Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Making your own fish food

More
04 Feb 2007 03:43 #1 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
GEL MIX FISH FOOD

Finally I have go around to telling you about the gel mix, which make the beef hearth mix look barbaric in comparison, this is not my info, and I got it when I did a 3 week work placement with the University of Miami experiment fish hatchery in 1989.
I have made this up a few times, don’t make it too wet, otherwise you have to mix loads
Of flake food to “dry it up”

The ingredients can be quite varied,(i.e spinach if its for Africans)the whole thing is held together with gelatine. The basic ingredients for this food is freshly frozen flounder and squid, which both can be obtained from local supermarkets. The flounder should thoroughly thawed before use, and as much excess water as possible drawn off using paper towels. The squid should be partially thawed, skinned, eviscerated, rinsed, and patted on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Aquarium flake food are used to stabilise the gel-mix and serve as an high quality filler, for best results 1KG should be prepared at a time.

1. Blend dried flounder and squid to a smooth paste in a food
mixer/blender.
2. Add dry vitamins, chlorine chloride (methyl donor),
parika. Blend thoroughly.
3. Add the flake food until a smooth, even texture is obtained.
4. Allow mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes. (for vitamins to soak into the preparation)
5. Add gelatine powered, (dry), and blend.
6. 6 Pour vigorously boiling freshwater or saltwater if its for marines slowly while blending.
7. Pour paste into PAPER cups, let stand at room temperature for one hour, and place into in freezer.
8. to fed the fish next day take out the paper cup and run ambient temperature tap water over the end of the paper cup, so it slightly de thaws, the using a cheeses grater grate directly over the tank.

Summary Flounder 30%, Squid 15% flake food 15%, gelatine 20%, water 15%, vitamins 1%, chorine chloride 0.1% and paprika 0.1%

Connolly 2007
:roll:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2007 14:09 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Making your own fish food
flake food makes beefheart mixes look sofisticated. pretty close to what I feed my discus. I'm using cod and shrimp instead of flounder and squid, though.

More
04 Feb 2007 16:51 #3 by essjay (S Jackson)
Quick question - why the Gelatine? Surely when frozen eveything will stick together anyway?

More
05 Feb 2007 01:23 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
When it thaws/goes into the tank it will make a right mess, other wise, the gelatin is a bit like the clear stuff in cat food, the main ingredient can be any thing but normally it is fish/crustean 2:1 ratio

crustean=any animal without a back bone e.g shrimp squid etc

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2007 09:49 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Making your own fish food

When it thaws/goes into the tank it will make a right mess, other wise, the gelatin is a bit like the clear stuff in cat food, the main ingredient can be any thing but normally it is fish/crustean 2:1 ratio

crustean=any animal without a back bone e.g shrimp squid etc

Crustaceans are animals with shells.
Invertebrates have no backbone. Must check the time of this post. :lol: :lol:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2007 10:07 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
8.23 am. he must be hitting the bottle early. Squid's no crustacean

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2007 10:12 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Making your own fish food

I recon he brought his laptop to the early house. :lol: :lol: :lol:

More
05 Feb 2007 11:00 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Its an invertebrate especially when you pull the thin semi transparent soft bony thing out, and when you blend him he is even less of a invert, more like porridge.

P.S no jokes about soft Bonny thing please, its a family forum.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2007 13:06 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Stop pulling things out. Famiuly friendly forum and all :P

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds