 2007 05:02 #46 by goldy (goldy .)
thanks for the advice all i need now is a pair of wellies...

More
24 Jan 2007 05:47 #47 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Apart from breaking into a fish shop at night, one of the best rocks in the Dublin area, is in 20cm of water in Blessington lakes, (its all jagged and round just as good as volcanic rock) I use to sell it to shops when I was a teenager, great for bear money, not sure on the legalities, no one is around in this bad weather to stop me.

I knew I guy that live in Dundrum that knew where in the Dublin area one could find Tufa rock, which he found by accident using a JBC.

In Majorca, I have a client that has tufa rock scatter loose all over her garden, I was more interest in her than her rocks (Caroline Cormaan the drummer form the corrs music group)

In Spain you could but volcanic rock to fill a 5 foot from bottom to top for under 100Euros from a garden centre. The same rock from a fish shop cost almost Irish prices.

Getting back to Ireland, I remember going to the Western tip of Ireland once and raiding a beach of REAL coral sand, its the real MC koy but more course.

I would never use heavy type rocks as the water does not pass through them so they do not act as a denitrating filter, plus they are bloody dangerous if they fall they could smash the glass.

When volanic rock falls even a a bare bottom tank it would not crack the bottom, as its vertual weight IN WATER does not mount to much, also great for geting rid of NO3 in freshwater or marine, great if you are in ther habit of doing water changes at lets say loog extended intervals.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
24 Jan 2007 05:53 #48 by essjay (S Jackson)
any particular locations on the lakes? Was thinking of taking a spin over the gap at the weekend to do some rock collecting, and could stop off at the lakes

More
24 Jan 2007 07:40 #49 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
Replied by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2) on topic lights
hey i have a 180 to what lights do you use and which is in the front nd back etc

o'connor

More
24 Jan 2007 16:38 #50 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

any particular locations on the lakes? Was thinking of taking a spin over the gap at the weekend to do some rock collecting, and could stop off at the lakes

Gee its a long time ago if you have the IT skills (I dont) to put a map, on the site I could point point the location, I rember its a oval shape lake and coming from Dublin to the lake the lake is on the left hand side of the road about 3 metres below the road height. about half way along. Park the car go through 2 metres of flat wooded area, then there is a 40degree slop going down to the lake. Outside of the water you will see 6 inch rocks but the real nice stuff is underwater ,as it needs the water to erode the soft sandstone rock into these interesting shapes.

Hey listen guys I hope sky news does not leave filming the scavengers on the south west English coast ref the stranded boat to filma a load of geeks loading rocks into their cars off blessington lakes :oops:

More
24 Jan 2007 17:09 #51 by essjay (S Jackson)
This is about the best I can do....

More
24 Jan 2007 17:51 #52 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
The word Eustace just below the letter s of that word, what you save on buying the rocks in you LFS you could pay on a new suspension as I remember ruining my Dads Volvo 340 god bless his soal. bring a couple of buckets and watch the gap between the wheel and the wheel arch.
Bring some gloves and wellies although fisherman's waders are better.

More
24 Jan 2007 17:55 #53 by essjay (S Jackson)
think I know it. Is there a car park there with some woodland?

More
24 Jan 2007 18:11 #54 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
No below that where the word Mor is there is just road and you have to half park in the ditch.

More
25 Jan 2007 04:34 #55 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
I reckon there might be an Extraordinary General Meeting of ITFS on Saturday at a lakeshore near you !

Aquatic Village watch out your car park will be full of motorists arriving wheelie style with the weight in car boots...........they won't be buying rocks though.

Processor.
(Note to self : Must go down to Blessington today to measure water level and then compare on Monday)

More
25 Jan 2007 05:16 #56 by essjay (S Jackson)
anyone ever put slate roofing tiles in the tanks?

More
25 Jan 2007 05:43 #57 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
That info must be worth a drink :roll:

More
25 Jan 2007 05:45 #58 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I'd be concerned about using modern roofing slate in a fish tank. The majority of modern slate is manufactured. Not mined like in the good old days (welsh or Clare slate). The problems that might be associated with using composite slate is that you don't know what they put into the mixture and then what might subsequently leech back into your tank.

If you are looking to use slate use the stuff that is actually mined! It will be easy to tell the difference between the two!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2007 06:57 #59 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Slate is OK to use, also tiles that look like slate as used for tiling floors. I built terraces in a tank and it's there for a couple of years no without any problems

More
01 Feb 2007 12:59 #60 by zig (zig)
Did anybody ever follow up on this, any results??

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds