Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice needed on 1100 litre tank.

More
15 Jan 2007 17:20 #1 by Acara (Dave Walters)
My mate has a rather largish tank that he hopes to keep freshwater ray in.He would like to keep some surface dwellers or similar also,maybe some sort of garfish,but i'm having trouble finding a species of suitable size on the net.Anybody know of any?Another option could be an arrowana if suitable.Any other suggestions?
The tank is about 6x3.5x3ft,holding about 1100ltrs.What would be a suitable filter set-up,a single large one,or maybe two smaller ones in case of breakdown,etc?
Also,the same question re heater.Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Would love the tank myself,but finances,etc,etc.It will be located in the soon to be built bar,next to the soon to be built fish house,I know,the lucky b**t**d!!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2007 04:46 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Acara
Nice tank!
Arowana would be fine, garfish get big, could try hujeta from south america dont get too big.
lots of species will go with rays, as long as they are large enough not to get eaten and not too aggressive , ive seen anything from large barbs/characins/discus to large s.a. cichlids/catfish(keep away from predatory cats as they can "fold" over the rays wings and eat them!) also make sure the rays are able too compete for food, feed them with tanktongs very good for large fish!
two large filters would be best, as you say as backup pos. even pond filters . large fish can regurgitate food for whatever reason and if the filters cannot cope they may suffer!
two heaters again would be better, use heater guards as large fish will easily break heaters or better external heaters.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2007 05:06 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Advice needed on 1100 litre tank.
Hi Acara,

I would have a sump under the tank. You can hide the heaters in there and would not run the risk of your rays getting burned. You will also have a much greater filter volume, your maintenace will be greatly reduced and your friend's tank will look better since all the hardware will be in the sump.

By the way, fairly pricey fish selection

Holger

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2007 05:41 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Advice needed on 1100 litre tank.
Sounds like a super tank. A sump would be the best.
Personally I don`t like Rays and I don`t think that they are suitable to keep in home aquariums.

I am aganst really large fish being kept in home tanks.
Arrowanas/Rays/Red tailed sharks/Pacu shoul not be sold by shops unless you have a massive indoor heated pond or tank the size of a small bedrom and they are brought in especially by order.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2007 06:08 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Advice needed on 1100 litre tank.
Go for one of the smaller species that level out at about 30 cm across, such as Potamotrygon motoro, p, sp, Itaituba (P14), P.scobina, P. hystrix and P. reticulatus. I have no isea how much they cost and where to get them. Fins and things in Midleton had motoros recently.

Avoid P. leopoldi that will get to 50cm across and will be to big for your tank.

I have never kept them myself but I have a friend who bred motoros and keeps a couple of other species. So I only have second hand information for you but my mate's been at this game almost as long as I so the information can be trusted.

He also keep arowanas with him but his tank is about double the size of yours.

Holger

More
22 Jan 2007 11:04 #6 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
what about a tiger shovelnose or some xl oscars?

More
22 Jan 2007 11:31 #7 by essjay (S Jackson)

what about a tiger shovelnose or some xl oscars?

Do they not grow to about 4 feet? I think the Lima Shovelnose grows to about 18 inches....

More
24 Jan 2007 14:17 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Thanks to you all for the advice.Given us a few ideas to think about.I tend to agree with Anthony regarding large fish.The tank will be home to a couple of ray,he has a motoro at the mo' in a smaller tank,so is gaining hands on experience with that.The tank was bought off a guy who use to import caiman crocs,usually about 3-4ft on import,seems they've been discussed here in another thread,however,you'll be happy to know,he won't be getting them.
Once again,many thanks.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds